Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

-30956bd64605a36d.JPG

William Shemin in His SU Football Uniform

SU Alum's Daughter Fought for 13 Years to Get Her Father the Medal of Homor He Deserved (PS; Waters)

Elsie Shemin-Roth, then just 12 years old, sat on the porch of her parents' home in the Bronx as a visitor told stories of her father's heroics in World War I.

Elsie had heard the stories before. About how her father risked his life to save three members of his platoon. About the bullet that struck his helmet before lodging near his ear, leaving him deaf in that ear. About the shrapnel in his back, lodging so close to his spine that doctors could not remove it.

But Elsie had not heard this visitor's story.

jewish-veteran-medal-of-honor-35863de1763644bc.jpg

Jim Pritchard served alongside William Shemin in the 47th Infantry Regiment during World War I. Pritchard was one of three soldiers that Shemin rescued during a three-day battle with the Germans near Bazoches, France.

Pritchard, who had returned from the war to become a police officer in Bayonne, N.J., had come to visit with Shemin. Pritchard told young Elsie that her father, who had been awarded a Purple Heart and the Distinguished Cross, had deserved the Medal of Honor.

"He told me that the reason my father never got the medal was because he was a Jew,'' Elsie Shemin-Roth said last week. "It devastated me. I never let it go. Dad wasn't about medals. He just said, 'Let's move on.' I knew I couldn't approach it again.''

Former Syracuse Star Shamarko Thomas Ready to Step In and Replace Troy Polamalu (PS; AP)

Shamarko Thomas wasn't necessarily looking for a role model when he arrived from Syracuse to the Pittsburgh Steelers as a fourth-round draft pick out of Syracuse in 2013.

After muddling through an uneven rookie year, the safety quickly identified one last spring and was thrilled that veteran Troy Polamalu was glad to help.

"I definitely am closer to him than I am to anybody," Thomas said. "My second year, I went to him in the offseason and said that I want to be great, and he just told me that being great isn't just about being a great football player. It's putting God first and your family, and everything else will fall into place."

Polamalu's retirement after 12 years in the league now could shape Thomas' future with Pittsburgh, after he barely scratched the surface of his potential during his first two seasons because of injuries and inexperience. It's something the Steelers anticipated when they originally targeted Thomas.

"I'm definitely sorry that Troy's gone, and I can't replace him," Thomas said. "He's a Hall of Famer. I'm not worried about the job right now. I'm just out here trying to compete and trying to get involved with my team and just working hard."

Thomas played special teams exclusively last season and made five solo tackles in 11 games. He missed time because of various injuries, and staying healthy has been difficult because of the way Thomas tends to throw his body around on the field. He's well aware the missed practices and games have hampered his development.

B-9l4MRU0AEAhso.jpg:large

Wiscy Summer Camp Features SU Recruiting Target OL Chase Behrndt (buckys5thquarter.com; Kocorowski)

B5Q: Who are some of the names heading into this weekend's camp?

Ben Worgull (BW): This will be a big weekend for offensive linemen. Perhaps the biggest name coming in this weekend is Wildwood (Lafayette), Mo. offensive guard Chase Behrndt, a three-star prospect by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. who has three power five offers from Illinois, Kansas and Syracuse. There are also some big in-state players - Brookfield East'sMike Caliendo (Western Michigan commit), Waukesha West's Sam Heckel and Luxemburg-Casco's Spencer Kanz - who are expected to attend. None of the four mentioned players have Wisconsin offers despite having around 40 combined offers from other schools.

Offensive coordinator/line coach Joe Rudolph's main recruiting focus on the line is Hartland Arrowhead's Ben Bredeson -- At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.'s top offensive guard in the country- and Green Bay Bay Port's Cole Van Lanen, another four-star prospect, but an offer being extended isn't out of the question if one of the above players shines. Additionally, if Behrndt, Heckel or Kanz gets an offer, Wisconsin would likely become the immediate favorite, with a quick commitment not being out of the question.

Other

Screen-Shot-2014-02-13-at-11.34.17-AM1.png

Alexandra Curtis, SU Alumna, Crowned Miss Rhode Island 2015 (PS; Herbert)

Here she is, Miss Rhode Island: Alexandra Curtis, a Syracuse University alumna and former Miss Upstate New York winner.

Curtis, known to her classmates at SU as Allie, was crowned Miss Rhode Island 2015 on Saturday at Rhode Island College. She'll represent her home state in the Miss America pageant this September in Atlantic City, N.J.

The Providence Journal reports Curtis is a 23-year-old master's candidate in public administration at Brown University. Her pageant platform of female empowerment is titled "Leading Ladies: Equipping Young Women With The Skills to Lead."

According to The Daily Orange, the beauty queen was president of Syracuse University's Student Association, was a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and served as co-president of the Class of 2014's Student Council.

While attending SU, she won the title of Miss Upstate New York in 2013. If she goes on to win Miss America, she'll be the second Syracuse University alumna to wear the national crown after Vanessa Williams won in 1983.

Fayetteville's Nina Davuluri was a former Miss Syracuse winner when she was crowned Miss America in 2013, though she spent a large portion of her childhood in Michigan and attended the University of Michigan.

"So... When does it sink in that you will be competing for @MissAmerica?! #pinchme," Curtis wrote on Twitter Sunday night.

According to WPRI, no Miss Rhode Island has ever won the Miss America pageant. However, Olivia Culpo represented the state when she won the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants in 2012.

Last edited:
It is like an archeological dig back to the primitive times circa 1980, when the Dome did not have a wooden court for basketball. I believe that court has a tartan surface like the one Manley Field House had before the men's team moved north.

It is like an archeological dig back to the primitive times circa 1980, when the Dome did not have a wooden court for basketball. I believe that court has a tartan surface like the one Manley Field House had before the men's team moved north.

It is fascinating. I hadn't remembered that the NCAA Track and Field Championships were hosted there in 84 and 85.

Knee and ankle wrecker.

That's why they bought a wooden court several years later.

It is fascinating. I hadn't remembered that the NCAA Track and Field Championships were hosted there in 84 and 85.

The track is the reason Jake hesitated to replace the AstroTurf in the Dome.

He didn't want to lose a really nice asset.

https://accsports.com/wake-adds-transfer-db/

Wake Forest picked up Maryland graduate transfer Zach Dancel for the 2015 football season, the Rivals website Deacons Illustrated reported on June 1.

Dancel is a fifth-year transfer and is eligible right away due to the graduate transfer rule. He will have one season of eligibility with the Demon Deacons.

This move marks the third stop in Dancel’s college career. After graduating from Maryland’s Good Counsel High School in 2010, he started as a defensive back at New Mexico. He then transferred closer to home to Maryland, where he took a redshirt in 2012, contributed as a special teams player in 2013 and saw the field more regularly in 2014. As a junior last season, he played in 10 games, making one start at safety. He made 15 tackles on the year and registered a pair of pass break-ups.

It remains to be seen how Dancel will fit into Wake Forest’s secondary. He’s played both safety and cornerback, so he should be a valuable piece for the Demon Deacons as they continue to stock up in the 4-2-5 defense. Wake Forest lost three senior starters in the secondary, so the door is open for Dancel to claim significant playing time. If he stays at safety, he’ll compete with Jalen Letter, Thomas Brown, Ryan Janvion and a host of freshmen for a spot on the depth chart.