Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
epiphany-1.jpg

Welcome to the Epiphany!

Epiphany (Koine Greek: Ἐπιφάνεια, Epiphaneia, "Manifestation", "striking appearance")[1] or Theophany,[2] (Ancient Greek: (ἡ) Θεοφάνεια,Τheophaneia meaning "Vision of God")[3] also known as Three Kings' Day,[4] is a Christian feast day that celebrates the revelation of God the Son as human in Jesus Christ. In Western Christianity, the feast commemorates principally (but not solely) the visit of the Magi to the Christ child, and thus Jesus' physical manifestation to the Gentiles.[5][6]Moreover, the feast of the Epiphany, in some Western Christiandenominations, also initiates the liturgical season of Epiphanytide.[7][8]Eastern Christians, on the other hand, commemorate the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River, seen as his manifestation to the world as theSon of God.[9]

The traditional date for the feast is January 6. However, since 1970, the celebration is held in some countries on the Sunday after January 1.Eastern Churches following the Julian Calendar observe the Theophany feast on what for most countries is January 19[10] because of the 13-day difference today between that calendar and the generally used Gregorian calendar.[11] In many Western Christian Churches, the eve of the feast is celebrated as Twelfth Night.[12][13] The Monday after Epiphany is known asPlough Monday.[14]

Alternative names for the feast in Greek include (τα) Θεοφάνια, Theophany as neuter plural rather than feminine singular, η Ημέρα των Φώτων, i Imera ton Foton (modern Greek pronunciation), hē hēmera tōn phōtōn (restored classical pronunciation), "The Day of the Lights", and τα Φώτα, ta Fota, "The Lights".[15]

SU News

GettyImages-78690041.0.jpg

Orange Hire CNY Native Mike Hart as New Running Backs Coach (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

Just yesterday, the Syracuse Orange filled one of its three remaining coach staff spots with Western Michigan D-line coach Vince Reynolds. Today, as reported by Sports Illustrated's Thayer Evans, they add another new name to the staff, in the Broncos' running backs coach Mike Hart.

Hart, who is a Syracuse native, played for the Michigan Wolverinesfrom 2004-2007 and is the program's all-time leading rusher. In 2006, he was part of a Michigan team that nearly competed for the national title, while also being named a Doak Walker award finalist and fifth-place Heisman Trophy finisher. Following a three-year career with the Indianapolis Colts, he coached at Eastern Michigan for three years, before spending the last two at Western Michigan.

As a high school player, Hart starred at Onondaga Central High School, where he scored 204 rushing touchdowns in his career. He's always been "the one who got away" for Syracuse fans, so this is a bit of a homecoming for him.

Hart's Heisman-caliber pedigree has been a huge help in P.J. Fleck's above-average recruiting at Western Michigan. He's assisted in locking up and developing quality Broncos like Jarvion Franklin,Jamauri Bogan and LeVante Bellamy among others in the WMU backfield. Last year, Western's run game was the 30th-best in the country.

Final 2015 ACC Power Rankings: Clemson Towers Over All (espn; Hale)

Sure, there’s still one (very big) game left on the docket, but the outcome of theCollege Football Playoff National Championship Presented by AT&T isn’t going to change our power rankings. Clemson was by far the ACC's best team, and the bowl season only served to illustrate that.

The Tigers will play for a national title, but the rest of the league was less than impressive in bowl games (3-5), and that’s likely to mean a limited amount of enthusiasm headed into 2016. But with a slew of new big-name coaches joining the fray, along with some talented recruits on the way, the final 2015 power rankings may not be much of a reflection of what’s to come.

1. Clemson Tigers (14-0, 9-0 ACC)

Deshaun Watson and a stout defense dominated Oklahoma in the Capital One Orange Bowl, and Clemson is now on the verge of bringing the ACC its second national championship in three years. Coach Dabo Swinney has done a tremendous job with this team, and with Watson back for 2016, the future looks bright.

10. Virginia Cavaliers (4-8, 3-5)

The results were bad again, but Virginia played some close games against a brutal schedule, so there’s hope for a quick turnaround with new coach Bronco Mendenhall. There are some established pieces in place, from quarterback Matt Johns to safety Quin Blanding, but in a deep Coastal Division, there’s also plenty of work to be done.

11. Syracuse Orange (4-8, 2-6)

Another season of quarterback injuries and inconsistency doomed coach Scott Shafer, and while Dino Babers brings an up-tempo style to Syracuse, there are huge vacancies on the defensive side and a lack of elite playmakers on offense to compete with Clemson and Florida State. Still, there’s far more excitement surrounding the Orange heading into 2016 than there was a year ago.

jim_reid.0.PNG

Iowa Linebacker Coach Jim Reid to be Named DC at BC (blackheartgoldpants.com; Vint & RWB)

The coaching carousel in college football is ever-spinning and while Iowa isn't going to be a primary participant this year (Kirk Ferentz's seat is cold as ice right now), they're going to feel the carousel's effects in the assistant ranks. Case in point: Iowa linebackers coach Jim Reid is headed to Boston College to serve as defensive coordinator for the Eagles, as first reported by A Jersey Guy, a blog by Boston College sportswriter Mark Blaudschun and now confirmed by Blair Sanderson from Iowa's Rivals site.

It's a move that makes sense for Reid, given his history, as Blaudschun outlines:

Reid is a New England guy growing up in Medford and going to school at Maine. Reid also worked his way up through the UMass coaching system, going from a grad assistant to head coach, before he moved to the FBS level.

He left Richmond in 2003, after a 9 year stint and bounced around as an assistant at Syracuse and Bucknell. He went down to the FCS level for a year as the head coach at VMI, before moving briefly into the NFL as a linebackers coach with the Miami Dolphins. He went back to college as an assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Virginia for three years, before moving to Iowa as Coach Kirk Ferentz's linebacker coach in 2012.

super-bowl.jpg

Sean Payton When He was Giants OC

New Candidates for NYG HC Position Include Doug Marrone and Adam Gase (nydailynews.com; Vacchiano)

Adam Gase, Bears offensive coordinator

A rising young star in NFL circles, he worked wonders with the Broncos offense in 2013-14. Of course, he had Peyton Manning there. The Bears offense wasn’t great last season, but quarterback Jay Cutler had one of his finest statistical years.

Sean McDermott, Panthers defensive coordinator

He’s a long-time Eagles assistant who is also a candidate there and comes with the strong recommendation of Panthers GM, and former Giants executive, Dave Gettleman. His Panthers defense have finished in the Top 10 in each of the last four years.

Doug Marrone, Jaguars assistant head coach

The Bronx native was briefly a candidate for the Jets job last year after opting out of his contract with the Buffalo Bills. He had the Bills pointed in the right direction after resurrecting a dead Syracuse football program. He was also Sean Payton’s offensive coordinator in New Orleans from 2006-08.

Hue Jackson, Bengals offensive coordinator

Had one season as the Raiders’ head coach and went 8-8, which is pretty miraculous in Oakland. He spent the last two years earning rave reviews in Cincinnati for his work with quarterback Andy Dalton.

Other

blizzard-of-1994-8a90b6745808313d.jpg

Looking Back on Stories of The Blizzard of 1994 (PS; Leahy)

It may be bitter cold today — and will continue to be next week — but Central New Yorkers experienced much worse 22 years ago.

On Jan. 4-5, 1994, CNY was hit with 26.4 inches in less than 40 hours, the Herald-Journal reported. Lake-effect snow pounded the area, leaving behind 8.4 inches of snow at Hancock Airport in one night. In some places, snow fell at a rate of more than 3 inches an hour.

Coined as "The Blizzard of 1994," the storm gave new meaning to Syracuse's nickname of the Salt City. Reporter Brian Carr noted that more than 150 snow plows spread at least 5 million pounds of salt on roads in Onondaga County.

The Herald-Journal asked readers to call in with their snow storm stories after the clouds passed and the flakes settled. Here are some responses they received:

Daniel Trepanier, of Syracuse:

"Basically my story is that I'm waiting in line for all of the cars to move and all of a sudden I hear a rap at my window. Apparently, I'd fallen asleep and she woke me up. And, like, 10 cars ahead of me had moved up. So, I just woke up and kept going.

Jim Sauer, of Nedrow:

"I was going on South Salina Street and I couldn't see because of all of the snow. All of a sudden I saw this guy riding by on a bicycle with a shovel across the handle bars. He turned and rode up Brighton (Avenue) hill, with no trouble. I couldn't believe it."

Dan Cameron, of Camillus:

"I had to go down to the Valley from Camillus. And I started pulling out cars along the way. One girl I felt really sorry for because I think she blew her engine. I could smell the smoke and the oil burning. I pulled her car into the lot in front of Blockbuster on (East) Seneca Turnpike. I pulled out about four cars with the chains on my truck. The other (three cars) we got out and pushed. My 15-year-old son directed traffic while I pulled the cars. I'm sure people will just remember a big blue Suburban."

What does Justin Pugh have to do with Mike Hart?
Not a thing; that comment was in reference to the article about Mike Hart being named as RB coach.

Reid: I believe T.C. and I really liked this Guy when he Coached at CUSE, Right T.C.? A Good teacher

Not a thing; that comment was in reference to the article about Mike Hart being named as RB coach.
LOL... I think you missed a joke there. When Pugh was in the draft all the "experts" commented on how short his arms are.

Reid: I believe T.C. and I really liked this Guy when he Coached at CUSE, Right T.C.? A Good teacher
I assume you are talking about me, not Tom Coughlin. In that case, yes, I liked Jim Reid. Good guy, very honest and forthcoming. BC got a good one.

I assume you are talking about me, not Tom Coughlin. In that case, yes, I liked Jim Reid. Good guy, very honest and forthcoming. BC got a good one.

He did an excellent job with the linebackers at Iowa. Nice hire for BC.