Forty Seventh Year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Forty Seventh Year

The 2012 team was really, really good.

That's the team that prompted me to add the second really. 2012 was a good team and I loved watching them but still an 8-5 team vs teams that used to occasionally smack around Miami, Va Tech, etc (while also lose What games admittedly) were really, really good.

Fan since birth. Diehard since 1998. So, 16 years. Been to my first 4 games in the last 2 years. Only loss was Clemson, so those have been great. (Love the board tailgates.) Only gonna make Wake this year, but I'm excited for this year and the future with this coaching staff. Let's go Orange!

Much respect for sticking with the program when we have been at our absolute worst.

87 was my 1st year following the team for both Cuse FB and BB (great year to start!!). Owens ran that 2 point conversion in about 10 yards in front of me!!

I was at that game. Scalped a ticket and sat right in the middle of the farmers. What a finish!! One I'll never forget

My freshman year (1987) messed me forever. Each year I dream of a repeat year. Can THunt be our next Donnie Mac? LGO!
my Junior year was 2003 and I will always be grateful and in debted to the sporting gods... always

EDIT: forgot to add, my first fandom memories are of Marvin Graves so I am at 22ish years. Became a diehard fan when I first attended their camp the summer before my freshman year ('94)

Last edited:
Would a healthy Justin Pugh have made the difference against NW, USC, or Minny? That team should have been better than 8-5.

That should have been a double digit win team. NW, Minn, Rutgers, Cinci all lost opportunities. Partly Pugh, partly not realizing how good they could be. Having the 17th ranked offense and 43rd ranked defense is pretty damn good. Four years after the offense and defense were sub 100 ranked.

That's the team that prompted me to add the second really. 2012 was a good team and I loved watching them but still an 8-5 team vs teams that used to occasionally smack around Miami, Va Tech, etc (while also lose What games admittedly) were really, really good.

If that is the standard I don't think they are there yet. If they can get back to where they were two years ago that will be an accomplishment.

If that is the standard I don't think they are there yet. If they can get back to where they were two years ago that will be an accomplishment.

By the end of the season I thought the 2012 team was a legit top 20 club. Plugging a 1st rd NFL tackle into the lineup after a few losses shouldn't be overlooked. I had complete confidence in Nassib, the wr's, the OL, and most importantly the coaching staff. I felt that team could have been competitive with anyone by the end of the season. As much as I try I just don't have the confidence in this current team.

I don't think we'll ever be back to that standard. Maybe we will, hopefully we will, but I've sort of accepted it as an unfortunate reality. Landscape is so much different now. More competitors, both in our region, and entering our region from the outside.

I think it's going to be a normally 6-8 win program in a 12 game regular season. Which, considering how the administration viewed the program in the early 00s, and the GRob disaster that ensued, doesn't sound too terrible.

Hopefully you avoid the valley season of 4-5 wins, and then when things align right (schedule, experience), you get the peak of the double digit win season. 2012 could have been that season.

I don't think we'll ever be back to that standard. Maybe we will, hopefully we will, but I've sort of accepted it as an unfortunate reality. Landscape is so much different now. More competitors, both in our region, and entering our region from the outside.

I think it's going to be a normally 6-8 win program in a 12 game regular season. Which, considering how the administration viewed the program in the early 00s, and the GRob disaster that ensued, doesn't sound too terrible.

Hopefully you avoid the valley season of 4-5 wins, and then when things align right (schedule, experience), you get the peak of the double digit win season. 2012 could have been that season.

I think that's acceptable if we can average 7 or 8 a year, but have that one year every decade we rise up and contend with 10 or 11 wins.

Last edited:
My first football memory was watching the Cherry Bowl on tv in 1985 against Maryland when Tim Green played. I also met him at a bowling alley that year. He could roll that ball very very hard. I was completely hooked during the magical 1987 year and have been ever since through the good times, the bad times and the GRob years :)

37 years for me.

First game was vs Washington Huskies in 1977. A guy by the name of Warren Moon was QB for the Huskies. My dad brought me. Dave Jacobs won with a last second field goal. Been hooked ever since. Go Orange!

Been watching for 25 years, but more importantly, have lost many more years off of my life watching this football team over those 25 years.

of watching SU Football.

Hard to believe because I'm so damn young!!

I'm not sure I have ever been this excited about the team and the program.

We are long, big and athletic and may finally have a QB that can bring us the dual threat I know I have been hoping for since 1999.

Can't wait to see all of you and 45,000 in two days!
This is number 5-0 in-person season. Perhaps 8 or so before that, following from a distance (radio, newspaper, even a bit of TV).

of watching SU Football.

Hard to believe because I'm so damn young!!

I'm not sure I have ever been this excited about the team and the program.

We are long, big and athletic and may finally have a QB that can bring us the dual threat I know I have been hoping for since 1999.

Can't wait to see all of you and 45,000 in two days!
One year shy of you at 46. I'm jealouse because I just missed Larry Czonka's senior year. The first game of my Freshman season was at Mich St. which was luckily televised on ABC I think. Back in the day, it was a rare occurence to have a game on TV. That year we also had the finale at PSU televised. Both losses - sigh!

I started following SU football in ernie Davis' senior year, (1961). The Liberty Bowl game that eyar was the first SU game I saw on TV. I finally got my Dad to take me to a game in 1964, when we crushed UCLA, 39-0. I've been at, watched on TV or listened on the radio to every game since.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...versity_University-of-Miami_American-football

That same site has a very bad Syracuse memory, (if you are old enough to remember it: I wasn't born until alter that year):
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...all_Syracuse-University_University-of-Alabama

What interests me are the goal posts, which are at the back of the end zone, as they are now. I thought the goal posts were on the goal line until the late 60's.

Was an SU basketball fan since I was little, but really became a big football fan in '94 with Kevin Mason at the helm. Don't know why, just worked out that way.

McNabb years catapulted me into diehard status. Attended first games at the Dome in '98 (Rutgers massacre, Pittsburgh win on Halloween and the finale against Miami (!!!)).

So around 20 years? (YIKES!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom