Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Chocolate-Cupcake-Day-October-181.jpg

Welcome to National Chocolate Cupcake Day!

National Chocolate Cupcake Day is celebrated annually on October 18. This is the day for Chocolate and dessert lovers!
Cupcakes have also been known to be called:

• Fairy Cakes
  • Patty Cakes
  • Cup Cakes (different from Cupcakes (one-word)
Cupcakes can be traced back to 1796 when there was a recipe notation of “a cake to be baked in small cups” written in American Cookery (by Amelia Simmons). The earliest known documentation of the term “cupcake” was in 1828 in “Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats” in Eliza Leslie’s Receipts cookbook.

Cupcakes were originally baked in heavy pottery cups. Today, some bakers still use individual ramekins, small coffee mugs, large tea cups, or other small ovenproof pottery-type dishes for baking their cupcakes.

SU News

virginia2-300x300.jpg

Syracuse 38 Virginia 44 (3 OT); What We Learned (thejuice; Cheng)

Syracuse dropped to 3-3 with a 44-38 3OT loss to Virginia on Saturday. Here are a few thoughts from the game:

BOWL HOPES DIM

Syracuse’s bowl hopes went from faint to bleak after the loss to Virginia. SU’s upcoming game will begin its toughest stretch of the season, with No. 25 Pitt (first in the Coastal Division) coming into town next week. A two-game road trip follows after that, which starts at 6-0 and No. 9 Florida State and finishes with a trip to Louisville. Syracuse will then host No. 6 Clemson before finishing at NC State and hosting BC. The Orange may not be favored in another game all season, and will need to come up with three wins of that bunch to make a bowl game. “I feel like we are not a 3-3 team,” linebacker Zaire Franklin said. “But that is our reality.”

DEFENSE CAN’T STOP VIRGINIA LATE

Syracuse had Virignia on the ropes with just under seven minutes left in the fourth quarter, and the Cavaliers pinned on their own four yard line. But Virginia embarked on a grueling 19-play drive at the end of regulation, and kicked a game-tying field goal as time expired to send the game into overtime. Syracuse’s best shot to end the game came with and the Cavaliers facing a third and 15 situation on the six play of the drive. Matt Johns completed a 6-yard pass underneath to Albert Reid, which was well short of the first down. But a backbreaking facemask penalty on Ron Thompson kept the Cavalier drive alive. The Cavs added had a fourth down conversion. “The best way I could describe it is us not capitalizing on opportunities,” Franklin said. “Throughout the drive, we put them in second down and long, third down and long opportunities. We just didn’t capitalize.”...

usa-today-8868293.0.jpg

Syracuse Opens as 6.5 Point Underdog to #25 Ranked Pittsburgh (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Two weeks ago, Vegas favored the lowly USF Bulls over the Syracuse Orange and we all laughed. Last week Vegas favored the one-win Virginia Cavaliers over the Orange and we scoffed. This week, we'll just agree to whatever Vegas says because they clearly now better than us.

The No. 25
Pittsburgh Panthers will be favored when they visit the Carrier Dome this Saturday to take on the Orange and Vegas has installed them as a 6.5-point favorite to start.

The Panthers are off to a great start at 5-1 and entered the AP Poll this week following a win over Georgia Tech. Their lone blemish is a close loss to No. 12 Iowa.

The Orange, meanwhile, have squandered their 3-0 start and now sit at 3-3 with the toughest stretch of the season about to begin. Wins will be tough to come by from here on out and this one looks much less likely than it did before the year started.

Syracuse vs. Pitt takes place at noon on Saturday and the game will be televised on ESPNU.

P: Riley Dixon (Syracuse): Wake’s Alex Kinal actually leads the ACC in net yardage, but only slightly. Meanwhile, 36 percent of Dixon’s punts are downed inside the opponent’s 10, and he’s been a wiz running the fake.

12. SYRACUSE (1-1 ACC | 3-3 OVERALL)

JEFF'S TAKE: A disappointing loss for sure. I won't try to talk you out of that, Cuse fans. But, Eric Dungey is the completely unexpected pleasant surprise of the ACC, right? And someone up there in Syracuse send me a pic of your Riley Dixon for Heisman Halloween costume.

12. SYRACUSE (1-1 ACC | 3-3 OVERALL)

JEFF'S TAKE: A disappointing loss for sure. I won't try to talk you out of that, Cuse fans. But, Eric Dungey is the completely unexpected pleasant surprise of the ACC, right? And someone up there in Syracuse send me a pic of your Riley Dixon for Heisman Halloween costume.
I'm really not a fan of this guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom