For you recrutniks | Syracusefan.com

For you recrutniks

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
It seems to me there is great momentum. It also seems to me that a shaky start, bad season and a short time on HCSS's contract could lead to some ship jumping.
Is now not the time to announce an extension? The AD could even speak about SU's commitment to continuity and commitment to the young men who have already committed to SU.
Without that, we could see lots of changes of heart.

If we had won 5-6 games last year then yes you extend, regardless of recruiting you don't extend after last years disaster. 1st year wasn't great either, acceptable but not great 7-6 with lots of question marks that only got worse last year.

That's what has me very nervous. The good news, though, is if the OPPOSITE happens and we start to build on field momentum, we're poised for a potentially fantastic 2017 class. We're in with a loooooot of terrific players in the rising junior class. Just need to get some wins and keep the staff in place.

While there won't be any immediate extension, I also am confident HCSS will keep his job for at least another year regardless of the results this year.

That's what has me very nervous. The good news, though, is if the OPPOSITE happens and we start to build on field momentum, we're poised for a potentially fantastic 2017 class. We're in with a loooooot of terrific players in the rising junior class. Just need to get some wins and keep the staff in place.

Agreed. It is vitally important that we get off to that 3-1 start this year, and somehow scratch out enough wins to get to a bowl. Also vitally important that Lester show that he has the chops to be a reasonably good OC. Because if he falters, the team falters, Shafer probably gets fired, and all of the momentum on the recruiting trail screeches to an abrupt halt.

Is his current contract publicly known? If yes there could be a decision to make, if not then there isn't.

What a great benefit recruiting provides college head coaches. No one really knows if you're on the right track but we have to extend you, otherwise it leads to negative recruiting and hurts the future of the program.

As a private school, I hope all the contracts remain private, as well as the terms of any extensions. Just announce there is an extension if you have to but if the school successfully negotiated an easy out plan, no one needs to know.

he should get a extension now. rutgers did that with schiano when he was losing and it did wonders for his recruiting

he should get a extension now. rutgers did that with schiano when he was losing and it did wonders for his recruiting

No, he should not.

His team went 7-6 his first year - and by all means overachieved. But he was spotted on national TV cursing at another head coach, he was blown out by a slightly above average Georgia Tech team and then admitted that he changed the entire defensive philosophy for one game, got blown out by an average (at best) Northwestern team on the road, lost a very winnable game the first game of the year vs. Penn State, then pulled out a miracle comeback vs. BC just to be eligible for a bowl.

His second year, his starting QB was thrown out of a game vs. an FCS school in a game they should have lost, his offensive coordinator came out in the press and made himself and the program look bad, his defensive philosophies and punting on 4th and short from midfield were highly questionable, and we lost the last two games of the year by a combined 58-14.

Listen, I know there were injuries. I know they have some recruits coming in that are some of the best (on paper) we have had in a number of years. But this staff has not proven to me that it can come up with game plans at an ACC level. I love Shafer and all that he stands for, but until I see the coaching decisions on par to those that I see in the ACC or elsewhere in high-major football, he remains the biggest question mark with this program.

punting on 4th and short from midfield .

I believe this is called "locking the doors behind them and not letting them out".

I don't want to hear that ever again and then watch being down a couple scores, with minutes left in the game, ball on your side, and punting. I really have a hard time with all "the talk" after witnessing that. Luckily there was nobody left in the seats around me.

SUFan44 said:
No, he should not. His team went 7-6 his first year - and by all means overachieved. But he was spotted on national TV cursing at another head coach, he was blown out by a slightly above average Georgia Tech team and then admitted that he changed the entire defensive philosophy for one game, got blown out by an average (at best) Northwestern team on the road, lost a very winnable game the first game of the year vs. Penn State, then pulled out a miracle comeback vs. BC just to be eligible for a bowl. His second year, his starting QB was thrown out of a game vs. an FCS school in a game they should have lost, his offensive coordinator came out in the press and made himself and the program look bad, his defensive philosophies and punting on 4th and short from midfield were highly questionable, and we lost the last two games of the year by a combined 58-14. Listen, I know there were injuries. I know they have some recruits coming in that are some of the best (on paper) we have had in a number of years. But this staff has not proven to me that it can come up with game plans at an ACC level. I love Shafer and all that he stands for, but until I see the coaching decisions on par to those that I see in the ACC or elsewhere in high-major football, he remains the biggest question mark with this program.

Crud post. Aside from the Gtech/Fsu/Clemson games in year one - the defensive staff have proven that they can coach. Shafer's been fielding top 50 defenses for a decade. One of the biggest wins in Stanfords history can be linked to a low-talent, great gameplan vs USC. Or the nightmare Shafer's D was for a very productive Geno Smith and WVU.

Offense? Sure. Juries out. Questionable gameplan decisions? Sure, a few.

His team went 7-6 his first year - and by all means overachieved.
Agree I think he overachieved that year. The offensive cupboard was pretty bare that season as the team lost a lot of quality talent and he was a rookie head coach with a whole new staff.

But he was spotted on national TV cursing at another head coach...

...he was blown out by a slightly above average Georgia Tech team and then admitted that he changed the entire defensive philosophy for one game, got blown out by an average (at best) Northwestern team on the road, lost a very winnable game the first game of the year vs. Penn State, then pulled out a miracle comeback vs. BC just to be eligible for a bowl.
Granted, I didn't think it would be as bad as it was, but I was told by every ACC alumn from opposing schools prior to that game and they warned me to not be overly optimistic. Most accurately predicted that the chop blocking by GT would have a really negative impact on the health of our team for the remainder of the season. Northwestern game sucked, agreed. While the Penn State game was winnable, it was hardly expected that SU would actually win. Allen Robinson missed the first half which actually kept the game really close with their true freshman quarterback at the helm. When he was put in, the game was over. While the BC game was a crazy comeback, should have won the game before vs. Pitt, so we'll call that a wash.

His second year, his starting QB was thrown out of a game vs. an FCS school in a game they should have lost...
This is 100% on Terrell Hunt. Absolutely nothing a coach can do to prevent his QB from losing his head like that and it was absolutely inexcusable. But that doesn't fall on Shafer's shoulders.

...his offensive coordinator came out in the press and made himself and the program look bad...
No disagreement here. I thought Shafer could have handled this situation better (aka.. show Mcf*ckit the door in a very public way).

...his defensive philosophies and punting on 4th and short from midfield were highly questionable, and we lost the last two games of the year by a combined 58-14.
Agreed again.

Overall agreed with most of what you said, but there were a few things I didn't think were fair.

TheCusian said:
Crud post. Aside from the Gtech/Fsu/Clemson games in year one - the defensive staff have proven that they can coach. Shafer's been fielding top 50 defenses for a decade. One of the biggest wins in Stanfords history can be linked to a low-talent, great gameplan vs USC. Or the nightmare Shafer's D was for a very productive Geno Smith and WVU. Offense? Sure. Juries out. Questionable gameplan decisions? Sure, a few.

I don't know man I think SUfan's post was pretty spot on.

Whatever way you slice it, it all comes down to this year.

anomander said:
I don't know man I think SUfan's post was pretty spot on. Whatever way you slice it, it all comes down to this year.

Yeah - I agree. I was more speaking to the idea that our defensive coaches "haven't proven anything"... I have full trust in that side of the ball.

HC - hopefully learning and getting better at time management, leadership (hands on or hands off), etc.

OC - the most to prove. Haven't accomplished anything.

You can score on offense with mediocre talent and I think we, at least, have that now. This year is definitely make or break for the offense with a full summer to work in the new system and an experienced QB.

I love our defense, absolutely love it. We are so aggressive and downright scary for opposing QBs at times...unless you have top 20 talent on offense, then we get completely mollywhopped. I want to see that change. There is no reason our defense should terrorize mediocre to below average offenses and then look like a pee-wee squad against top tier talent. I know we're going to give up some points but I don't want to see FSU, Clemson with a legit QB and ND type games where we literally can't stop them aside from turnovers.

I'm rooting hard for Shafer to do well and get extended, not because I totally believe in his coaching (juries still out and he very well may make me a believer) but because I do believe in his recruiting and in the ACC, which recruits almost on pace with the SEC lately, we need great recruiters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom