Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Beauj.jpg

Welcome to Beaujolais Nouveau Day!

Beaujolais Nouveau Day is marked in France on the third Thursday in November with fireworks, music and festivals. Under French law, the wine is released at 12:01 a.m., just weeks after the wine's grapes have been harvested. Parties are held throughout the country and further afield to celebrate the first wine of the season.

Vive la France! Hang in there!

SU News

-4717477d4db37852.jpg

SU Football vs NC State: See Our Predictions (PS Staff)

The Syracuse football team will take on North Carolina State at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Carter–Finley Stadium at Raleigh, N.C.

It's time for our predictions. Hop below in the comments and offer your picks.

Brent Axe
The Wolfpack take the "George McDonald Bowl" in yet another close but no cigar game for Syracuse. N.C. State 34, SU 28

Stephen Bailey
I expect another strong effort from the Orange, but haven't seen enough to believe this team can execute consistently on the road. Also, with a full week to prepare for Zack Mahoney and the option, N.C. State should be able to close down some of the running lanes Clemson wasn't able to. N.C. State 35, SU 24

Nate Mink
I predicted five wins at the start of the season, so this is it if I hope to have some bragging rights. Josh Parris' health may be key in Syracuse having success on offense, and I don't see that big vertical threat from N.C. State that has hurt SU in the past. Won't be easy in a tough road environment, though. SU 30, N.C. State 28

usa-today-8925055.0.jpg

Defensive Film Review: How Syracuse Embarrassed Clemson (shakinthesouthland.com; Craft)

Glance at the box score and you wonder how Clemson only won by 10. Clemson nearly doubled Syracuse in yardage, first downs, and even held a comfortable lead in time of possession thanks to a long drive which ended the game. How was this game so close? Recurring themes: turnovers, defensive busts, and the lack of a killer instinct throughout the contest.

At first glance, this game was sloppy and uninspired. Was the defense as bad as it looked? Yes, and no.

First, some takes on the game overall:

The offensive staff took a lot of flak for inserting Kelly Bryant on the third series which resulted in a fumble and immediate points for Syracuse. Hindsight is 20/20, but this was the plan all along and there was nothing wrong with it. This wasn't "alright let's get Deshaun out of there, we got this." Watson was not removed from the game; he lined up out wide and we were likely setting up an eventual throwback gadget out of Bryant's wildcat package for the South Carolina or postseason games. Bryant made his read and kept it, and we still don't know how the fumble didn't warrant a review. But ultimately this was not a bad call or "messing around" -- it was to set up a gadget play.

Before the season we thought Deshaun Watson would have to carry this team in a few shootouts, and twice now in the last three games it has been the case. The offense put up nearly 600 yards and moved the ball well, but regularly stalled after crossing midfield -- we only scored 6 points in the second half while we struggled to keep Syracuse at arms length.

The offense was spectacular early but frustrating despite its efficiency in the second half, but again we completely controlled the 4th quarter. Watson is justifiably near the top of every Heisman list, and without a few untimely drops/catches out of bounds, he puts this game away without the drama -- with two more TD passes to boot.

SU-ND Football Tickets Available Now (TNIAAM; Pregler)

Syracuse Orange Football will take on Notre Dame in MetLife Stadium on October 1, 2016. You can now buy tickets to this game now until probably an hour after kickoff.

Regardless of how you feel about Syracuse playing "home" games inNew York City East Rutherford, New Jersey, it is a convenient way for alums (like myself) in the Greater NYC Area to see the Orangeup close without arranging for a weekend trip back to Syracuse.

The 2016 iteration of this game The New York College Classic will be similar to last one: versus the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. The Orange lost that one 31-13 thanks to Everett Golson's big game. The game will take place on October 1 and likely feature more Cuse events happening around New York and New Jersey that we'll find out more about once the game gets closer.

If you want to grab a ticket and reserve your spot now, you can buy tickets through Syracuse Athletics here. Tickets for lower midfield are $185 a pop and upper decks are $85 a pop. Last year, upper deck seats bought through the University ran for $80, so there is a slight price hike.

In years past, Syracuse has found that tickets are almost always available on the secondary market at a discounted price and in an effort to combat this + expected poor numbers to finish the 2015 campaign, you'll get a free Cuse-Boston College ticket for every MetLife ticket you grab.

ACC News

fb_duke_unc_grant_shorin_20151107_12.jpg

Max McCaffery Forges Own Path at Duke to Become Team-Leading Receiver (DO; Sullivan)

Max McCaffrey didn’t grow up in the typical athletic family. His father, Ed, spent 13 seasons in the NFL and his mother played three years of Division I soccer at Stanford. His grandfather and two uncles spent their college days at Duke playing sports such as baseball, track and field, basketball and football.

When it came time to choose a school to play football, McCaffrey chose Duke over Stanford — his parents’ alma mater — and a host of other offers because he felt at home. He enjoyed the environment head coach David Cutcliffe was building.

McCaffrey’s official visit to Durham, North Carolina allowed him to see Cutcliffe’s vision for the team and he knew Duke was a place where he could help mold a program on the rise, he said.

For someone trying to build on his family’s legacy and forge his own, Duke provided the perfect opportunity.

“I’m proud of my family and all the success they’ve had individually,” McCaffrey said. “… But I’m my own person and player. I enjoy being a part of something bigger than myself and building things up.”

The senior leads the Blue Devils with 503 receiving yards on 42 receptions and three touchdowns, but wide receivers coach Jeffrey Faris said that McCaffrey’s off-field influence almost outweighs anything he does on the field.

Other

19219764-mmmain.png

A Foot of Snow Could Fall This Weekend in Upstate NY, But Where? (PS; Coin)

The ingredients are in place for a short but intense lake effect storm late this weekend in Upstate New York.

"I expect somebody is going to get a foot of snow," said Tom Kines, a senior meteorologist with AccuWeather.com. "It's just a matter of who."

Cold air over northern Canada will sweep across the Great Lakes Sunday and produce lake effect snow east of Lake Ontario into Monday, Kines said.

"From this far out, it's tough to say exactly where the most persistent bands are going to be setting up," he said. The most snow will likely fall in Tug Hill, he said, but some snow could reach Syracuse if the winds shift toward the south.

The National Weather Service isn't predicting any snowfall amounts yet, but did say that the cold air and winds "could support measurable lake effects snows" east of lakes Erie and Ontario, especially Ontario. Lake Ontario lies more east-to-west than Lake Erie does, so winds from the west cross over a longer stretch of open water and pick up more moisture on Ontario than they do on Erie.

"It's a pretty good setup for lake effect," said Jeff Wood, a weather service meteorologist. "There's a low pressure system tracking across southern Ontario and into Quebec, and behind that we're seeing some pretty cold air."

Syracuse.com contributing meteorologist Drew Montreuil believes that Tug Hill, the Adirondacks and southwestern New York could see "substantial accumulations of snow."

Parts of Oswego County already had a lake effect storm last month, with 9 inches dropping on Parish and Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom