Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
shutterstock_136379798-500x375c.jpg

Welcome to National Chocolate Covered Anything Day!

Chocolaholics rejoice! Today is National Chocolate Covered Anything Day.

Its a great day to indulge, binge, "pig out", and otherwise consume to excess, your favorite food...chocolate. We believe the timing of this day, during the holiday season, couldn't be better.

Today, we get to enjoy our beloved chocolate by covering something...just about anything... in a generous amount of chocolate. Pour, spread, or drizzle chocolate over cakes, cupcakes, pies, pancakes or waffles, nuts, raisins, even ants (yes, some people actually eat chocolate covered ants!). We will let you decide what is too extreme, and how much is too much, if any.

As chocoloaholics, we shouldn't need any added incentive to enjoy our chocolate. In the giving spirit of the holiday season, make sure to give or share some of your favorite chocolate covered treats today.

SU News

usa-today-8345139.0.jpg

Riley Dixon is the 55th Orange Player Selected to Play in the Senior Bowl (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

The Senior Bowl is a big deal for college football players looking to impress scouts before the upcoming NFL Draft. And as you already know, Riley Dixon will beparticipating in the latest edition.

What you might not have known, however: Riley is the 55th Syracuse player to appear in the annual all-star game. That's pretty impressive, and also helps add context to just how good of a season the Orange punter/hurdler/runner/passer has had.

Some more stats for you about SU's now 55 selections to-date:

• Dixon is the first Orange punter selected, and the first player to play specifically on special teams.
  • He's the fourth player selected this decade, joining 2013 attendees Alec Lemon, Justin Pugh and Ryan Nassib, respectively.
  • From 1997 through 2007, Syracuse had at least one player selected to the Senior Bowl every year (18 in total)
  • SU has had at least two players selected in every decade of the game's existence.
  • The first Orange(men) player picked to play in the game was tackle Bob Fleck, in 1954.
  • Despite Syracuse's illustrious running back history, only a handful have been selected to the Senior Bowl, excluding several that you'd have expected to be there. The only names from that position: Joe Morris (1982), Jamie Covington (1985), Daryl Johnston (1989), Rob Konrad (1999) and Tony Fiammetta. Obviously several hall of famers left off there, and eight of the top 10 rushers in Orange football history. Weird.

usa-today-8982673.0.jpg

SU Football: Ignorance is Bliss (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Last week, someone on Twitter got all huffy about the fact that new Syracuse Orange head coach Dino Babers was clearly targeting guys who were committed to or considering his former Bowling Green Falcons club. Their disdain came from the fact that Babers implied he would not do so because it was "kind of taboo."

Babers also said at the press conference that he considered Syracuse to be a "destination job" and the implication was clear that he intends to be here for a long time.

Babers did what he's supposed to do. He said the right things. He sounded "correct."

Obviously, you shouldn't believe him.

Obviously, that doesn't mean he's not a good person and means everything else he said.

He's just a college football coach.

Can you imagine how hard of a life being a college coach is? The way your job is almost always year-to-year. The way the results of one game can affect your employment. The way one season can affect your entire career. The grind that the recruiting lifestyle puts on you and your family. All that stress. All that disappointment. All that frustration.

It's the kind of profession where you just have to live in the present moment. You don't have a choice. Your intentions in the present moment are to succeed where you are and to do so indefinitely. That's what you have to tell yourself because the alternative is to fail and end up...who the hell knows? It's very rare as a college coach that you are in control of your destiny so when you have that opportunity, you grab it and go, exude positivity and act like nothing else matters.

star-wars-the-force-awakens-photos-c5e9fb8a559da723.jpg

Read the 1977 'Star Wars' Review From the Syracuse Herald-Journal (PS; Axelson)

Brilliant Movie: Fans flock to 'Star Wars'

By Joan E. Vadeboncoeur

If a single filmmaker can be said to have that elusive attribute — his finger on the public pulse — it is George Lucas. A few years ago he applied his total recall of his teens to "American Graffiti," which still stands as one of the nation's top box office winners.

This year, his immersion in Saturday matinees at the movies has resulted in "Star Wars." which threatens to shatter the box office record set by "Jaws" two years ago.

Although the new entry which opened last night at the Bayberry and Mall Cinema III flashes such technical brilliance that it requires a second viewing, it feeds off its characters (real, animal and computerized) as importantly as did "Graffiti." And its essentials are equally direct and simple.

Just as "2001: A Space Odyssey" would have floundered without Hal the robot and the Keir Dullca astronaut, so, too, would "Star Wars" become flashily shallow without Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo and two endearing robots called Artoo-Detoo and See Threepio.

Lucas' stroll through movie memories takes his true-blood, handsome hero (Skywalker) into a series of adventures that put Jack Armstrong, the All-American boy, to shame. But to make it acceptable to a Seventies audience, he makes Luke just a bit dense, just as he creates heroine Princess Leia as a spunky, resourceful maiden.

Together, they do the Tarzan and Jane act, swinging to save their necks, but at least once she has to use her wits to effect their rescue.

Western Hat
Han Solo injects the noble hero of the World War II airplane movies as he pilots his spacecraft through dangers human and non-human. Lucas also assigns him an imaginary Western white hat in a scene in a space discotheque which boasts a hilarious pop music group. In true John Wayne tradition, Solo outguns his captors — shooting from under the table.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--Dec-16

- Randy Edsall might look at potential NFL or broadcasting jobs, but
he’s owed $3 million from Maryland, so he can take his time. Reflecting on his work at Maryland in an interview with the Hartford Courant, he pointed to fixing the program's academic issues.

"We made the program better," Edsall said. "I stuck to my guns in terms of doing what I thought was right in terms of developing kids, graduating kids and having kids go out and work and play to the best of their ability. We didn't win enough games. So be it.

“But I wasn't going to compromise what I thought the college model should be in terms of graduating your kids, developing the kids and getting them ready for the real world, because less than 1 percent of them are going to the NFL. I wasn't going to compromise that. I was going to work within the framework of the institution."

It seemed to me that Coach Babers was quite clear in his press conference - he would not approach kids committed to BGSU.

But, if a committed kid were to de-commit, he would go after him.

And that appears to be what he has done.

Did he send a message? Probably.

But I don't see where he was dishonest in any way on that issue.

Last edited:
Has TNIAAM gone downhill or has it always been meh?
Ya, that's not a clear picture of the entire situation. But in Keeley's defense he's not a journalist, he's a blogger. The majority of the writing tends to be on the op/ed side in the blogosphere.

The art form that is the written word, dilutes by the day.

Love the play - one of my all- time favorite plays - maybe because I was sitting in the back of the endzone at UVA.

But I can't watch it anymore because of the really tough hit to the upper body that Eric takes. I just hope that hit did not contribute to the end of a college football career.

I just hope Eric Dungey comes back this spring and is able to play for the Orange!!!

It seemed to me that Coach Babers was quite clear in his press conference - he would not approach kids committed to BGSU.

But, if a committed kid were to de-commit, he would go after him.

And that appears to be what he has done.

Did he send a message? Probably.

But I don't see where he was dishonest in any way on that issue.
Additionally, he made no promise to not go after commits to any other school.

Was this not known already? I thought this was announced over a year ago. Just surprised to see that just getting out. And if you ask one conference foe, I think it's a wise decision for them ;)...

The train's a comin', and, you don't wanna be on the tracks when it's comin' through!

Has TNIAAM gone downhill or has it always been meh?
They seem to be very snarky most of the time nowadays. They have really gone downhill IMO.

They seem to be very snarky most of the time nowadays. They have really gone downhill IMO.
Magicians get like that, all of them. Except one, Doug Henning, may he RIP.