For Tomcat - The Trifecta | Syracusefan.com

For Tomcat - The Trifecta

Back in 2006 or 2007, at one of the football tailgates, you said you wanted the trifecta - Robinson, Gross, and Cantor gone. "I want my program back."

Better late than never.
Not really. That program is the one that lost to GT about 250-0. Is that the program anyone wants back? Jack and Paul ran it into the ground.

Back in 2006 or 2007, at one of the football tailgates, you said you wanted the trifecta - Robinson, Gross, and Cantor gone. "I want my program back."

Better late than never.

you need to drink more. reciting quotes from tailgates 8-9 years ago means you were too sober.

Better late than never.
I don't want to say that the axis of evil is at last broken but the axis of evil is at last broken. Time to move forward now...I don't want to dance on anyone's graves.

Best of luck to all of them...

I don't want to say that the axis of evil is at last broken but the axis of evil is at last broken. Time to move forward now...I don't want to dance on anyone's graves.

Best of luck to all of them. .

somewhere else.

dancing on others graves is what we do best here. Re: UConn

Not really. That program is the one that lost to GT about 250-0. Is that the program anyone wants back? Jack and Paul ran it into the ground.

What BS.

That program went to nine bowl games 13 years, including its final season.

Fiesta twice, Orange, Gator, Liberty and on and on.

Stop the nonsense and ackowledge the facts.

All those graves/mcnabb yrs. 1999 onwards trending down, save a dead cat bounce in 2001

i laughed

What BS.

That program went to nine bowl games 13 years, including its final season.

Fiesta twice, Orange, Gator, Liberty and on and on.

Stop the nonsense and ackowledge the facts.

Bookend blowouts to average teams and a loss to Temple were also part of that final bowl season too. The decay had started.

Bookend blowouts to average teams and a loss to Temple were also part of that final bowl season too. The decay had started.

"The decay started"

The decay started in the mid-1990s when the program was deprived of the funding it needed to compete.

The blow-out loss to Purdue - a favorite that year to win the Big Ten - was a blood money game. The University took the early game for a paycheck. With no experience at QB, the team was simply not ready for that game.

Blow out losses in bowl games mean very little. They happen all the time.

Didn't Clemson lose to WVU two years ago by close to 70 points in the Orange Bowl?

And the Temple game was a very good QB having a great game - the following week was utterly glorious in Boston.

The fact is that even with the issues that the program was having , the team beat Pitt, BC, Rutgers, UConn - gave FSU all it could handle, won the BE Championship and went bowling.

A lot needed to be done - clearly.

But I would have taken six wins and a bowl last year - even a blow out loss.

OrangePA said:
What BS. That program went to nine bowl games 13 years, including its final season. Fiesta twice, Orange, Gator, Liberty and on and on. Stop the nonsense and ackowledge the facts.

Most of that era was good to great. But as you say, acknowledge the facts.

The last 3 were 16-20. Mediocre. Massive blowouts and losses to teams we had no business losing to. Recruiting fell way off and we were totally out in 2 of our prime recruiting territories; NJ and Florida. As to going to that bowl game? Yes it's a fact. But it's also a fact it came in a year where the BE was horrible and had a 4 way tie for 1st. The program started cratering in 2002 whether some people want to ignore the facts or not.

I admire you for standing up for PP, OrangePA. It's easy to forget the great wins he gave us and the great players he brought here and only remember the misery of his last couple of years.

Most of that era was good to great. But as you say, acknowledge the facts.

The last 3 were 16-20. Mediocre. Massive blowouts and losses to teams we had no business losing to. Recruiting fell way off and we were totally out in 2 of our prime recruiting territories; NJ and Florida. As to going to that bowl game? Yes it's a fact. But it's also a fact it came in a year where the BE was horrible and had a 4 way tie for 1st. The program started cratering in 2002 whether some people want to ignore the facts or not.

Stop it already. Please.

It was a great run period.

If it had been funded properly it would have continued.

Pasqualoni did a great job and was undercut by a naïve and financially strained Administration.

And stop it with the losses that should never have occurred.

Don Shula should never has lost to the NY Jets in the Super Bowl.

Pete Carroll should never have lost to Stanford when the Cardinal I believe was dead last in the Pac 12.

Va Tech should never have lost to Temple back in the early 2000s.

Clemson should never have given up 70 points to West Va in the Orange Bowl.

Nebraska should never have been down 34-0 in the NC Game against Miami.

And on and on.

It is silly to try to challenge the success of a coach or a program by isolating a handful of games.

The facts are the facts - we had a great time under Pasqualoni - I went to AZ three times in the winter and Florida a few times over New Years and saw lots of great and exciting games in the Dome while he was coach. I was even in Orlando for his last game - a bowl game - and had plenty of fun that weekend.

He was not a PR guy - he was not glib or flamboyant.

But he was solid as a rock and with him you always thought that you had a chance to win the game.

He had a great career at SU.

So enough already with this issue.

It's simply not tenable.

2009-2014: 35 wins

1999-2004: 39 wins

So, yeah.

Reactions: CIL
2009-2014: 35 wins

1999-2004: 39 wins

So, yeah.

2005-2008 - 10 wins.

"So, yeah."

The problem is that you weren't around in the 1970s or the 1980s when the Program was going nowhere.

You weren't there when DeLeone and Pasqualoni came and helped turned around a program that Coach Mac had been running without a lot of success for five years - there was an instant change in the offense with DeLeone's introduction of pro-option.

And you don't really understand or refuse to recognize the financial constraints that made it more and more difficult to win on the Hill in the early 2000s - the financial rise of Va Tech and the rise of UConn and the heavy financial investment made by the State of NJ in Rutgers Football.

And SU hung in there with AstroTurf in the Dome and no weight room.

You showed up in what 1992?

It's a waste of time to argue this - the facts are the facts.

Two Fiesta Bowls, an Orange Bowl, a Gator Bowl, a Liberty Bowl, a Champs Bowl, a Music City Bowl, a Hall of Fame Bowl, and on and on.

It's a great record.

The last ten years should have made clear just how difficult it is to win on the Hill.

And just to not snark and run... We had some great times under Coach P, only idiots don't acknowledge that. But things post-McNabb weren't great, and there were lots of contributing factors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: just beat Temple in 2004 and there would have been no coaching change heading into 2005.

And just to not snark and run... We had some great times under Coach P, only idiots don't acknowledge that. But things post-McNabb weren't great, and there were lots of contributing factors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: just beat Temple in 2004 and there would have been no coaching change heading into 2005.

You may be right.

But making the change on that basis was misguided.

OrangePA said:
Stop it already. Please. It was a great run period. If it had been funded properly it would have continued. Pasqualoni did a great job and was undercut by a naïve and financially strained Administration. And stop it with the losses that should never have occurred. Don Shula should never has lost to the NY Jets in the Super Bowl. Pete Carroll should never have lost to Stanford when the Cardinal I believe was dead last in the Pac 12. Va Tech should never have lost to Temple back in the early 2000s. Clemson should never have given up 70 points to West Va in the Orange Bowl. Nebraska should never have been down 34-0 in the NC Game against Miami. And on and on. It is silly to try to challenge the success of a coach or a program by isolating a handful of games. The facts are the facts - we had a great time under Pasqualoni - I went to AZ three times in the winter and Florida a few times over New Years and saw lots of great and exciting games in the Dome while he was coach. I was even in Orlando for his last game - a bowl game - and had plenty of fun that weekend. He was not a PR guy - he was not glib or flamboyant. But he was solid as a rock and with him you always thought that you had a chance to win the game. He had a great career at SU. So enough already with this issue. It's simply not tenable.

You twisted what I said. I said that era was good to great. I did not challenge his career here. I pointed out indisputable facts from the last 3 years.

I admire you for standing up for PP, OrangePA. It's easy to forget the great wins he gave us and the great players he brought here and only remember the misery of his last couple of years.
Well said