Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement

The long-term solution was Mullen.

Mac coached SU for 10 years. Not sure what point you're trying to make.
Mullin is lile 60.. He has told many people he doesnt want to coach.. Lets see if thats what happens before we complain about not getting him to come to SU

From his bio on the Georgia site... No mention of recruiting, but IF Brown sees something in him as a recruiter, this could be his guy for the DMV...

Baltimore native. Graduated from Towson in 2016, interned there in strength and conditioning his senior year... Then Maryland, then Temple for two years, then three years at Miami, then a year at Grambling State, then Georgia...

Mullin is lile 60.. He has told many people he doesnt want to coach.. Lets see if thats what happens before we complain about not getting him to come to SU
He’s 51.

Brown will be gone in 3-4 years, either because he was fired or snatched up by another program. If it’s the latter, there might be enough talent left over for another successful season or two. Bottom line, we’ll be here again before you know it.

He’s a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

As are most schools like us.

Who's a realistic long term solution that we could have hired right now? (please don't say Mullen).

He’s 51.
you are right.. i saw a story that said 58.. But still he has said he doesn't want to coach.. Maybe he does, if the right job comes along.

Just calling it like I see it.

Yes. Read the thread.

My perspective is we had an opportunity to put SU football back on the map and preserve our future. Brown might be successful here (and there’s a good chance he will be), but if you care about being in the super league, his successor is more important.
The thread was based on an insane rumor that began as "I heard Dan Mullen was at football practice on Wednesday". And then became 'I was told he was on campus'.

And yet, no one can confirm that they saw Mullen with their own eyes. Everyone is walking around with a supercomputer in their pocket, but no one snapped a quick pic of Mullen while he paraded around campus.

It was all "I heard" and "someone I trust said".

And your perspective is that SU choose to not hire Mullen as head coach, for reasons?

Hey man, that's your right. Believe what you want. Sincerely.

you are right.. i saw a story that said 58.. But still he has said he doesn't want to coach.. Maybe he does, if the right job comes along.
This was that job.

The thread was based on an insane rumor that began as "I heard Dan Mullen was at football practice on Wednesday". And then became 'I was told he was on campus'.

And yet, no one can confirm that they saw Mullen with their own eyes. Everyone is walking around with a supercomputer in their pocket, but no one snapped a quick pic of Mullen while he paraded around campus.

It was all "I heard" and "someone I trust said".

And your perspective is that SU choose to not hire Mullen as head coach, for reasons?

Hey man, that's your right. Believe what you want. Sincerely.
Gaslighting and a strawman, a two-fer!

As are most schools like us.

Who's a realistic long term solution that we could have hired right now? (please don't say Mullen).
Yeah, we got through the worst hire ever ok, college football has regression to the mean, programs are who they are and you might as well take some risk for fun anomalous memories

So I don't think this will work but it's high variance which means there is a chance it goes great for a little while and I'm ok with it.

i don't even care anymore (As Phil Collins once said). If we build a successful football brand outside of that super league we'll still be a team the super league will schedule.

We're going to be a factor in some league in the next 100 years of footballing. It really doesn't matter, to me, if its in the super league or not because we'll still be able to run an operation.

I think the superleague has already happened in reality. We're hiring non coordinator guys as HC and that's fine with me. We can be a feeder of sorts (which is what the ACC leftovers will be). We can play for the Lambert against Pitt/BC/Army and be perfectly content.

Charlie Munger said, “The first rule of a happy life is low expectations. That's one you can easily arrange. And if you have unrealistic expectations, you're going to be miserable all your life."
I'm with you. We should enjoy life in the ACC as long as it exists in its current form. If that changes, whatever. SU will still field teams and I'll follow them.

I mean, I have season tickets for Sacred Heart University hockey. They play in by far the worst league. I don't care, the games are fun and if they ever happen to win the league they'll get in the tourney.

I said this awhile ago but the football strength and conditioning coach should be hired outside the football staff. A good coach is a good coach. What they are doing shouldn't changed much based off of whom the head football coach is.

I know this isn't directly related to Fran Brown, but here is an awesome video by Kirby Smart discussing how Georgia altered their defense to stop the run. He's got some great stats on how almost all past national champs were top 10 in run defense, and makes the argument that in order to defend the pass you need to stop the run game first. I'd imagine Fran is going to bring a lot of these same concepts.

Does that mean that we abandon the 3-3-5? I don't know the answer to that, but I'm going to say most likely. So we'll have to pound the portal for some d lineman that we think can start for us.

Either way I thought this video was pretty awesome and a great look at how complicated defenses are and how complicated the reads by the defense ends are in today's college football game.

Brown went to and played at my alma mater, Hudson Valley Community College. He's also only two years younger than me but we weren't there at the same time.
Fran Brown played at Hudson Valley? Idk that. Man his story is even better if he came up through the JuCo ranks

Yeah, we got through the worst hire ever ok, college football has regression to the mean, programs are who they are and you might as well take some risk for fun anomalous memories

So I don't think this will work but it's high variance which means there is a chance it goes great for a little while and I'm ok with it.

Goes well, you learn from it and follow it up with someone similar.

Goes poorly, you learn from it and follow up with someone different.

Everything stays at a 7-8 regular season win level (2025's schedule is a bad outlier though) and we don't vomit all over ourselves 4 straight weeks on national TV, you ride it out as long as you want.

I know this isn't directly related to Fran Brown, but here is an awesome video by Kirby Smart discussing how Georgia altered their defense to stop the run. He's got some great stats on how almost all past national champs were top 10 in run defense, and makes the argument that in order to defend the pass you need to stop the run game first. I'd imagine Fran is going to bring a lot of these same concepts.

Does that mean that we abandon the 3-3-5? I don't know the answer to that, but I'm going to say most likely. So we'll have to pound the portal for some d lineman that we think can start for us.

Either way I thought this video was pretty awesome and a great look at how complicated defenses are and how complicated the reads by the defense ends are in today's college football game.

I wouldn't mind moving back to a more traditional defense, maybe the 3-4?

We're going to be a factor in some league in the next 100 years of footballing. It really doesn't matter, to me, if its in the super league or not because we'll still be able to run an operation.

I'm not so sure about that. ACC TV$ will be gone. Teams not in the league could be like FCS teams, scheduling a pay day with the Big guys. If we make $40M, and lose $25M and TV exposure? Will it be worth it?

I'm hoping we get some form of seat at table. I dont care if its the Kiddie table.