Foreign players | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Foreign players

The players that make the turn-styles click have little time for academics. The reason the charade continues is obvious. You were not suggesting phony courses but that would be their essence, sort of like everything you need to know you should have learned in kindergarten. Sports management and communication cover ancillary fields and relevant off the court skills. There are many classes in finance which cover money management. Unfortunately, the nostrum of academics first is a charade for the most promising athletes. Creating a major in being a pro would further divorce them from academia. Classes like sports management are of interest to a variety of students. Only a handful of students will become professional athletes. You are advocating creation of classes that only a handful of students would take and lacking a broader spectrum of students, there is a likelihood that the program would become a farce. I cannot think of anything relevant to being a good pro that 1) is not already offered and 2) that is worthy of academia. Respectful behavior is generally taught in kindergarten rather than the university.

I see no reason why other students couldn't take the same courses or even why they would have to be different courses than are currently offered. Just gather the relevant courses for a career in athletics together into a major for those that wish to pursue that profession. That's better than having athletes pretend to be scholars whose sport is their hobby. All that teaches is how to be a phony.

let's recognize that we are training these guys for a profession. SU has already done that in everything but name only with the Falk school. Why not make it official?

What percentage of SU's athletes actually compete in their sport on a professional level and earn a living doing so? I'd be willing to bet it would be 5% or less. Training them for careers as professional athletes would do an incredible disservice to most all of those trained in that fashion. Basically it would allow the University to exploit them for four years and leave them with nothing that is marketable when their eligibility is exhausted.

Even guys like Orr, Rautins (Leo), Thompson, Griffin etc. need their degree to enter the second stage of their basketball careers and become coaches. Wasn't it Laz Sims that couldn't move on to the payroll at SU because he had never earned his degree?

We've had some good foreign players mixed in with the bad over the years.

Much like our own native players.

Kueth Duany, and just last year, Rakeem both were exemplary foreign born student athletes. In fact the bad (Fab Melo) seems to be much more the aberration than the rule. We haven't had that many foreign players throughout the years but players like Kristof, Keuth, Rakeem, and of course Baye, like Joyce mentioned, were great additions to SU. Just seems like some over reaction because SU's overall history with foreign players is a very positive and mutually beneficial one.

I see no reason why other students couldn't take the same courses or even why they would have to be different courses than are currently offered. Just gather the relevant courses for a career in athletics together into a major for those that wish to pursue that profession. That's better than having athletes pretend to be scholars whose sport is their hobby. All that teaches is how to be a phony.
We have Sports Management. The only students that might be interested in majoring in Professional Athlete would be a handful, none of which will be here longer than a year or two.

Much like our own native players.

Kueth Duany, and just last year, Rakeem both were exemplary foreign born student athletes. In fact the bad (Fab Melo) seems to be much more the aberration than the rule. We haven't had that many foreign players throughout the years but players like Kristof, Keuth, Rakeem, and of course Baye, like Joyce mentioned, were great additions to SU. Just seems like some over reaction because SU's overall history with foreign players is a very positive and mutually beneficial one.

Rony Seikaly, too [for the purposes of this discussion, I'll exclude the Canadians]. Most of those players have been exceptional students, too. Fab was the rotten apple.

And the NCAAs handling of Diagne's situation seems similarly "rotten."

We have Sports Management. The only students that might be interested in majoring in Professional Athlete would be a handful, none of which will be here longer than a year or two.

I'm talking about Academies of sport or Schools of Athletics that train people not only in the their sport but for any and all jobs in that sector of the economy. it seems to me that that is what the Falk school is already about. We're basically already doing this: let's end the charade and make it official.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom