For what's it worth... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

For what's it worth...

This. I've always appreciated OGBJ insight. But at this point, it's confusing. BJ was great vs. ND (and one of the BC games, if I remember correctly), but he had more than enough opportunity on a team that was very weak on the perimeter last year and just couldn't stick it. With Mali/Lydon this year then Moyer next year, BJ saw the writing on the wall. BJ had his chance last year to prove himself and it just didn't happen, I wish it did.

When OGBJ stops by it seems like everyone professes remorse for BJ leaving and that he would have been a great player and that he still will be a great player at LaSalle. He might be -- but I have a feeling if OGBJ didn't post here, BJ would never be brought up as a "tough loss". I can't recall one post all season regarding how better this team would be with BJ. Who knows, maybe with this past summer he would have made that leap, but the past is the past so it doesn't help to look at it now

I appreciate OG's insight into what BJ is doing now and how he is progressing, but he seems to be attacking the SU program with this post. JB wants every single kid who walks through that door to succeed and have 4 great years at SU, that didn't happen with BJ -- but to blame Syracuse when so many great players before him have done is a little ridiculous.[/QUOTE
There is no blame of SU for happened in BJ's case or any other situation. The fact is that stuff happened prior to his arrival and during his stay. Just like any institution stuff happen but the victims are usually the ones that had nothing to do with the situation that occurred. The ncaa which I believe to be a very bad organization seems to care less about the student/athlete which in turn forces the hands of the institutions to make difficult decisions and seemingly harsh decisions regarding players based on ncaa decisions. Again, the fact that SU was sanctioned by the ncaa was a issue that caused these turn of events in BJ's case to a degree. The biggest regret from myself and coach when we stated in the past conversations leading to the decision to leave was that, coach,"I wished I would have redshirted BJ in the beginning." I stated that I should have insisted that BJ reshirt as a freshmen because his was behind so many players at the 3 and the 2. The rest is history. But no blame to SU or anything of the sort. We all we the issues lingering and the possible hammer coming down on SU within the 4-5yrs of BJ's stay.

Bobby, I've enjoyed your unique perspective here over the past couple of years, but right now you sound like an enabling parent. Doesn't BJ bear any responsibility for his situation? He had many opportunities in his two years at Syracuse and quite frankly, mostly came up very small. Sure, it sucks. I have a 20 year old son too. Sometimes he succeeds beyond expectations. Sometimes he fails. It's called life.

You seem to be trying to declare your love for the program while condemning it at the same time. You're also dancing (not very well) around the issue of whether BJ (& Ron) were shown the door. If you have something to say, say it. If not, why post this? Regardless, your premise that this situation is the cause of the team's current issues is just plain silly and short sighted. The reasons for the program's struggles lately are many and multilayered, and they began well before BJ got here, and well before he was asked to leave (if that is in fact what happened).

I have posted innumerable times criticizing the staff's use of or rather non-use of the full roster. This year the "victom" IMHO is Obokoh. When BJ was here I wanted to see him get more minutes, and I said so often.

However, in the staff's defense, it was apparent to all but OG and BJ himself that he should have taken a shirt in his freshman season. The failure to take a shirt made it look like BJ was "behind" schedule in terms of being a contributor. Had he taken a shirt then I believe he would have been "on" schedule in terms of how he was playing and that might have made a huge difference. I am not on the inside looking out, rather I am on the outside looking in, but from that perspective I think part of the attraction of coming to the Cuse is knowing that if a player thinks he is good enough to be part of the top six then he will get big minutes on the court. Conversely, players who want to play high D1 ball, but who might lack some amount of talent or confidence & only see themselves as end of rotation players should not view us as an attractive landing place.

Of course, nobody expected the NCAA hammer to come down as hard as it did. The scholie reduction forced the staff into a mode of trying to populate the roster with more players who they perceived were ready "today." The staff will be struggling with this for three more years. Guys who can't cut it early will be forced to fall by the wayside as seems to be the case with Kaleb this season.
This. I've always appreciated OGBJ insight. But at this point, it's confusing. BJ was great vs. ND (and one of the BC games, if I remember correctly), but he had more than enough opportunity on a team that was very weak on the perimeter last year and just couldn't stick it. With Mali/Lydon this year then Moyer next year, BJ saw the writing on the wall. BJ had his chance last year to prove himself and it just didn't happen, I wish it did.

When OGBJ stops by it seems like everyone professes remorse for BJ leaving and that he would have been a great player and that he still will be a great player at LaSalle. He might be -- but I have a feeling if OGBJ didn't post here, BJ would never be brought up as a "tough loss". I can't recall one post all season regarding how better this team would be with BJ. Who knows, maybe with this past summer he would have made that leap, but the past is the past so it doesn't help to look at it now

I appreciate OG's insight into what BJ is doing now and how he is progressing, but he seems to be attacking the SU program with this post. JB wants every single kid who walks through that door to succeed and have 4 great years at SU, that didn't happen with BJ -- but to blame Syracuse when so many great players before him have done is a little ridiculous.
There is no blame on anyone person in this case. The cause and effect process is in full motion and it has to play out. We knowingly came to SU to play with the understanding that they have been under the ncaa radar for several years. The hammer comes down and it just happens of effect the outcome for BJ at SU during that time. The biggest error in BJ's case was BJ's reshirting as frosh. And to clear this up. During a conversation with coach and fully understanding what these things are about and how stuff happens when like is: JB "I wished I would have reshirted BJ as a frosh" and I stated that should have insisted that we redshirt BJ especially with the depth at forward and the 2-guard spot. With that being said we agreed that we mismanaged BJ from the beginning and at the time of the departure the lost of scholarships were damaging in this case. Trust me it's all good with me and the SU staff/program.

Last edited:
Bobby, I've enjoyed your unique perspective here over the past couple of years, but right now you sound like an enabling parent. Doesn't BJ bear any responsibility for his situation? He had many opportunities in his two years at Syracuse and quite frankly, mostly came up very small. Sure, it sucks. I have a 20 year old son too. Sometimes he succeeds beyond expectations. Sometimes he fails. It's called life.

You seem to be trying to declare your love for the program while condemning it at the same time. You're also dancing (not very well) around the issue of whether BJ (& Ron) were shown the door. If you have something to say, say it. If not, why post this? Regardless, your premise that this situation is the cause of the team's current issues is just plain silly and short sighted. The reasons for the program's struggles lately are many and multilayered, and they began well before BJ got here, and well before he was asked to leave (if that is in fact what happened).
Although I do dance pretty well, I've answered the door question before and you have to play the cards you are dealt. BJ did all in his power to be ready to play well when given legitimate opportunities. See I'm aware of all circumstances involving the BJ situation that most of you are not when it comes to speaking with coaches etc. But there are other variables that can derail the train and sometimes you have no control over those wrecks. The stuff that has happened has consequently effected BJ and SU in that the BJ is not playing at all for the school that he promised to help bring national championship by the time he left and SU not being to function as normal as possible after the ncaa dropped the hammer.

There is no blame of SU for happened in BJ's case or any other situation. The fact is that stuff happened prior to his arrival and during his stay. Just like any institution stuff happen but the victims are usually the ones that had nothing to do with the situation that occurred. The ncaa which I believe to be a very bad organization seems to care less about the student/athlete which in turn forces the hands of the institutions to make difficult decisions and seemingly harsh decisions regarding players based on ncaa decisions. Again, the fact that SU was sanctioned by the ncaa was a issue that caused these turn of events in BJ's case to a degree. The biggest regret from myself and coach when we stated in the past conversations leading to the decision to leave was that, coach,"I wished I would have redshirted BJ in the beginning." I stated that I should have insisted that BJ reshirt as a freshmen because his was behind so many players at the 3 and the 2. The rest is history. But no blame to SU or anything of the sort. We all new the issues lingering and the possible hammer coming down on SU within the 4-5yrs of BJ's stay.

AlaskaSU said:
People might have unrealistic expectations for next year based in large part on Chukwu. As a frosh he was a non-factor. although he is tall he is neither Cat Rescue Man nor Shaq.

He will be among the nation's leaders in shot blocking next year. He is a difference maker in our system.

He will be among the nation's leaders in shot blocking next year. He is a difference maker in our system.

What makes you believe that he will be able to stay on the floor (next season) long enough to be a difference maker in our system? I am hopeful because he is not a true frosh and he will have one year in the system by the time he hits the floor in games, but we rarely see big guys come into this system and perform well in their first season on the floor.

What makes you believe that he will be able to stay on the floor (next season) long enough to be a difference maker in our system? I am hopeful because he is not a true frosh and he will have one year in the system by the time he hits the floor in games, but we rarely see big guys come into this system and perform well in their first season on the floor.
Don't underestimate the redshirt year. He will have a full year (and 2 offseasons) to be comfortable with the zone. You're right about the big men usually taking a few years -- but when JB usually make proclaimations he ends up being correct, and I don't recall him saying what he's said about Paschal about any other big man.

Rak and Fab were both formidable in their 2nd year in the zone. BMK, Rick and AO took 3 years. It's fair to say that Paschal probably has more natural defensive ability than any of those guys, with the possible expcetion of Fab.

There is no blame of SU for happened in BJ's case or any other situation. The fact is that stuff happened prior to his arrival and during his stay. Just like any institution stuff happen but the victims are usually the ones that had nothing to do with the situation that occurred. The ncaa which I believe to be a very bad organization seems to care less about the student/athlete which in turn forces the hands of the institutions to make difficult decisions and seemingly harsh decisions regarding players based on ncaa decisions. Again, the fact that SU was sanctioned by the ncaa was a issue that caused these turn of events in BJ's case to a degree. The biggest regret from myself and coach when we stated in the past conversations leading to the decision to leave was that, coach,"I wished I would have redshirted BJ in the beginning." I stated that I should have insisted that BJ reshirt as a freshmen because his was behind so many players at the 3 and the 2. The rest is history. But no blame to SU or anything of the sort. We all new the issues lingering and the possible hammer coming down on SU within the 4-5yrs of BJ's stay.

THIS^^^^. The NCAA messes with kids who have nothing to do with what happened years ago. Or by questioning courses in another country in a far away continent where they have no idea how to answer what the NCAA wants. Heck the schools in the US have enough trouble figuring out what the NCAA wants. OGBJ makes a great point on how this ultimately messed his son up. (not saying that is the only thing that went south, but just a perfect example of the NCAA screwing with innocent kids)
Let's look at a player that took a little longer to develop...Rak...How about a player who had to transfer to find his opportunity and it seems to have worked out pretty well...Gbinije. Not everyone comes in and becomes the player they will walk out as in the first two years.

THIS^^^^. The NCAA messes with kids who have nothing to do with what happened years ago. Or by questioning courses in another country in a far away continent where they have no idea how to answer what the NCAA wants. Heck the schools in the US have enough trouble figuring out what the NCAA wants. OGBJ makes a great point on how this ultimately messed his son up. (not saying that is the only thing that went south, but just a perfect example of the NCAA screwing with innocent kids)
Let's look at a player that took a little longer to develop...Rak...How about a player who had to transfer to find his opportunity and it seems to have worked out pretty well...Gbinije. Not everyone comes in and becomes the player they will walk out as in the first two years.
That's all I was trying to point out in the initial post. In retrospect, just because of his talent level from day one I could have had BJ put in his natural grade initially and then reclassified him thus making him a frosh this year but at didn't happen. We could have prepped him after being one of the top players in the 2013 class in pa but that didn't happened either. And finally we could have reshirted him and hi would have been sophomore now but... That didn't happen. Now pile on the ncaa bs and all is lost at that moment. The good thing about this BJ and SU will bounce back however without either getting an apology or any type of admittance of over sanctioning SU embellishing the fiasco.

Enough with the passive aggressive comments about SU basketball. It's pretty obvious why Ron & BJ are gone. Both had opportunities to play last year and neither took full advantage. On top of that, Ron would've been buried on the bench and BJ would've backed up MR this year. MR is already a better player than BJ in my opinion. BJ's depth would've been nice if we knew about the additional scholly or diagne's situation earlier.

On a side note, I wonder how the parents of current forward's on LaSalle's roster feel about the coaches bringing in a transfer who will undoubtedly take playing time away from their kids??? Ron & BJ seem like great people who were victims of the NCAA.
Easy slugga it's the lif we have chosen, it's all good.

I believe it's because OGB has made friends on this board who appreciate his basketball knowledge and his son.

Honestly, it's probably both. That and the attention.

So...why to you come and post here? Your son - who I hope has a wonderful career when it resumes - is no longer here.

Do you love the attention? Love merchandising who your son is?

It makes no sense to me.
Once a member of the orange family, always a member of the orange family. Never forget that. If you knew me you know that I don't need to seek attention or merchandising my son.

Once a member of the orange family, always a member of the orange family. Never forget that. If you knew me you know that I don't need to seek attention or merchandising my son.

Ok, sure. It's just that I don't know you and kinda don't get it, but cool. Happy basketballing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom