Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement

The long-term solution was Mullen.

Mac coached SU for 10 years. Not sure what point you're trying to make.
Mullen is your long term solution? A guy who isn’t interested in coaching right now? Good one.
And the point I was trying to make is that SU made a pretty decent change of command when Mac left. I don’t care how long it took, but he left for greener pastures and we somehow kept the straight and narrow. Could Brown do better, quicker….absolutely but nobody knows for sure….except maybe you.

OK...

Who has the inside juice on who was officially interviewed??
E20ukeVX0AIYXaF.jpg

Put me down as 'curious'. If he succeeds does he then leave us in a sustainably better level? If he fails, are we hopeless?

Mullen is your long term solution? A guy who isn’t interested in coaching right now? Good one.
And the point I was trying to make is that SU made a pretty decent change of command when Mac left. I don’t care how long it took, but he left for greener pastures and we somehow kept the straight and narrow. Could Brown do better, quicker….absolutely but nobody knows for sure….except maybe you.
My #1 was Mullen by a wide margin but if he doesn't want to coach then there's not much you can do with that.

If he turns around the SU program in four years and is offered and accepts an SEC head coaching job, I have no problem with that. Just like when Dino was going to turn around the SU program and then leave for USC. If he brings SU back to a place where the program is nationally relevant again, it’s a success.
I have no problems with being a stepping stone program. It means we were successful. Look what Boise St. did for years, turn over coaches and win with each one. Our failure was Shafer after Marrone made us respectable and competitive.

Maybe Fran calls Jeff Nixon from his Baylor days to see if he wants to get back into college as an OC…..

I feel Sam Elliott and bourbon will now be around forever on Syracusefan.com and will be a rallying point. I don't think flight trackers have legs though.

Brown will be gone in 3-4 years, either because he was fired or snatched up by another program. If it’s the latter, there might be enough talent left over for another successful season or two. Bottom line, we’ll be here again before you know it.

He’s a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

The journey to respectability starts with a single step. From there, it's one step at a time.

Let's not worry about 3-4 years down the road. Do something today to make tomorrow better.

• Put together a quality staff.

• Build a quality roster.

• Develop a team that improves every week and is better in November than it was in September.

Go Orange!

Last edited:
I feel Sam Elliott and bourbon will now be around forever on Syracusefan.com and will be a rallying point. I don't think flight trackers have legs though.
Who would win in a fight??

Sam Elliott or John Syracuse?