Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
strawberry-parfait-final2.jpg

Welcome to National Strawberry Parfait Day!

SU News

usa-today-7657389.0.jpg

SU Football 2015 Opponent Preview: Florida State Seminoles (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

It's not football season yet, I know. But it's 71 days away, for those keeping track (maybe people other than me now?). And that means we're prepping for this all-important 2015 season at Syracuse. We start with our opponents, which "may" not be as tough as they've been in recent seasons. Each week, we'll preview another team on the 2015 slate, from week one through week 13. Today, we continue with the:

Florida State Seminoles
School: Florida State University

Mascot: Seminoles

#BRAND Slogan: "Raise the Torch"

Alternate #BRAND Slogan Suggestions: "#TalkinBouttheNoles." "In Pursuit of 'Nole-edge"

Recommended Blog: Tomahawk Nation (but you knew that already)

Conference: Atlantic Coast Conference

Coach: Jimbo Fisher, 6th year. Fisher's been in Tallahassee for five years, and in that time, he's successfully brought Florida State football "back" in every possible way. Four double-digit win seasons. Three ACC titles. Three (four, if you want to count the old Chick-fil-A Bowl) major bowl games. And of course, one National Championship. Oh, and this program has been raking in four- and five-star recruits for half-a-decade... and at a higher rate than basically any school not named Alabama. Needless to say, Fisher's done his job.

558b252465011.image.jpg

Local Children Get Help From Pro Athletes at Bucks County Football Camp (theintell.com; Wallace)

Dream big and do everything you can to make those dreams come true.

That’s the message some 250 children and their parents received from New York Giants’ offensive lineman Justin Pugh, several of his National Football League buddies, 35 volunteers and 35 coaches when Pugh came home last weekend to fulfill one of his own dreams.

The event was the first free youth football camp in Holland — The Pugh Crew Summer Kickoff — held at Council Rock High School South’s practice football field, the same field where Pugh learned the game that led to his professional football career.

After several months of planning by Pugh, his mother, Carolyn Gavaghan of Holland, local family members, the NFL and his own team, the eager children grabbed their white “Pugh Crew” T-shirts and headed onto the field to learn from the pros.

The coaches, dressed in navy T-shirts, blew the first whistles and the children were poised and ready for their extensive practice drills and lessons on teamwork, sportsmanship and setting goals, which are important in both sports and life.

The morning session was held for children ages 6 through 12, while the afternoon session targeted those 13 through 18.

“This camp has long been one of my dreams — and I am thrilled to see it take off,” said Pugh, 24, a starting offensive tackle. “My family and friends came out to support me and we will continue to get better at it.”

He vowed that his local youth football camp will become an annual community event.

“I wholeheartedly believe that these kids can be anything they want to be,” said Pugh. “If you have a goal and you pursue it — of being in the NFL, being a doctor, an artist or anything else — you keep building off that, and one day, you will achieve those goals.”

While throwing a football around, two local pals, Kyle, 8, and Ryder, 7, said it was truly a great day.

“I came because I thought this was going to be a great day, and boy, it’s a lot of fun,” Ryder said. “I hope I can play for the Giants one day, just like Justin.”

Teaching the game during a variety of practice drills were several of Pugh’s football buddies: NFL free agents and fellow Syracuse football alumni Alec Lemon and Jarrod West, and Zack Chibane, who left the game to attend law school.

His pals said when they were asked to come to town for the camp, they did not hesitate.

“This is really special to me to help teach these kids the fundamentals of football,” said Lemon, 24. “It’s really all about seeing the enjoyment on their faces.”

Lemon added he wants these children to understand they control their own destiny.

His advice: “Don’t let anybody set the bar for you in life. People doubted me when it came to football and my making it to the NFL, but I didn’t listen. I tell the children to set their own boundaries and figure out what they are capable of. If they believe it, the sky is the limit!”

West, 23, said he had a great day with the kids.

“This was a blast,” he said. “I hope that they can take what they learned, carry it over and use it in football and everyday life.”

Other

18177984-standard.jpg

Eleven Things You Should Know About Mariona Rivera Jr As He Makes Pro Debut with Auburn Doubledays (PS; Kramer)

Mariano Rivera Jr., son of the legendary New York Yankees closer by the same name, will likely be spending a good deal of summer pitching in Central New York.

The Washington Nationals took the younger Rivera in the fourth round of the 2015 draft (134th overall). The Nationals have assigned him to the short-season Class A Auburn Doubledays, who begin their home season Thursday at Falcon Park.

https://accsports.com/clemson-tackle-to-enter-nfl-supplemental-draft/

Senior offensive tackle Isaiah Battle will enter the NFL Supplemental Draft. Head Coach Dabo Swinney made the announcement on Thursday.

“I have some family matters to address, with a child due this summer, and I feel it is in my best interest to enter the NFL Supplemental Draft,” Battle said. “I want to thank everyone at Clemson, especially Coach Swinney and the assistant coaches, for what they have done for me the last three years. I also want to thank my teammates. They have all had a big impact on my career.”

Battle played in 27 games for the Tigers, 16 as a starter, over the last three years. That included 11 starts in 12 games last season on Clemson’s 10-3 team that ranked 15th in the final polls. He started four games on Clemson’s top-10 team of 2013 and played in five games as a freshman in 2012.

Battle came off the bench to play 73 snaps when Gifford Timothy was injured early against LSU in the 2012 Chick-Fil-A Bowl, helping the Tigers to a 25-24 win.

“We appreciate all that Isaiah has done for the program the last three years,” Swinney said. “He has made great progress in his development and has been a big contributor to our success the last three years, especially in each of the last three bowl games when he had outstanding games against very talented defensive lines from LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma. We wish him well in his pursuit of a professional career.”

Swinney said Battle’s departure will open an opportunity for true freshman Mitch Hyatt.

“This will create a great opportunity for Mitch as a true freshman,” Swinney said. “We liked what we saw from Mitch in the spring, and look forward to seeing his progress in August. We have other young offensive linemen who will also have a new opportunity for playing time.”

Clemson has not started a true freshman on the offensive line for the course of the season since 2004 when Barry Richardson started seven of the 11 games.