Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
64eab25a504a97d5dca2fce0decfbf09.jpg

Welcome to Cat Herders Day!

A day for those of us who feel like we’re tasked with the impossible, Cat Herders Day recognises the frustration of trying to manage the unmanageable. Whether it’s work, home, school or other areas of life, if it feels like herding cats, today’s your day.

SU News

CWOtmPAVAAAUNQJ.jpg

Carl Jones Verbally Commits to Play Football at Syracuse (cleveland.com; Patsko)

St. Edward senior wide receiver/defensive back Carl Jones has verbally committed to play football at Syracuse.

He announced the decision on his public twitter account.

Jones scores a 47 yard TD in this play off game against Stow played on November 28th. Stow is the alma mater of Larry Csonka. He received his offer from Syracuse on Dec. 12, two days after receiving an offer from Air Force.

Jones was the third-leading receiver for St. Edward, which won its second straight Division I state title Dec. 5. He had 28 catches for 475 yards and four touchdowns. He also saw significant time at defensive back, especially in the playoffs. He had 24 tackles, nine passes defensed and an interception entering the state final.

Jones follows 2015 St. Edward grad Troy Henderson to the Orangemen and is the second Eagle in the Class of 2016 to commit to a Division I college. Running back Cole Gest committed to Indiana.

ScreenShot2015-12-14at9.16.30PM.jpg

Carl Jones on Commitment to Syracuse: 'Everything Just Happened So Fast' (DO; Schwedelson)

Carl Jones walked down the hall and into his coach’s office. He had only briefly heard that a Syracuse assistant would be visiting St. Edward (Ohio) High School on Wednesday and didn’t even know he was there for him.

“I was just walking to the coach’s office and there he was waiting for me,” Jones said of the Orange’s Tom Kaufman. “So that’s how that happened.”

Last Saturday, Jones helped St. Edward win a state title. After meeting Kaufman on Wednesday, he took an official visit to Syracuse from Friday to Sunday. And now, a day later, he became the 14th member of the Orange’s evolving 2016 recruiting class. Jones was the second player to verbal to SU on Monday, joining offensive tackle Liam O’Sullivan, and the fourth in the Dino Babers era.

Jones hadn’t been in contact with any of SU’s coaches while they were still at Bowling Green. All of the interaction occurred in the past week.

“Everything just happened so fast,” Jones said. “… My head was all over the place. Just being offered by a Power 5 school just really opened my eyes. It definitely caught my attention.”

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Jones only received offers from Army and Air Force, as well as interest from FCS schools. He only started playing cornerback, the position Syracuse coaches recruited him for, in his senior season. Jones was previously only a wide receiver but played both ways this year.

He said the reason he picked the Orange is because he could see himself being comfortable at the school for four years, regardless of football. What also helps Jones feel more comfortable, he said, is that former high school teammate Troy Henderson is a freshman linebacker at SU. He hosted Jones this weekend and shared insight on what Syracuse is like.

http://imgix.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./155/1551713.jpg?w=600&fit=max

Liam O'Sullivan Switches From Cincinnati to Syracuse (chicagotribune.com; Narang)

Sullivan switches from AAC to the ACC:

Maine South senior offensive lineman Liam O'Sullivan decommitted from Cincinnati on Monday, flipping his commitment to Syracuse.

Instead of playing in the American Athletic Conference, the 6-7, 245-pound Sullivan will be part of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"Cincinnati was great to me, and my decision had nothing to do with their program or coaches," Sullivan said. "It was just what I thought was best for me."

Sullivan said he became interested in Syracuse when assistant coach Sean Lewis offered him a scholarship on Dec. 7. Lewis was a co-offensive coordinator on Dino Babers' staff at Bowling Green, which that defeatedNorthern Illinois to win the Mid-American Conference championship on Dec. 4. Babers was officially introduced as Syracuse's new coach on Dec. 7, with Lewis joining Babers at Syracuse after a two-year stay in Bowling Green.

"When they offered, me and my dad wanted to get out there as soon as possible," O'Sullivan said. "We went there this weekend, and it was awesome. When I got up there and saw the facilities and what they were all about, I thought Syracuse was a better place for me."

O'Sullivan said he will play left or right tackle for Syracuse.

Other

biz-091211-innerharborjpg-c619ce8cb0cce36c_large.jpg

OCIDA to Vote on Inner Harbor Tax Breaks (twcnews.com; Vivacqua)

The Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency is expected to vote Tuesday on a developer's request to receive significant tax breaks for Syracuse's Inner Harbor Project. Cor Development is in charge of the $324 million redevelopment plan, but they're facing quite a bit of opposition on this tax deal.

OCIDA had to move the meeting to the Oncenter to accommodate what's expected to be a large turnout Tuesday. On the table is a 15 year tax break deal, which COR Development has proposed, to help facilitate the redevelopment of the Inner Harbor and attract long-term tenants there. The developer plans to build apartments, hotels, offices, and shops on the eastern shore of Onondaga Lake.

Just two weeks ago, there was standing room only at a public hearing for this proposed 15 year PILOT agreement.

Members of the Syracuse based Urban Jobs Task Force have voiced opposition to the agreement. The group feels COR should have to go through the city not the county which would require the City's Common Council to approve the project first.

Some members of the task force have addressed concerns about high poverty levels and the effects the tax breaks would have on the city.

If OCIDA approves the proposal today COR would start paying taxes after five years, and taxes would then increase progressively.

The meeting is expected to begin at 8 a.m.

RU is at risk of losing Russo, as well. The Ashdom is holding steady, though.

The Ash Holes ought to be livid...
Why? Anyone smart enough to take the Rutgers HC job is smart enough to easily corral 5-star talent to take those losers' places.