Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1280px-Grand_Marnier.svg.png

Welcome to National Grand Marnier Day!

National Grand Marnier Day is annually observed on July 14th. An 1880′s French invention by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, this cognac concoction is used in mixed drinks and in desserts.

Grand Marnier in used in a long list of desserts including liquor cream buns, Yule log, cranberry sauce, Crepes Suzette’ and Grand Marnier souffle creme brulee’. Grand Marnier is also used in the sauce of the roasted duck dish, “Canard a l’Orange”.

SU News

092514_S_FootballNDadvance_LoganReidsma_SP.jpg

Top 15 Preseason SU Football Storylines: #13: Usage of Brisly Estime and Ashton Broyld (DO; Dougherty)

Syracuse is getting younger in the passing game, but there should still be room in Tim Lester’s offense for Brisly Estime and Ashton Broyld.

Estime and Broyld have both shuffled through different positions as SU has shuffled through three different offensive identities in the last three seasons. Going into this year, Broyld is playing SU’s new hybrid position with Ervin Philips, Ben Lewis and freshman Tyrone Perkins. Estime is playing wide receiver after being labeled an H-back, more or less a slot receiver, the past two years.

Both players are past the point of untapped potential — Estime a junior and Broyld a senior — that was flashed in previous seasons but ultimately held down by injuries and trouble fitting into different systems.

Last year, Estime was supposed to be a perfect fit in George McDonald’s no-huddle offense, but both Estime and the offense suffered similar fates. Estime battled a recurring ankle injury all season and finished with 10 receptions for 140 yards and a touchdown.

Broyld, who joined the Orange as a four-star recruit in 2012, played in just four games last year due to a lower-right leg injury. He was tabbed as one of Terrel Hunt’s top targets heading into last season, but watched from the bench as rising sophomore Steve Ishmael grew into a No. 1 receiver catching passes from A.J. Long.

Now Syracuse’s two veteran-most options in the passing game will get another shot to gel in an offense — Estime looking to use his blazing speed and Broyld his mismatch-creating size. The Orange averaged 5.8 yards per pass attempt last season, good for second worst in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Estime and Broyld do have the ability to boost that number and their team’s passing game, but turning ability into results has proven no small task for either player.

usa-today-8147120.0.jpg

Want Syracuse Football to Improve? Maybe Just Start Emulating Baylor (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

New Syracuse Athletic Director Mark Coyle's top priority is Orange football. But the same was said of DOCTOR Daryl Gross, who proceeded to oversee SU's worst decade on the gridiron in a very long time (perhaps ever).

Plenty of ideas have been thrown around about how to go about improving Syracuse football to its previous place of prominence.Sean's own series of thoughts are particularly informative for those who want to look at this from a practical point of view. Expanding upon those, however, there's a very clear case study about how those steps and others can be taken to fix things.

I'm talking, of course, about Baylor.

I mean, look at this quote from SB Nation's Bill Connelly, who posted his Bears season preview this past Friday:

Still, I trust Baylor more than any other team in the Big 12. As crazy as that may have been to type five years ago, it's true. If you forced me to bet my life savings on a Big 12 team making a Playoff run this year (and I'd appreciate it if you didn't), I'm picking Briles' Bears.

Think about that. Baylor, which registered zero winning seasons from 1996-2009, and last finished in the AP Top 10 back in 1951, has become an annual College Football Playoff contender. Only recently have the Bears gotten above .500 in program history. This Waco, Tex. private school with a fairly small (for FBS) enrollment of just over 16,000 and zero history of success in college football is mixing it up with the sport's power players, and in half the time Oregon pulled off something similar (and as a state school).

How?

cd763115-a459-498b-941a-48f8e771cd2b~rt_0-cr_0.51.652.377-rs_1024.h

Jenna and Sam: Their (Syracuse) Story (theknot.com)

Our story is pretty much textbook, starting as friends, first date on Valentines Day and Engaged two years after that. As two athletes at Syracuse University neither of us had much free time. We first met while Jenna was in her junior year and I was a freshman. We grew close as two leaders of the Syracuse FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) from the start God was at the center and we strive to keep it that way.

After Jenna’s senior season ended and my football season got into the off-season our conversations began to evolve from planning the next FCA event to planning times we could hang out more. People that knew us both would claim to have seen it coming from a mile away , but we had both hit a point where we realized how perfect we were for each other and the influence we could have as a couple. While being together has always come naturally we still had tough times of long distance, the ups and downs of college athletics and dangerous snowy drives down I-90 between Syracuse and Buffalo. But we wouldn’t have it any other way! Through it all we are very excited to get married this July and honored that you will be joining us!

2015 SU Football Win Total Picks and NCAA Football Predictions (bayoubuzz.com; Demo)

2014 Record: 3-9

2015 Las Vegas Season Win Total: 4.5*

2015 Season Win Total Picks NCAA Football: 'Over'

The Orange were supposed to take a step forward in Scott Shafer's second season. But Syracuse couldn't overcome an absolutely brutal schedule last season and enter the 2015 season with a lot more questions than answers.

Syracuse does have a senior QB in Terrel Hunt. However, he is one of the

worst passing quarterbacks in the country. SU has four of five offensive line starters back. But this group averaged just 17.1 points per game last year (No. 118), and I don't see where they are going to improve in the attack. The defense was outstanding last year in spite of a horror-show offense. But Syracuse has just three defensive starters back and will be building from scratch.

Other

Toxic Algae Outbreak Reported in Owasco Lake (PS; Coin)

Toxic algae has been found in Owasco Lake, the state Department of Environmental Conservation said.

A bloom of the toxic blue-green algae was spotted on the west side of the lake, near Peterson Point in the town of Fleming. Blue-green algae produce toxins that can sicken people, pets or livestock if consumed or ingested in large quantities, and can cause rashes or other allergic reactions.

Owasco Lake has had an outbreak of algae every year since 2012, but this one is the earliest in the season, according to the DEC database. The others have begun in late August or early September; last year's bloom began on Aug. 22 and lasted 12 weeks.

Today, two beaches in Madison County were closed because of an algae outbreak on Cazenovia Lake. There was also an outbreak on Lake Neatahwanta in Oswego County last week.

The Cayuga County Health Department offers the following advice about algae blooms:

1. Assume blue-green algae could be present in surface water that is visibly discolored or has surface scum.

2. Don't swim, or let your pets swim, in surface water that is discolored or has surface scum. If contact does occur, wash with soap and water or rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove algae.

And for those of Y'all in the South. ;)
Much better than Grand Marnier Day. The other candidates I had were National Tape Measure Day, National Nude Day, Pandemonium Day or Shark Awareness Day. Weak.

The nearest Chick-Fil-A to Syracuse is in Scranton. 130 miles from the Carrier Dome as the cow walks.

Cow_walking.JPG

Much better than Grand Marnier Day. The other candidates I had were National Tape Measure Day, National Nude Day, Pandemonium Day or Shark Awareness Day. Weak.

The nearest Chick-Fil-A to Syracuse is in Scranton. 130 miles from the Carrier Dome as the cow walks.

Cow_walking.JPG

Humbly disagree. I'll take a bottle of Grand Marnier over a box of chicken sammiches ANY day.