Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Teddy-Bear-Day-Background-1024x609.jpg

Welcome to National Teddy Bear Day!

National Teddy Bear Day takes place in the US on September 9th. Initially a US specific holiday this is increasingly being celebrated by bear lovers across the world. There appears to be no record of the origin of this holiday or why this particular date was chosen - perhaps the bears themselves know?

Teddy bears are, of course, named after US President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt. The name came about after a 1902 hunting expedition. The hunt had found no game, so at the end of the day someone brought out a baby bear and suggested that Roosevelt might like to shoot it instead. Roosevelt understandably felt that this was not exactly sporting and refused. The incident was illustrated in a newspaper cartoon entitled "Drawing the Line" - which also referred to the political situation at the time. An enterprising New York toymaker saw an opportunity and brought out a cute stuffed bear named "Teddy's Bear". The rest, as the say, is history.

Today people buy teddy bears across the world, not just for young children but often for themselves as collectibles. Some early bears by well known names such as Steiff or Gund are rare and much sought after by enthusiasts.

So if anyone deserves an annual holiday it's certainly the Teddy Bear. How they celebrate their special day depends on their owner. Some people like to take their bear out on a trip, others like to organise a toy party and perhaps even buy their bear gifts. If all inspriation fails, there's always the traditional picnic - I've never known a bear turn one down!

SU News

usa-today-8787126.0.jpg

A History of True Frosh QBs at Syracuse (TNIAAM; Pregler)

When Terrell Hunt went down with a season ending injury, true freshman Eric Dungey became the tenth Syracuse Orange quarterback with that standing to take a snap for the Orange. As it becomes increasingly clear that the job is Dungey's to lose, we decided to take a look back at the other nine QB's for comparison and perspective.

So let's look at the numbers:

Year Name Comp. Att. Pct. Pass Yards Pass TD INT Rush Yards Rush TD Team W-L
2015 Eric Dungey 10 17 58.80% 114 2 0 20 0 ???
2014 A.J. Long 89 165 53.90% 935 4 8 -4 2 3-9
2006 Andrew Robinson 3 8 37.50% 20 1 1 28 0 4-8
2004 Joe Fields 13 29 44.80% 192 1 3 -8 0 6-6
1983 Don McPherson 0 1 0.00% 0 0 0 0 0 6-5
1982 Todd Norley 70 134 52.20% 833 1 12 13 0 2-9
1982 Greg Christodulu 23 46 50.00% 274 1 7 42 1 2-9
1978 Dave Warner 0 4 0.00% 0 0 0 30 0 3-8
1976 Ron Farneski 7 39 17.90% 133 1 10 -29 1 3-8
1975 Bill Hurley 0 1 0.00% 0 0 0 242 0 6-5

So a couple of things:

A lot of these kids never played more than a handful of snaps, making their numbers basically a wash. As you can expect, throw a kid into the fire on short notice and things won't always go perfectly.

We really only have two quarterbacks to reference, should Dungey continue to be "the guy" for Coach Shafer: Todd Norley and A.J. Long.

There are two very distinct ways you can look at the above stats, which no, aren't nearly close to anything worth drawing conclusions from. But hey, at lest you'll sound smart with your friends!

55efb183a493b.image.jpg

Robinson In Front in Wake Forest RB Competition (journalnow.com; Collins)

In the long-running competition to start at running back for Wake Forest, Isaiah Robinson remains first among equals.

Robinson, a sophomore from Charlotte who started the opener against Elon, is still listed as first-team going into Saturday’s ACC opener at Syracuse. Coach Dave Clawson said freshmen Tyler Bell and Matt Colburn will both also play against the Orange.

Clawson also said it’s a pecking order that could change at any time. Robinson gained 44 yards on 10 carries against Elon, Colburn gained 38 on 12 carries and Bell gained 28 on five carries.

Bell is listed as second-team and Colburn third-team.

“I told you it would be a mix, and it was,’’ Clawson said. “(Robinson) just right now is most comfortable with the offense. He’s improved. In terms of all you ask a running back to do, he’s probably most comfortable.

“But we’re going to keep bringing those other guys around. (Robinson) will start, but when the game’s over, if one of those other guys gets the hot hand, he may play more. If Isaiah plays well, he’ll play more.’’

Whereas most fans and member of the media are prone to judge a running back’s performance by his rushing statistics, coaches recognize there’s more to playing the position. One area of emphasis is the ability to block, which is particularly important in a program that last season finished tied for last with SMU among Football Bowl Subdivision teams with 48 sacks allowed.

55ee0474d4041.image.jpg

Wake to Face Syracuse Frosh QB (journalnow.com; Collins)

The Syracuse team coach Scott Shafer spent August preparing for the 2015 football season is not the one Wake Forest will face Saturday in the ACC opener for both teams.

As has been said many times, a battle plan is only good until the first shot is fired. The Orange was midway through the first quarter of Friday’s 47-0 rout of Rhode Island when senior quarterback Terrel Hunt limped off the field with what would be diagnosed as a torn Achilles tendon.

And like that, Shafer was down to his second-string quarterback who, in this instance, is a freshman named Eric Dungey.

After the dismantling of Rhode Island was complete, offensive coordinator Tim Lester was asked by the assembled media if the Orange offense would run as smoothly with Dungey at the helm as it had throughout preseason with Hunt taking the snaps. Hunt, who missed half the 2014 season with a broken fibula, is not expected to return this season.

“There’s no way to know,’’ Lester acknowledged. “We’ve never run this offense before. We were moving the ball really well (in camp). I don’t know where it can go with Eric. It depends on how well he does and how well we can run the ball.’’

The Orange accomplished both objectives against the Rams, with Dungey completing 10 of 17 passes for 114 yards and two touchdowns and the offensive line paving lanes for 312 yards rushing. Jordan Fredericks did the most damage with 103 yards on 14 carries, while Jacob Hill contributed 75 yards on 17 carries and George Morris added 71 yards on 12 carries.

Demon Deacons Find Flaws Despite Convincing Victory (thetimesnow.com; Sutton)

There was some nitpicking to find concerns for Wake Forest in the aftermath of a season-opening football rout of Elon.

But coach Dave Clawson came up with several areas to address with the Demon Deacons – and there’s urgency involved.

Wake Forest opens Atlantic Coast Conference play Saturday afternoon at Syracuse. It will be the first ACC game played this year.

“Overall, I’m happy with the level of execution,” Clawson said Tuesday. “The positive is we played a lot of players. I think that’s an investment for us moving forward.”

Wake Forest used 64 players in the game. Freshmen or sophomores accounted for all the Wake Forest points in the 41-3 decision.

Further, the coaching staff made a more decisive call on the starting backfield. Wake Forest is going with sophomore Isaiah Robinson at tailback, though freshmen Tyler Bell and Matt Colburn also figure to factor into the plan.“You’ve got three guys who can play,” Clawson said, pointing out that freshman Rocky Reid remains out with an injury.

The shortcomings in the opener came in a few areas. Center Josh Harris had troubles with some snaps, something that Clawson said is being monitored. Still, Wake Forest tied a program record with 38 minutes, 52 seconds, of possession and its 591 yards of total offense matched the third-most in school history.

18711110-mmmain.jpg

Former Lakeridge Star Eric Dungey Thrust Into Starting QB Role at Syracuse (oregonlive.com; AP)

Former Lakeridge High School star Eric Dungey will start at quarterback for the Syracuse Orange after Terrel Hunt suffered an Achilles injury in the season opener Friday against Rhode Island.

Dungey, a true freshman, completed 10 of 14 passes for 114 yards, two touchdowns, and no interceptions against Rhode Island after Hunt was sidelined by the injury in the first quarter.

Shafer said Dungey is taking four of every six snaps in practice instead of the usual two as the backup. The 6-foot-3, 202-pound Dungey, who came from Oregon to upstate New York, was a second-team all-state and All-USA Oregon selection at Lakeridge. He's been a quick study at Syracuse, impressing in preseason camp and quickly moving up the depth chart.

"We feel confident that he can do all the things that we're asking him to do," Shafer said. "We don't feel like we have to truly scale things down a whole lot because his learning curve has been extremely small.

"He did a nice job over the last 10 days prior to Rhode Island of being locked into practice," Shafer said. "It's one thing to see it and understand it. lt's another thing to do it and then execute it."

Last edited:
First time in a few days I've actually had time to sit down and put some thoughts down about this weekend's game:

The narrative is alive and well! I swear someone handed these folks official talking points about WF for this year.

Can Dungey do as well against a "far better defense"? How about, "Can Wake do anywhere near as well against the #1 FREAKING DEFENSE in college football???"

But seriously, someone at ESPN has wood for WF.

The narrative is alive and well! I swear someone handed these folks official talking points about WF for this year.

Can Dungey do as well against a "far better defense"? How about, "Can Wake do anywhere near as well against the #1 FREAKING DEFENSE in college football???"

But seriously, someone at ESPN has wood for WF.
It's hilarious. Everyone is blowing Wake's defense. And yes - it's a good defense. But even our own media was saying "Wake's defense looks great, they held Elon to 46 yards on the first four series'." Uh, we held URI - a team on par with Elon in how terrible they are - to 64 yards in the ENTIRE FREAKING GAME. Yet no one is talking about how "stout" our defense is. It's irritating.

(I'm not picking on anyone here...the WF comment I'm referring to came from one of the few local journalists I really like, Bailey, but it just stands out to me in retrospect)

jekelish said:
It's hilarious. Everyone is blowing Wake's defense. And yes - it's a good defense. But even our own media was saying "Wake's defense looks great, they held Elon to 46 yards on the first four series'." Uh, we held URI - a team on par with Elon in how terrible they are - to 64 yards in the ENTIRE FREAKING GAME. Yet no one is talking about how "stout" our defense is. It's irritating. (I'm not picking on anyone here...the WF comment I'm referring to came from one of the few local journalists I really like, Bailey, but it just stands out to me in retrospect)

The only team worse than URI last season in their conference? ELON.

no one seems to notice lost in the wake win. the qb had a great game, he had a big 63 yd td. the rest of the game they ran 41 times for 140 yds. the fact they had to throw to even move the ball against elon should mean something. lets hope it does.

upperdeck said:
no one seems to notice lost in the wake win. the qb had a great game, he had a big 63 yd td. the rest of the game they ran 41 times for 140 yds. the fact they had to throw to even move the ball against elon should mean something. lets hope it does.

Yeah - and ESPN was lauding their run game. I mean they were historically bad last year, but 41 times?!?

And their Oline didn't do great with ELON pressure. And they couldn't get tons of pressure on Elon's QB either.

We can lose to anyone - but the groundswell for them is amazing to behold. Must be the proximity to the ACC conference offices.

It's hilarious. Everyone is blowing Wake's defense. And yes - it's a good defense. But even our own media was saying "Wake's defense looks great, they held Elon to 46 yards on the first four series'." Uh, we held URI - a team on par with Elon in how terrible they are - to 64 yards in the ENTIRE FREAKING GAME. Yet no one is talking about how "stout" our defense is. It's irritating.

(I'm not picking on anyone here...the WF comment I'm referring to came from one of the few local journalists I really like, Bailey, but it just stands out to me in retrospect)
And 2 of our best defensive players, basically didn't play in the game.