Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
t1larg_bombe.jpg

Welcome to National Raspberry Bombe Day!

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

Today's food holiday is the bomb(e)-dot-com: August 11 is National Raspberry Bombe Day, so put on your sassiest waist apron and dig out the retro dishes!

For those of you still scratching your culinary noggin, a bombe or bombe glacée is one of those great throwback ice cream desserts, frozen in a spherical mold. You can also make a gelatin-inspired variation, hence the jiggly-wiggly image.

According to this newspaper clipping, a typical bombe combines sherbet, ice cream, heavy cream, chopped nuts, candied fruit and even a spot of rum. When you layer up this little beauty in a mold and freeze it overnight, you've got a centerpiece-worthy dessert that was made for summer.

Bombes away!

SU News

SU HC Scott Shafer Upbeat After Down Year (pressreader.com; Frank)

The Syracuse football team battled injuries last year and finished with a 3-9 record but head coach Scott Shafer is confident the Orange will have a better season this fall now that players are healthy.

Syracuse has a new athletic director and his program is coming off a dismal season, but Orange coach Scott Shafer insists he isn’t feeling an undue amount of pressure.

“None at all,” Shafer said Saturday at media day of his relationship with former Boise State athletic director Mark Coyle, who’s been in Syracuse since June. “We’ve talked a lot. We’ve spent a lot of time here, and we’re both excited for the season and, as he put it, ‘It’s not a dash, it’s a marathon.’

“He’s got a great plan in place moving forward with the whole department, and we’re excited to get started,” Shafer said. “Right now, we’re just going to get focused in on our job, and that’s to take care of things daily that are in front of us starting today.”

Entering his third season as head coach with a 10-15 mark and one bowl appearance, Shafer’s programis coming off a nightmarish 3-9 campaign that produced just one win in Atlantic Coast Conference play. Myriad injuries claimed several players, among them starting quarterback Terrel Hunt and wide receiver Brisly Estime, for most of the year. That forced Shafer to utilize four quarterbacks and piece together makeshift offensive lines game to game.

“The patterns and data we had just tell us it was one hell of a freakish year of injuries,” Shafer said.

Hunt and Estime are back healthy, but Shafer faces a daunting task in 2015. There’s the schedule that starts with four straight games in the Carrier Dome, but it’s a schedule that also features matchups against formidable ACC foes Clemson, Florida State and Louisville and an out- of- conference contest at home against perennial power LSU.

GettyImages-182991083.0.jpg

What is the Best Syracuse Football Roadtrip for 2015? (TNIAAM; Cassillo; TexanMark)

So what makes up a great road trip for a Syracuse Orangefootball fan? SU tailgating guru TexanMark (who you may already know from Syracusefan.com) gives us his impressions and ranking of the five road trips this year. Mark thinks this is one of the best years he's ever seen for 'Cuse road trips. With so many quality options, we need to rank them... as one usually does on the internet. Hey, at least there aren't 42 44 slow loading, ad-infested slides to click through.

(the remainder of this post is authored by Mark)

Factors TexanMark Considered:

• Non-Football Related Activities (touristy stuff)
  • Weather (will I freeze my butt off?)
  • Ease and Cost of Travel and Lodging (Varied Choices and Reasonable Costs)
  • Parking Ease + Tailgate Atmosphere (Game Day Cash Lots which have Tailgating)
  • Desirability of Rival (Excitement of a win over them)
  • Winnability of Rival (Chance of a win this season)
  • Stadium Amenities and Atmosphere (On campus is a plus)
Having a great chance to win is a huge factor. These trips are expensive and sometimes are time consuming. So I want a memorable trip and hate flying home after a loss. Additionally, I don't want to spend $200 a night for a cheesy, $60 basic motel room and I want numerous flights that are reasonable. I don't want to freeze my butt off (Sorry BC at Thanksgiving). The final thing is: Are there other things to do besides football. I rated items that I think are important to most 'Cuse fans. Travel ease and cost is the big "X Factor" here as everyone has a different origination and price-point. I looked at it primarily from an air travel perspective." Finally, I didn't rate cost of tickets. If you have not bought a ticket yet I would recommend going through SU at this point. You will pay the rack rate but at least you will sit with other fans and players' parents and family. For me the USF trip is my no. 1 trip this fall. But how?

Other

-49722d39a1b479a7.jpg

Will Lakeview Amphitheater Built on Wastebeds Be Safe for Concert-Goers? (PS; Coin)

Will concert-goers be safe sitting on the lawn at the Lakeview Amphitheater built on 80 feet of industrial wastebeds?

Yes, say Onondaga County officials. The entire lawn area is covered with a layer of impermeable fabric and up to 10 feet of soil, which county officials say will keep toxic chemicals from escaping into the air.

"The cover material is intended to provide a barrier between the general public and the underlying overburden materials in accordance with (state regulations) and as required for the protection of public health," Bob Duclos, vice president of C&S Companies, the county's consultant on the $50 million amphitheater project, wrote in an email.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency said last year that even without covering the Solvay wastebed material, which is as deep as 80 feet on the amphitheater site, "potential risks and hazards ... are expected to be within acceptable risk ranges and targets."

To further reduce those risks, the EPA and state Department of Environmental Conservation in December issued a decision that required Honeywell to cover the wastebed site, including the amphitheater area, with 1 to 2 feet of soil. The estimated cost of that cleanup was $20 million.

The county has covered 78 acres of the amphitheater site, including the stage, seating area and lawn, Duclos said. The county could not provide an estimate of how it had spent on the cover system that Honeywell had been obligated to lay down.

18511231-mmmain.jpg

Newest Sign of the Coming Apocalypse: Prior's Double Dark Beer Ceasing Production (PS; Cazentre)

If you're a fan of Saranac Black Forest -- one of the earliest "craft" beers made by Utica's F.X. Matt Brewing Co. -- brace yourself for bad news.

The brewery this summer is ceasing production -- at least for now -- on this classic dark lager, a style the Germans call schwarzbier.

Count many Central New Yorkers among the disappointed, including those who know and love it by another name that seems to exist today only in a small corner of Syracuse -- Prior's, or Prior's Double Dark.

Steve Checkosky of Liverpool is one. He was so troubled by Saranac's decision that he fired off an email to Matt/Saranac president Fred Matt. The subject line: "Say it ain't so!"

BLACK FOREST VS. PRIOR'S

The Matt brewery's history with Black Forest -- and the reason some in Syracuse call it Prior's -- is almost as murky as the beer itself.

The beer known as Prior's dates back to 1939, when a light and dark version were brewed by a brewery called Scheidt's in Norristown, Pa., according to an online discussion led by Philadelphia-based beer blogger Jack Curtin back in 2010. (Read the discussion -- and another on the Black Forest/Prior's topic at beeradvocate.com -- and you'll see how beer geeks earned their name).

The Prior's brands were later acquired by Schmidt's, a Philadelphia brewer. By the mid-1980s, F.X. Matt in Utica was brewing Prior's -- the dark version at least -- under contract for Schmidt's. It was then a draft-only beer. The same beer was being sold to the famous McSorley's Old Ale House in New York City as its dark ale.

At that time -- when Fred Matt and his uncle, Nick, returned to the family brewery after pursuing other careers, Matt Brewing was transitioning itself from a regional brewery of domestic lagers like Utica Club and Matt's Premium into a craft brewer. (That essentially meant brewing beers without the use of adjunct grains, like corn or rice, which lightened the body and flavor profile.)

According to Fred Matt, there was an aborted attempt by Matt's to brew a bottled version of Prior's. When that failed, Matt Brewing developed a new formula for a similar dark beer -- this one an all-malt (no adjunct grain) craft beer called Black Forest. By that time, in 1987, Schmidt's had closed.

Black Forest was draft only for years. It debuted in bottles as part of Saranac's 12 Beers of Christmas in late 1996. It then went into the regular lineup and joined some of the early Saranac craft beers -- Adirondack Lager, Pale Ale, Pilsner, and the bottled Black and Tan.

Prior's, meanwhile, had had a small but dedicated following in Upstate New York. In Central New York, it had been a regular feature on tap at such places as the Scotch 'N Sirloin in DeWitt, Shifty's on Burnet Avenue and the now-closed Weber's German restaurant on Syracuse's North Side.

"Prior's was always on tap at the Scotch," said that restaurant's current owner, Tom Tiffany. After the demise of Prior's as a brand, Black Forest took over that tap spot and has held it ever since. The Scotch is now working with Pete Kirkgasser, owner and brewer at Syracuse's Eastwood Brewing Co., to make a dark beer to replace it.