Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

This undated image taken by the Hubble telescope shows Pluto and its moons: Charon, Nix, and Hydra.

Welcome to Pluto Demoted Day!

August 24, 2006 was a sad day for Pluto. Formerly known as a planet, Pluto was downgraded to a dwarf planet that day. August 24 is now recognized as Pluto Demoted Day. Use the day as an opportunity to learn about Pluto, its new status and its connection to central Illinois.

Although Pluto is no longer a planet, there are still many interesting facts to learn about it. Pluto was discovered in 1930. Until 2006, it was classified as the ninth planet in our solar system. Pluto cannot be seen without the use of a telescope, and not much is known about what it is like. In 2005, NASA sentNew Horizons, an unmanned spacecraft, to Pluto, but it will not approach Pluto until 2015. The dwarf planet has a tilted orbit, and at times in its orbit, it is closer to the sun than Neptune and Uranus. It takes Pluto 249 years to make one trip around the sun.

These days, Pluto is regarded as a dwarf planet. To qualify as a dwarf planet, an object must be fairly round and orbit the sun. Unlike a planet, a dwarf planet has not cleared the area around its orbital path. Also, it is not a satellite, also known as a moon. The decision that cost Pluto its planetary status also outlined three categories of solar system objects: planets, dwarf planets and small solar system bodies.

SU News

18602546-mmmain.jpg

Steven Clark Visits Cousin at Fort Drum Just Before He Deploys to Iraq (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse wrapped up its third annual trip to Fort Drum on Friday. The week marks an opportunity for Orange players and staff members to spend time with soldiers, gain perspective from the sacrifices the armed forces make and instill team-building values through military activities.

But for one SU player, this year's trip represented far more than that. For freshman defensive tackle Steven Clark, this week was a reunion, and for now, a goodbye.

Clark's cousin, Bradley Lykins, is stationed at Fort Drum and ships out for Iraq within the next four-to-six weeks.

"We go back really far," Clark said. "Back when I was a little kid, we used to play football in (our grandparents') front yard. I'd always run around tackling him, so it was really fun. We have a really deep connection."

The 6-foot-2, 303-pound Clark grew up in Arab, Ala., but for six weeks every summer from the time he was 6 until he started high school, he would visit Lykins' family and his grandparents in Manchester, Tenn., about two hours north. The two boys would ride go-karts in the field behind their neighbor Butch's yard, catch crayfish in the creek through the woods and play Donkey Kong on Nintendo 64.

18592777-mmmain.jpg

Austin Wilson Benefiting From More Reps (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football coach Scott Shafer this week legitimized freshman Eric Dungey as the possible No. 2 quarterback behind Hunt this season, joining redshirt sophomore Austin Wilson and sophomore AJ Long, who is sidelined with a right hand injury.

Dungey performed well in Thursday's scrimmage at Fort Drum, working with the starters at one point and leading a touchdown drive.

But Wilson has the benefit of game experience. And he's also seeing more reps because of Long's injury, something that is helping him in his biggest area for development — reading coverage.

"With me, I'm more of a rep guy," Wilson said, "and the more reps I get, the more I learn from it."

Wilson was forced into action for the first time last season after Hunt was ejected in the season opener against Villanova. He started his first game after Hunt broke his leg Oct. 3 against Louisville but suffered a concussion in that game against Florida State and saw significant snaps just once more the rest of the way. He finished the year with no touchdowns and four interceptions.

"I think I could've shown a lot more," Wilson said. "I think I might've had those freshman mistakes as an excuse, but I think the biggest thing from it was I was able to learn from it and learn how to slow down. The game is 10 times faster when you get to Saturday."

WGPzjA.jpg

SU Facing Several Ranked Teams in 2015 (cnycentral.com; Malnoske)

The countdown is on. We're just 12 days away from Syracuse Orange football kicking off the 2015 season. Rhode Island comes to the Carrier Dome on Friday September 4th at 7 p.m.

As for the rest of their schedule, the Orange will have some big time battles against ranked teams with the first AP Top 25 poll being released on Sunday. The top three teams ranked on the Orange's schedule will be at #10 Florida State on Saturday, October 31st, home versus 12th ranked Clemson on November 14th, and home against #14 LSU on September 26th.

Two other teams, Louisville and N.C. State, also received honorable mention votes and play the Orange in 2015. Defending national champions, Ohio State, earned the #1 ranking in the AP Top 25 receiving all of the votes, the first time in history a team accomplished that feat. A complete 2015 Syracuse football schedule is listed below:

Friday, September 4th, Rhode Island - 7 PM
Saturday, September 12th, Wake Forest - 12:30 PM*
Saturday, September 19th, Central Michigan - 12:30 PM
Saturday, September 26th, LSU - TBD
Saturday, October 3rd, - BYE WEEK
Saturday, October 10th, at South Florida - TBD
Saturday, October 17th, at Virginia - TBD*
Saturday, October 24th, Pittsburgh - TBD*
Saturday, October 31st, at Florida State - TBD*
Saturday, November 7th, at Louisville - TBD*
Saturday, November 14th, Clemson - TBD*
Saturday, November 21st, at N.C. State - TBD*
Saturday, November 28th, Boston College - TBD*

*Denotes ACC Conference Game

Other

-9a8a9329d4cd3005.jpg

American Dresser, Major Motion Picture to be Filmed in Syracuse, Opens Casting (PS; Nett)

The Film House is making "American Dresser," a movie starring Tom Berenger.

They held an open casting for extras on Sunday. The producers were looking for characters to for extras in the background.