Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
d5b28da5a5a099da7d59daac3340f94a.jpg

Welcome to National Meteor Watch Day!

SU News

Cp9rbEBM.jpg

Stud NJ OLB Dymelle Parker Chooses Syracuse (PS; Bailey)

In the past two weeks, the Syracuse coaching staff wasn't ready to accept a commitment from one New Jersey linebacker and directed another elsewhere.

With likely only one linebacker spot left in its Class of 2016, the Orange has been selective. And on Monday, SU received a pledge from one of its top targets, Camden (N.J.) High School outside linebacker Dymelle Parker.

Parker announced the decision on Twitter.

"First I would like to thank god for blessing me with such great talent and being able to compete every day," Parker wrote in an attached note. "I would like to thank the coaching staff at Camden High for helping me out and being a family to me, I came a long way. My mom is so proud of me and she stuck with me all the way. It's time to commit, it was a hard decision but I'm taking my talents to the #Cuse #TheHill by committing to the University of Syracuse."

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Parker is rated three stars and the No. 51 outside linebacker in his cycle by 247Sports.com's composite rankings. He holds offers from Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Rutgers, Indiana and Temple, among others, and recorded 76 tackles and four sacks last season, per NJ.com.

Interview with Dymelle Parker (courierpostonline.com; Benevento)

Each week Courier-Post writer Don Benevento will sit down with a wrestler in a question and answer format. This week, he talks with Camden 195-pound junior Dymelle Parker.

DB: You finished third in the districts last season. With that behind you, what are your goals for this year?

DP: I’m trying to at least place in states and then finish off my senior year with a state championship. I’m trying to follow our recent champion, Andrew Stevens.

DB: How much influence did he have on you are your team?

DP: A lot. He helped us out a lot last year. He gave us confidence in matches and there was a lot of leadership. This is my second year of wrestling and he talked a lot of football players to come out. I tried it, I was good at it, I liked contact and all of that.

DB: It’s a tough sport. A lot of guys to like the contact.

DP: I’m a linebacker on the football team. I like to hit.

DB: What’s your strength as a wrestler?

DP: My strength is neutral, double-leg takedown, single legs. I don’t like to be on the bottom.

DB: Being new to wrestling, how did you feel wrestling the districts last year?

DP: I was nervous. Every match I got butterflies.

DB: You didn’t think of wrestling at all as a child?

DP: It was all football and track and basketball.

DB: But you don’t play basketball in school.

DP: No. I wanted to try my own thing.

DB: How do you feel about the way the program has been bouncing back in recent years?

DP: I think we are bouncing back. I think by the end of next year, we have a lot of young guys on our team and it’s been a lot of losing. But I think by the end of next year we’re going to be thinking about winning.”

Dymelle Parker Qualifies for State Wrestling Chsampionship (courierpostonline.com; Benevento)

It seems like it wouldn’t be a state wrestling championship if a competitor from Camden High School wasn’t involved.

For the third straight year, the Panthers qualified a wrestler to compete in Atlantic City this coming weekend.

This year the honor goes to 195-pound junior Dy’Melle Parker, who advanced with a third-place finish at the Region 7 championships at Robbinsville High School.

He follows a two-year run in which heavyweight Andrew Stevens made it to Boardwalk Hall. Stevens went on to win a state championship last season.

Before that, no Camden wrestler had gone to the states since 1999.

“We like the trip,” longtime Camden coach Hedley Thame said with a smile. “This is wonderful. It makes me feel like we belong.”

Parker advanced with an 11-5 decision over Michael Whittington of Trenton Central. A No. 6 seed, Parker defeated the No. 3 Whittington twice in the tournament, including a 21-9 decision in the quarterfinals Friday night.

“I just wanted to make a statement that Camden is on the rise,” Parker said. “Everybody is getting more wins than they had the year before and we have some freshmen and sophomores who are coming with me next year.”

Parker succeeded despite having a case of turf toe that limited his ability to shoot.

However, he said he felt better by match time. He possesses a lot of physical strength and athletic ability that allows him to overcome some shortcomings.

“He’s physically tough and he’s extremely quick,” said Thame. “And he’s only a two-year wrestler. But he’s a heck of an athlete. He’s a football player and he runs track. Whatever he’s done, he’s done really, really well with.”

According to Parker, having to wrestle Whittington twice in such a short period of time was a benefit to him. He went into the match Saturday knowing what to expect from his opponent.

“All he wanted to do was lock on me, so I was just trying to keep my distance,” Parker said. “I wanted to take my shots because I know I had speed over him. I knew I had an advantage because when it’s speed over strength, speed is always going to win.”

CGfmGubW0AAOv85.jpg

SU Football Earns First Commitment From Class of 2017 (cnycentral.com)

Somerset Academy (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) WR Daewood Davis verbally committed to the Orange on Monday. Davis is the first Class of 2017 recruit to commit to Syracuse.

Davis, drawing national headlines, originally committed to the Miami Hurricanes on June 12th, but according to the Miami Herald, there was a miscommunication within the coaching staff and after a meeting, they decided not to accept his scholarship offer. Davis, a three-star recruit according to , chose Syracuse over Louisville, Cincinnati, North Carolina State, and others.

Davis has not yet made an official visit with the Orange but At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. reports that he will make a visit as early as next month. The 6-2, 175 pound product is a solid start to Syracuse’s Class of 2017. The speedster runs the 40 meter dash in 4.36 seconds, according to his highlight reel and possesses a rare combination of height and speed many coaches are looking for.

However, Davis’ commitment is not set in stone until he signs his National Letter of Intent in February, 2017.

Uh oh... Let the "University of Syracuse" diatribes begin... :oops:

-dc00e6bc7a2e1a34.jpg

Rex Culpepper, Scoop Bradshaw Overcome Racial, Financial Gaps; Head to Syracuse as 'Brothers' (PS; Bailey)

Robert Weiner sat outside the Culpeppers' 6,109-square-foot waterfront home and watched over the fence as Derek Jeter unloaded his new boat.

The estate, though dwarfed in size by Jeter's, was purchased by NFL defensive tackle turned personal injury attorney Brad Culpepper for $3.3 million and features a waterfront balcony, private boat lift and full gym.

Weiner, in his 11th year coaching football and teaching English at Plant High School in Tampa, Fla., said he's witnessed the chasm between the white and black and rich and poor communities of Hillsborough County expand gradually during his tenure.

But as he turned his attention to his two junior captains and their families, Weiner saw that divide close just a little a bit.

Brad's son, Rex, had committed to play quarterback for Syracuse the week earlier. He was there with his parents and siblings.

Johayward "Scoop" Bradshaw Jr., a defensive back with a far tougher upbringing — rent payments often an issue for his mother, and his father of the same name going in and out of jail for most of his life — was over for the afternoon with his mother and stepfather. He was preparing to join Rex in Central New York.

-dc00e6bc7a2e1a34.jpg

Rex Culpepper, Scoop Bradshaw Overcome Racial, Financial Gaps; Head to Syracuse as 'Brothers' (PS; Bailey)

Robert Weiner sat outside the Culpeppers' 6,109-square-foot waterfront home and watched over the fence as Derek Jeter unloaded his new boat.

The estate, though dwarfed in size by Jeter's, was purchased by NFL defensive tackle turned personal injury attorney Brad Culpepper for $3.3 million and features a waterfront balcony, private boat lift and full gym.

Weiner, in his 11th year coaching football and teaching English at Plant High School in Tampa, Fla., said he's witnessed the chasm between the white and black and rich and poor communities of Hillsborough County expand gradually during his tenure.

But as he turned his attention to his two junior captains and their families, Weiner saw that divide close just a little a bit.

Brad's son, Rex, had committed to play quarterback for Syracuse the week earlier. He was there with his parents and siblings.

Johayward "Scoop" Bradshaw Jr., a defensive back with a far tougher upbringing — rent payments often an issue for his mother, and his father of the same name going in and out of jail for most of his life — was over for the afternoon with his mother and stepfather. He was preparing to join Rex in Central New York.

so i suppose this means no smoking in the parking lots once you get out of a car.. big change for some people.

this is the same policy most HS have now and people tend to ignore it..

upperdeck said:
so i suppose this means no smoking in the parking lots once you get out of a car.. big change for some people. this is the same policy most HS have now and people tend to ignore it..

There's a phase in period in the parking lots for Dome events until July of 2017.

I want to see them enforce this in the parking lots.

Lester on @ESPNSYRACUSE: "We've got some film now with 16 practices in." Says it allows them to improve and be better in their reps

Lester on @ESPNSYRACUSE: "We had to start from scratch" regarding he new offseason. Says the players picked it up fast

Lester on @ESPNSYRACUSE says the playbook isn't very thick, offense is based more on concepts

Lester on @ESPNSYRACUSE: "It's a little bit of everything" regarding the offense. A lot of zone running plays & west coast passing concepts

Lester on @ESPNSYRACUSE: Calls his offense a mixture of Shanahan Broncos, Kubiak's Texans, Carroll's Seahawks & Walton's 49ers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom