Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-scotch-day-july-27.png

Welcome to National Scotch Day!

Scotch whisky, often simply called Scotch, is malt whisky or grain whisky made in Scotland. Scotch whisky must be made in a manner specified by law.

All Scotch whisky was originally made from malted barley. Commercial distilleries began introducing whisky made from wheat and rye in the late 18th century. Scotch whisky is divided into five distinct categories: single malt Scotch whisky, single grain Scotch whisky, blended malt Scotch whisky (formerly called “vatted malt” or “pure malt”), blended grain Scotch whisky, and blended Scotch whisky.

All Scotch whisky must be aged in oak barrels for at least three years. Any age statement on a bottle of Scotch whisky, expressed in numerical form, must reflect the age of the youngest whisky used to produce that product. A whisky with an age statement is known as guaranteed-age whisky.

The first written mention of Scotch whisky is in the Exchequer Rolls of Scotland, 1495. A friar named John Cor was the distiller at Lindores Abbey in the Kingdom of Fife.

Many Scotch whisky drinkers will refer to a unit for drinking as a dram. Source -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

SU News

B9316595572Z.1_20150314213647_000_GFSA7B1EF.1-0.jpg

Recruiting Update: Priority DE Target Jamal Holloway Set to Announce His School Tuesday (PS; Bailey)

The Camden High School football program saw three of its players secure their futures in an eight-day period earlier this month.

Brad Hawkins and Ron Johnson committed to Michigan, while Dymelle Parker opted for Syracuse. Now another senior will know where he is going to play football next season when tight end/defensive end Jamal Holloway makes his verbal commitment on Tuesday.

Holloway will announce his choice between finalists Temple, Syracuse, Old Dominion and Pittsburgh on Tuesday at 1 p.m. in the Camden High School gymnasium, according to coach Dwayne Savage.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Holloway had 37 tackles for loss, six sacks and six hurries last year.

While the Panthers will have four FBS players ready to chase a South Jersey title this fall, they lost a future major-college player Saturday when offensive lineman Cesar Ruiz announced he would transfer to IMG Academy (Fla.) for his final two years on Saturday. Savage told NJ.com he encouraged Ruiz to consider the opportunity a few weeks ago.

220px-Marquis_Spruill_2014.jpg

Atlanta Falcons 2015 Countdown: A Look at the Linebackers (atlantafalcons.com; Ledbetter)

While the Falcons went bargain basement shopping in free agency, they did pull out the credit card for a couple of veteran linebackers.

The Falcons are hoping linebackers Brooks Reed and Justin Durant can help put some teeth back in the defense.

Here’s a look at the linebackers:

Derek Akunne, North Texas State, 6-0, 242: He served as a team captain and led the Mean Green and Conference USA with 108 tackles (65 solo) while adding 8.5 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles. He was an honorable mention all-conference selection after posting 90 tackles in 2013. Akunne is a native of Garland, Texas and attended North Garland High School.

Boris Anyama, Louisiana-Lafayette, 6-3, 232: He made 100 total tackles (68 solo), 10.5 tackles for loss, two sacks and three forced fumbles for the Ragin’ Cajuns over his career. During his senior season in 2014, Anyama played in 13 games and tallied 43 total tackles (31 solo), 8.5 tackles for loss, two sacks and two forced fumbles.

Joplo Bartu, Texas State, 6-2, 230: He started 14 of 16 games last season, but was unable to distinguish himself on the league’s worst defense. He made 82 tackles, had one sack and two fumble recoveries. He played 496 snaps last season. He was decent against the run, but sometimes got lost in coverage.

Allen Bradford, USC, 5-11, 235: He’s a converted running back who was selected by Tampa Bay in the sixth-round of the 2011 draft. In the Pros, Bradford was moved to linebacker. He was signed to Seattle’s practice squad in Oct. of 2011, where he was switched to linebacker. Bradford has also spent time with the New York Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars and Cleveland Browns. He has played in 13 NFL games. In college, he played in 52 games for the Trojans and rushed for 1,585 yards on 267 carries (5.9 yards per carry) and scored touchdowns. Bradford ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds at the combine back in 2011.

Justin Durant, Hampton, 6-1, 203: He was a second-round draft pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2007. He signed a three-year, $10.8 million contract with the Falcons after playing for Dallas last season. He’s battled injuries over his career and is projected to replace Sean Weatherspoon, who signed with Arizona in free agency, at weakside linebacker. Durant has started 80 of 95 games over eight seasons, in which he also played for the Lions and the Cowboys.

Stansly Maponga, TCU, 6-2, 264: He played in 12 games, mostly on special teams, and had three tackles.

Brooks Reed, Arizona, 6-3, 254: He played inside and outside linebacker with the Houston Texans for four seasons, signed a five-year, $22 million contract, with $9 million guaranteed. Reed, battled back from an offseason groin injury, worked at strongside linebacker in the offseason. Reed was drafted in the second round (42nd overall) in 2011 by the Texans, who selected J.J. Watt with the 11th pick of the first round. He started 52 of 60 games alongside Watt, who blossomed into one of the NFL’s stars.

Marquis Spruill, Syracuse, 6-0, 224: He battling back from a season-ending knee surgery. His progress was slow over the offseason, but the Falcons don’t appear ready to give up on the speedy prospect.

ACC News

swofford1

Remembering The Reasons for the ACC's Most Recent Expansion (newsobserver.com; Jacobs)

The past doesn’t change, but the view backward is perpetually open to interpretation. Witness the ongoing debate about the symbols and causes of a war that took place 150 years ago.

So it’s no surprise observers recall different reasons, if they recall any at all, for the pivotal ACC expansion announced nearly four years ago. This might seem like old news, but it continues to color perception of current events.

“People have a tendency to look at things as they are at that moment,” said John Swofford, the ACC commissioner, making an observation that transcends sports. “When you’re talking about expansion you’ve got to think more broadly.”

The addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, followed in short order by Louisville and Notre Dame, transformed the ACC into the current 15-member arrangement that promised to be a basketball colossus. But that doesn’t mean the conference expanded to advance its basketball interests. The hard-eyed truth is that membership was increased to gain markets and as a matter of self-defense at a time of great upheaval in college sports.

Within the ACC’s highest councils, there was concern the conference might unravel.

“It had nothing to do with basketball,” Gene DeFilippo, the athletics director of Boston College at the time and a member of the ACC’s expansion committee, said in a 2011 Boston Globe interview. “It was football money which drove expansion. It was football money and securing our future.”

Yet, confusing effect with cause, observers continue to insist the ACC aimed to bolster basketball, which undeniably benefited. At least all agree adding Pitt and Syracuse, from states that actually touch the Atlantic Ocean, wasn’t a move to strengthen football’s immediate prospects.

“I think it was a number of things,” Swofford said. “There’s seldom any singular reason.” Perhaps that’s why, at last week’s football media confab in Pinehurst, players representing Syracuse and Pitt were at a loss to explain why their schools did join the ACC.

atlanticcoaches_1437857213311_22021092_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

No Contest? Group of 5 Outside Clemson, FSU Face Stiff Challenge (indepentdentmail.com; Rink)

Going back three seasons, Clemson and Florida State have exactly one loss between them against the rest of the pack in the ACC’s Atlantic.

Those two received 157 of 158 first-place votes in the division – and with good reason, taking the top-spot from 2009 on – and almost drawing 80 percent of the champion votes.

The ‘veteran’ coaches from that group of five on the outside-looking in are NC State’s Dave Doeren, Syracuse’s Scott Shafer and Boston College’s Steve Addazio, entering a third year at their programs.

NC State is regarded by more than a few around the ACC as a “darkhorse” candidate behind senior dual-threat QB Jacoby Brissett. The Wolfpack recovered late last season to win four of their final games to punch a postseason ticket and down UCF in its backyard bowl (St. Petersburg).

“We just have to make sure we back it up with the work and preparation that it's going to take,” Doeren said of his team’s confidence. “Those are great football teams that are well-coached. I do feel good about the mindset. The fact that we've walked over some hot coals. We've rebounded and found a way to stick together and be resilient. There's a good bond in our locker room right now.”

Coming off back-to-back postseason runs, Addazio faces a rebuild on offense in Chestnut Hill, which is nothing new.

Cool article about Lester's offense:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2015/07/syracuse_football_hybrids.html#incart_river

I'm really interested to see what he's able to produce. I think the play of the offense this year is going to be the determinant of whether Shafer and the staff are retained. Hope Lester has the chops, because I liked what I'm reading in the article above. Seems like it would be an exciting style of play.

I thought the article was really good also. It explained the concepts down to the level that an X and O novice like me could understand.

I thought the article was really good also. It explained the concepts down to the level that an X and O novice like me could understand.
Yes, there was some good analysis here that has been lacking in the PS SU football coverage for some time. Dave Rahme is missed greatly.

Is it too late for the PS to hire him back? To me, the articles that report what happened during the game, even the quotes from the players and coaches afterwards, are of little value. We have all seen the game, we have all heard the interviews before a single article from the PS is posted on their web site.

Dear PS, if you want to know what the readers want, here is one man's opinion:

Give me in depth recruiting coverage, which S Bailey is doing very well, and give me detailed analysis. Why did the offense perform at the level they did, why did the defense perform at the level they did, what were the coaches thinking beforehand and what adjustments can we expect to address issues in the future. That sort of thing. This is where the PS can really bring value to the SU football fan base.

We want, we need, we must have...Dave Rahme. He might not come back anyway and for that, I can't blame him one bit.

Cool article about Lester's offense:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2015/07/syracuse_football_hybrids.html#incart_river

I'm really interested to see what he's able to produce. I think the play of the offense this year is going to be the determinant of whether Shafer and the staff are retained. Hope Lester has the chops, because I liked what I'm reading in the article above. Seems like it would be an exciting style of play.

Credit where it's due with Bailey. I'm quick to jump on him for what I don't like, but, this is not that case. Quality article that goes into detail about the position. There are still words or phrases that pop up here and there that key me to believe his football knowledge isn't spectacular, but, he makes up for it with really good research.

His interview with Lester was as advertised, wide ranging and extensive. These have been the first series of articles in awhile that I look forward to reading from them.

sutomcat Just an fyi..;)

Little known July Holidays:
July 28th: National Milk Chocolate Day
July 29th: National Lasagna Day
July 30th: National Cheesecake Day