Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement

You may be right, but I think Brown can convince him to come. We’ll see.
Sometimes blood is thicker than water if the dollars could remain somewhat similar.. I know what I would do if it were one of my buddies I grew up with who was at A&M. Rumor the change and either you get a big raise at A&M or you come to Cuse for a promotion and a similar salary and try to build something special. And let’s face it if ER comes in here and does a good job as a DC he’s will be a HC in no time. It’s a win win really. Those dumb bastards at A&M will just keep paying anyway, why not take advantage. Two boys from Camden gotta it figured out

Sometimes blood is thicker than water if the dollars could remain somewhat similar.. I know what I would do if it were one of my buddies I grew up with who was at A&M. Rumor the change and either you get a big raise at A&M or you come to Cuse for a promotion and a similar salary and try to build something special. And let’s face it if ER comes in here and does a good job as a DC he’s will be a HC in no time. It’s a win win really. Those dumb bastards at A&M will just keep paying anyway, why not take advantage. Two boys from Camden gotta it figured out
All good points. Besides the ATM money I just think he has his own head coaching aspirations. Being a Co-DC for a top 10 defense in the SEC is a good pathway to that. But maybe he wants to coach for his boy.

All good points. Besides the ATM money I just think he has his own head coaching aspirations. Being a Co-DC for a top 10 defense in the SEC is a good pathway to that. But maybe he wants to coach for his boy.
He’s in the drivers seat for sure but Elko may not want to turn the keys over to the defense but who knows and like I said blood is thicker than water but if the $ is too good well then you stay and A&M a is a joke when it comes to how badly they want to win. I mean have some self respect really. It’s just stupid at this point. I will say this though A&M is just strange too, creepy really with all the dumb stuff they do. the money better be good to put up with that stuff

Last edited:
It's not like I have a choice but i’m all in!! This is going to be an absolute train wreck or an absolute home run. I'm definitely starting to lead more towards the latter. I was originally all in on Chesney, and then to the moon and back with Mullen, and then some what hesitantly back to Chesney with a bit of idgaf thrown in. I was well aware who Fran Brown was prior but to see such endorsements from guys like Kirby Smart, and the lessons he learned at Georgia, there isn't a lot of other people with that pedigree. The other part I like is this won't be another 3-4 year rebuild where if we went with Chesney I know a lot of our top returners would portal and it would be much harder for him to bring in talent. At least with Brown, I think we keep a lot of our top players, and get to bringing in higher talent level kids that we are used to seeing. The coordinator hired will be crucial. Plus we will finally find out if it is still possible to recruit to Syracuse football. The initial response from recruits was hopeful, now let's see if we can get them here.

All aboard the Fran train. Let's go
When you say we’ll keep our top players you’ll be happy to know you’re already as right as rain!

I think there are a lot more things going against us now.
No doubt, but hopefully over time some of those challenges are overcome. Winning cures all ails.

And yes, I view the world thru orange colored glasses.

When you say we’ll keep our top players you’ll be happy to know you’re already as right as rain!
Jon Stewart.gif

Players will miss Fran Brown​

Georgia safety Javon Bullard was effusive with his praise of secondary coach Fran Brown, who was named the head coach at Syracuse on Tuesday.
Bullard said the Orangemen are getting a good one.
“They’re getting a tremendous coach, but more so a tremendous person,” Bullard said. “But what makes Coach Fran special is his relationship with us off the field and outside football.”
It’s those personal moments that Bullard says he’ll remember the most about Brown.
“He’s been there with me through spiritual advice and emotional advice. When I need to talk to my family, or I’m missing my home, he’s always there,” Bullard said. "If my car breaks down, I know I can call Coach Fran. He’s like that to the core; that’s what Syracuse is getting. We’re so proud of him, man.”
I love Southern writers because they still call us the Orangemen :)

Love DA, but disagree on his definition of Cuse's 'ceiling'. Cuse was a top 15 program in the late 80's and 90's. That can be their ceiling IMHO, not just "occasionally competing for a conference championship".
The college football landscape has changed dramatically since the late 80’s.

Love DA, but disagree on his definition of Cuse's 'ceiling'. Cuse was a top 15 program in the late 80's and 90's. That can be their ceiling IMHO, not just "occasionally competing for a conference championship".
Especially since we were ranked in the top 15 just last season (albeit in October).

In your previous post, you jumped to how/why JW botched things with Mullen. So yeah, I would call that a misrepresentation. But you’re back on topic now.

As I’ve said previously in this thread and as others have said previously in this thread, Mullen’s representative reached out to JW. On Friday/Saturday, reliable sources said it was a done deal.

If you want to suggest those sources made it up or were misled for some reason, more power to you. If you want to believe it was a coincidence that over half the team started following Mullen last week, more power to you. If you want to ignore the fact that Mullen didn’t deny anything until he replied to a random tweet late Sunday night, despite numerous opportunities earlier in the week, both on-air and off, more power to you.

I don’t know how/why it fell apart. That’s a good question. In all likelihood, we’ll never know. That doesn’t mean Mullen wasn’t under consideration.

There’s nothing else to say. In your own words, believe whatever you want.
You’re in the wrong thread.

Thoughts?
The music is extremely inappropriate and so high compared to the speaker that it hard to concentrate on what Damon is saying.

Nice use of effects. Probably not appropriate here but it looks like someone got some video editing software and decided to explore full capabilities. No big deal.

I think overall Damon is right. The way for Syracuse to contend for higher level bowls and a spot in the top 25 is to identify and hire a top young coach, let him do this thing until he gets snapped up by a top level team and find and hire another one.

There might be exceptions but this is not a good job for an older coach.

He probably should have mentioned that we have gone to a bowl two years in a row but Cincinnati is a good example of the model we want to emulate.

You’re in the wrong thread.
Agree. Day2, you can't derail every thread on the board with your obsession with Mullen.

It is over. Please move on. If you feel compelled to comment on it further, do it in the Mullen thread only.

Don't mean to pick on Day2 only. Others are doing it too.

Please comment on Mullen in the Mullen thread only. There are a lot of things to talk about with Syracuse football other than this topic.

One, he is saying we will not be a perennial national title contender. Two, the landscape has changed drastically since the 90s. BTW we only had three Top 15 regular season finishes over a 12 year span, and four times we finished unranked. We had only two 12 team playoff type seasons. That is not even close to being tier 1.

I received an email today from Orange United and the goal is to raise $500,000 in the next 50 days. That’s by someone matching the first $250,000. That says everything. That will not even get a sniff of a really good quarterback. I will make a donation, but that tells us how we are not even close to competing in the NIL world.

Thoughts?
I always have to remind some of the casual SU fans who think SU should be what they were in the late 80's and 90's. The same time I started watching them as well. Unless you find a Doug Marrone type that can possibly get you 8-10 wins most years this is the model you need to use. Hopefully Fran pans out and we get the next up and comer.

Preach brother. Preach. I hope when he is done playing the powers that be find a role for him in Syracuse. For example, JW should have asked Zaire to be on the coaching search committee!!! FWIW, Zaire has a different opinion about coaches using Syracuse as a stepping stone.

Last edited:
The journey to respectability starts with a single step. From there, it's one step at a time.

Let's not worry about 3-4 years down the road. Do something today to make tomorrow better.

• Put together a quality staff.

• Build a quality roster.

• Develop a team that improves every week and is better in November than it was in September.

Go Orange!
I’m thinking Fran will also help give our program a much needed identity.