Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

548e4ce456754.image.jpg

Sgt William Shemin During World War I

Jewish-American WWI Vet with Family in St Louis to Get Medal of Honor (stltoday.com; Bogan)

A woman from Webster Groves will go to Washington, D.C., soon to receive the Army's highest honor on behalf of her deceased father, a Jewish-American World War I vet who fought in France in 1918.

Elsie Shemin-Roth, who is in her 80's, spent many years slogging through bureaucratic red tape to get her father, William Shemin, considered for the Medal of Honor. A waiver of time limitations needed to be cleared by Congress because the award is supposed to be given within five years of an act of heroism.

On Thursday, the White House announced its decision to award Shemin the medal posthumously in a ceremony June 2.

Reached by telephone, Shemin-Roth said the government had asked her not to comment publicly for the time being. She told the Post-Dispatch in December: "I am just so pleased that we are finally going down the homestretch.”

U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Missouri, said in a press release that the announcement "fulfills a long-delayed duty.” Shemin-Roth’s former Congressman, Blaine Luetkemeyer, a Republican, also helped along the way, among others.

In 1919, Shemin was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for “extraordinary heroism,” according to a citation signed by Gen. John J. Pershing. A recommendation letter for that medal mentioned six witnesses who saw Shemin risk his life during three days of intense battle near Bazoches, France, in 1918.

“Sgt. Shemin repeatedly, and at the most imminent risk of life and limb, exposed himself to the fire of the enemy to bring in from the open fields before our position, which was constantly swept by heavy fire, several wounded comrades,” the letter states.

Due to casualties, Shemin had to take command of his platoon, in which he distinguished himself for being “utterly fearless” and a “big factor in maintaining splendid morale and tactical efficiency,” according to the letter.

Born to Russian immigrants, Shemin grew up in Bayonne, N.J. He was a serious athlete who studied to be a forest ranger before enlisting in the Army in 1917 when he was 18. After the war, he played varsity football and lacrosse for Syracuse University.

With a degree in forestry, he ran a successful greenhouse and nursery business in the Bronx. He also started a Jewish War Veterans chapter there.

He died in 1973.

ACC Spring Meetings End Quietly, Work on ACC Network Continues to Progress (cbsports.com; Dodd)

An actual network asking folks to pay extra on their cable bills to watch ACC sports events has been all the rage as the conference remakes itself.

“It's going to happen,” gushed one source within the conference this week at the ACC spring meetings.

The statement was made more out of anticipation than any finding of fact. While an ACC Network is a possibility, commissioner John Swofford doubted that the subject “moved off the dime in the last 24-48 hours. It's still something we'll look at together and evaluate very thoroughly.”

The meetings wrapped up Thursday with some amazement lingering that it could actually happen. No, not Coach K's bloated salary -- the fact that the once-battered league can eventhink about forming a network.

Six months ago, it would have been laughable. Now it's at least a possibility. Earlier this week, ESPN college programming czar Burke Magnus spoke to ACC officials during a routine stop.
“I think that's totally in ESPN's hands,” Louisville AD Tom Jurich said. “People a lot smarter than me can figure it out.”

ESPN has its hands full lately in terms of networks, what with the Longhorn puttering along and the SEC Network about to be launched into the TV ether. What the heck would the four-letter want investing in an ACC Network?

usa-today-7409728.0.jpg

Anyone Remember Lollipopgate? (gobblercountry.com; Hatfield)

Yes, SU fans have fond memories of Frank Beamer making a fool of himself. Check out the video to remember why Dwight Freeney was the best defensive player in the history of the Big East

In 2001 Virginia Tech hosted Syracuse in a meeting of two Big East rivals. The Hokies were ranked #4 in the country heading into the game, and hopes were high that Virginia Tech would continue being a national championship contender. The game was best described as ugly, and the weather was worse. Tech fell behind early, and never threatened in the eventual Orangemen victory. I attended that game, and like most fans, left dejected. The next day, the newspapers had the game recap as usual. That didn't catch my eye, as I was none too pleased to relive an embarrassing loss. Days after the monumental upset, stories began floating around about some chicanery. Syracuse kicker, Colin Barber, had allegedly used an unfair advantage in his field goal kicking. At the time, I chalked it up as a "sore loser" type deal, but in the age of the internet, I did some digging.

According to hokiesports.com, here was one version. Keep in mind this was was 2001, and the mainstream internet was in its' infancy.

"Syracuse kicker Colin Barber and holder Jared Jones used the leftover stem of a butterscotch Dum Dum to line up a 45-yard field goal attempt in the fourth quarter of Syracuse's 22-14 win over Tech. Barber made the field goal, which gave the Orangemen a 20-7 lead.

Tech's coaching staff went ballistic after they noticed Barber messing around on the turf before and after the kick. They brought this up to the officials and defensive coordinator Bud Foster even went out on the field and picked up the stem, but to no avail."

--hokiesports.com article dated October, 30 2001.

All the conspiracy theories in the world can't explain away why we were in the position to lose to unranked Syracuse to begin with, but I was fascinated. First there were logistics:How does one smuggle a lollipop onto the field during a major college football game involving a top five team? How does the Syracuse staff not know this was happening? What did the official do with the sucker stick presented to him by Bud Foster? What, if any was the reaction of the Big East conference? Again, the game was never really in question, but would it have been barring some fantastic field goals from the 'Cuse? When the story really started developing legs, the coaches got involved. During Frank Beamer's weekly press conference the questions were still coming. According to staffer Doug Wood of Daily Press, there were some interesting comments from the staff.

"I would never accuse (Syracuse coach) Paul Pasqualoni of anything that's not right," said Hokies coach Frank Beamer as he sat handling a lollipop which was planted by a reporter Tuesday. "We're too good friends and I trust him.

"The way the thing came up is we saw the kicker picking something up off the grass after he kicked the ball, and that was unusual. I mean, what would you be picking up? ... I thought it was unusual that the kicker fiddled around on the ground there before he kicked that (45-yard) field goal.''

After Barber's field goal that put the Orangemen ahead 20-7 early in the fourth quarter Saturday, Bud Foster, Virginia Tech's defensive coordinator, picked the lollipop up off the field and showed it to an official.

For the record, Hokies trainer Mike Goforth identified the candy as a "butterscotch-flavored Dum- Dum."

Beamer added that he and his staff had noticed on game film that Syracuse's kickers were placing something on the field. Beamer's staff alerted Big East officials, but no complaints were filed. Beamer said he discussed with his own kickers the potential advantages of placing the lollipop. The answer was that kickers often try to keep a perspective of 90-degree angles to the goalposts, and by placing a marker on the field, a kicker might be able to achieve this goal.

No one can debate that we lost that game, just like no one can debate the Patriots destroyed the Colts in the playoffs last year. The N.F.L. has made an example of Tom Brady and the rest of the Patriots. The Big East did nothing with the Syracuse club. Is this an indication of the internet age we live in, or does that loss still resonate with me? Truthfully, its probably a little of both. We had the better team, and I was, for one of the few times, embarrassed at Lane Stadium that chilly afternoon. I don't mind losing, just as long as we play by the same rules. I have included the actual game tape of the 2001 tilt, and you can be the judge. It's still cool seeing Dwight Freeney in his college days, as well some great all-time Hokies. Special thanks to hokietapes for sharing.

Getting Ahead of the Game3: Midstate Fall Sports Athletes Enroll a Semester Early to Transition to College Athletics (pennlive.com; Kantor)

Colton Storm spent the night of Cumberland Valley’s senior prom more than six hours from home, keeping up with the night’s events via social media. A group text that had allowed him to stay in touch with high school friends was now flooded with talk of dates, dinner, picture spots and post-prom plans.

He sat in his dorm scrolling through photos of corsages and limos, watching from afar as his friends posted updates of a high school ritual he had chosen to forgo.

Instead, Storm was preparing for finals and a 6 a.m. soccer practice the next day.

Non-football coaches and players often refer to the practice as gray shirting, although the same phrase is used by football programs in reference to players that defer enrollment by a semester.

Football programs instead call the players that join in the spring “early enrollees.”

Early enrollment numbers in college football have grown year by year since the early 2000s.

The number of players enrolling early at BCS automatic-bid conferences (and Notre Dame) was 162 players in the spring of 2013, the largest number since USA Today began tracking the trend in 2002. Penn State football had two early enrollees in 2008 and in 2010, seven recruits enrolled a semester early. Five players enrolled early in each Penn State class since 2013.

A club teammate of Jacobs also started early at Monmouth. Nationally-ranked long snapper Matt Keller enrolled early at Syracuse.

The presence of early enrollees on a roster hinges on the preference of a coach—some prefer international students or transfers rather than early enrollees—as well as the academic and emotional readiness of a student.

ACC News

Why North Carolina Recruiting is Different (sbnation.com; Elliott)

Bordering SEC country without an SEC school in-state, North Carolina has major talent without the conference pressure.

Covering camps all over the country each year for SB Nation, I get a feel for the football culture of different regions. Saturday, I was in Charlotte for Nike's The Opening Regional's tour stop. Just like in Georgia, Alabama or Louisiana, the Bar-B-Q and the Southern drawl are present, as is the athleticism not found in many other places.

And North Carolina is about as close to being SEC territory as a state without an SEC team can be. Three of its four border states are home to SEC teams, and the SEC Network is based on Charlotte.

But culturally, football in North Carolina is different. There is not near as much college-related gear in the crowds. And unlike in Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama or Louisiana, you don't hear the same loyalty and respect paid to one conference over another.

Notre Dame defensive end commitment Julian Okwara, of Charlotte (NC) Ardrey Kell was an impressive looking pass rusher at 6'4, 220 and could play standing up or with his hand in the dirt.

And defensive tackle Christian Colon, of Charlotte (NC) Independence High School had a strong day as well. Colon holds offers from Penn State, Syracuse, North Carolina, N.C. State, Boston College and others, and in the last year has lost over 30 pounds. The difference was noticeable with Colon's quickness.

Other

-1547e00fcdaea7a3.jpg

Our Wedding: At Look at syracusefan.com's couple of the year: Niko and Farah (PS)

It took some coaxing from Channel 3 co-workers Matt Mulcahy and Wayne Mahar, but Niko Tamurian finally worked up the nerve to ask Farah Jadran on a date. Later, in front of 650 people at a charity fashion show, Niko proposed. They married on May 2, 2015. Here's the story of Farah and Niko's big day.

Bride name: Farah Jadran

Groom name: Niko Tamurian

Bride job: Social Media Manager, TWC News (Former managing editor of Syracuse Woman Magazine)

Groom's job: Sports Director and Sports Anchor, NBC 3, CBS 5 and CW 6

Residence: Syracuse, New York

Bride's parents Mohammad and Jeanie Jadran

Groom's parents Peter J. Tamurian, Michele and Joseph Rourke

Wedding location: St. Matthew's Church, East Syracuse

Reception location: The Oncenter, Syracuse.

Where did you meet? Farah and Niko met through mutual friends and colleagues as members of the local media in Central New York. It was actually their philanthropic spirit and love for animals that started a friendly dialogue. The actual first date came about after Niko was encouraged by two co-workers to finally ask Farah on a date. During an evening newscast, Farah appeared on a pre-taped business segment, which prompted Niko to express his interest in asking her out on a date. Niko's co-workers, Matt Mulcahy and Wayne Mahar, both jumped on the opportunity to encourage him to follow through. Niko called Farah the following day, and although nervous, he asked her on a formal dinner date that took place about a week later.