Frank Howard | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard

Orangezoo

In the wind
This is by no means a prediction but I think we could be a lot better than expected this year (currently expected at bottom 3rd of acc 17-14 overall etc) and that Frank is the key to that.

For anyone who has managed people, especially talented people, you know that when they struggle or become a problem it presents a major conundrum. You need them and dumping your losses and starting anew is no easy way to go. I really like the approach JB is taking here even if there comes a lot of risk with it. Sending Frank with Tyus to media day is giving him a leadership responsibility and doing so publicly. Sometimes this is what is needed for getting what you need out of a talented young person and others of course it could be poisonous.

Based on Frank's improved shot form, his positive reaction per media day pics and videos and his consistent interactions with all team mates on social media, I am really optimistic this move will pay off. On the court, a productive and mature Frank could change the whole trajectory of the season. We know we have talent both returning and in the frosh alongside a lack of frontcourt depth. If Frank can come in and be a solid 12/6 kind of PG and occasional high scorer we could be so much better than it stands on paper.

I once again think this is a great move by JB to flip a negative to something positive via giving the kid responsibility and opportunity. Obviously it could go.. very very wrong but a hunch tells me it won't based on the signs so far. Excited to see what this new look group can do. LGO!

This is by no means a prediction but I think we could be a lot better than expected this year (currently expected at bottom 3rd of acc 17-14 overall etc) and that Frank is the key to that.

For anyone who has managed people, especially talented people, you know that when they struggle or become a problem it presents a major conundrum. You need them and dumping your losses and starting anew is no easy way to go. I really like the approach JB is taking here even if there comes a lot of risk with it. Sending Frank with Tyus to media day is giving him a leadership responsibility and doing so publicly. Sometimes this is what is needed for getting what you need out of a talented young person and others of course it could be poisonous.

Based on Frank's improved shot form, his positive reaction per media day pics and videos and his consistent interactions with all team mates on social media, I am really optimistic this move will pay off. On the court, a productive and mature Frank could change the whole trajectory of the season. We know we have talent both returning and in the frosh alongside a lack of frontcourt depth. If Frank can come in and be a solid 12/6 kind of PG and occasional high scorer we could be so much better than it stands on paper.

I once again think this is a great move by JB to flip a negative to something positive via giving the kid responsibility and opportunity. Obviously it could go.. very very wrong but a hunch tells me it won't based on the signs so far. Excited to see what this new look group can do. LGO!
I reallly like your post and hope you are right! Everyone deserves a second chance. He is human and desires the acclaim that can come from being a leader and doing the right things. Not only is this a principled thing for Boeheim to do, it is the smart thing.

It would be great if Frank turns things around.

However, it remains to be seen if he is even the best Howard on the roster.

With Thorpe & Battle in the back court, we can be successful regardless.

It would be great if Frank turns things around.

However, it remains to be seen if he is even the best Howard on the roster.

With Thorpe & Battle in the back court, we can be successful regardless.

I hear you but in terms of Howard W. , I think the revelation has been that he is good enough to contribute more than be the guy who pushes Frank to the bench. As he is more a facilitator with a good shot, and he is not the kind of guy to blow by his man yet I see him as quality depth. If he has to be getting big minutes at Frank's expense, I would say we are back to 17-14 territory and Frank being the old Frank.

Frank obviously has had some problems and I sometines wonder if part of that was due to JB's short string on him. I have also seen some positive things from Frank.

I want this kid to succeed and hopefully he will be a good contributor this season.

I hear you but in terms of Howard W. , I think the revelation has been that he is good enough to contribute more than be the guy who pushes Frank to the bench. As he is more a facilitator with a good shot, and he is not the kind of guy to blow by his man yet I see him as quality depth. If he has to be getting big minutes at Frank's expense, I would say we are back to 17-14 territory and Frank being the old Frank.

I think Frank is the one who put himself on the bench. Now he has to be the one to get himself into the games. IMHO, he is now at the point in his career where everything has to be earned and nothing more should be given to him. Personally, I am very comfortable with a back court rotation of TB, GT, and HW. I view anything we get from FH as gravy.

I agree that Frank has the potential to win us a few extra games if he plays well, but there are so many questions surrounding this roster that I think we have to assume we are in 17-14 territory until the team as a whole proves otherwise.

Can someone please post the dead horse picture?

There is little if anything that can be said about Frank and/or his place on the team that hasn't already been written many different ways. Let's let it play out and see what we have.

I think Frank is the one who put himself on the bench. Now he has to be the one to get himself into the games. IMHO, he is now at the point in his career where everything has to be earned and nothing more should be given to him. Personally, I am very comfortable with a back court rotation of TB, GT, and HW. I view anything we get from FH as gravy.

I agree that Frank has the potential to win us a few extra games if he plays well, but there are so many questions surrounding this roster that I think we have to assume we are in 17-14 territory until the team as a whole proves otherwise.

Just want to get this straight. In your scenario, Howard has to earn time despite flashes of quality over his first two years, but Washington should get time based on...nothing?

How do we know Frank is even that good? Outside of some good games against some cupcakes last year and this amazing "vision" he had his freshman year that I never really saw, what can we really expect from him?

He's had two years in the system so there's that and he's kinda tall for a guard, outside of that, what in his game sparks difference maker?

He's a third guard, he's always been a third guard and will probably be nothing more than a third guard. I know we want him to be more and think because of his height that he could be the next MCW, but his talent just isn't at that level. He is who he is. Expectations were way too high for a sophomore who barely played his freshman year and was the rated 94th overall recruit.

If Frank and JB had a "great" talk after last season, and being dubbed a leadership role on this year's team, one would think Frank, an upper classman, will have a longer leash on the court too. Combine more PT with a leadership responsibility etched in his mind, more emotional maturity to take what JB says constructively, and knowing that he will be less likely to not get yanked for every missed shot or turnover should do wonders to his confidence and make him that much better of a player and leader on the court. Yes he will make mistakes (he's human) but it's his time, he must blossom this year. His team needs him to.

How do we know Frank is even that good? Outside of some good games against some cupcakes last year and this amazing "vision" he had his freshman year that I never really saw, what can we really expect from him?

He's had two years in the system so there's that and he's kinda tall for a guard, outside of that, what in his game sparks difference maker?

He's a third guard, he's always been a third guard and will probably be nothing more than a third guard. I know we want him to be more and think because of his height that he could be the next MCW, but his talent just isn't at that level. He is who he is. Expectations were way too high for a sophomore who barely played his freshman year and was the rated 94th overall recruit.

Right now I am only basing this on optimism and a kid, in his third year finally getting it mentally and physically. His frosh year we saw flashes of his vision and ability as a passer, last year early on it was his shooting. Both years his head was his bigger enemy.

My comment this was a gamble that I am basically looking at as having positive odds sums it up for me. JB playing this card is tricky but I think it is worth the risk given either we are a 17 win team as it doesn't pay off or we get a nice surprise , Frank puts it together and we win 21-22 games and we are a tourney team.

Just want to get this straight. In your scenario, Howard has to earn time despite flashes of quality over his first two years, but Washington should get time based on...nothing?

Frank has been a detriment to the team the last two seasons and I am talking about much more than his play. In terms of his play he has only played well against cupcakes so far in his career, so I have not seen much of those quality flashes you allude to when it really counts.

HW appears to be a kid with a fantastic attitude.

If the two play similarly I am going with HW due to attitude and more future time on the roster for improvement.

So, yes, to answer your question, Frank has to earn his minutes by being significantly better than HW and/or GT. Approximately equal isn't good enough in my mind. Also, I would not tolerate any more shenanigans from Frank, he simply isn't good enough to be worth any more baggage.

And please don't take this post the wrong way. I would like to see Frank turn it around as much as any other poster here, though perhaps, I am just a bit more skeptical than most.

Last edited:
Right now I am only basing this on optimism and a kid, in his third year finally getting it mentally and physically. His frosh year we saw flashes of his vision and ability as a passer, last year early on it was his shooting. Both years his head was his bigger enemy.

My comment this was a gamble that I am basically looking at as having positive odds sums it up for me. JB playing this card is tricky but I think it is worth the risk given either we are a 17 win team as it doesn't pay off or we get a nice surprise , Frank puts it together and we win 21-22 games and we are a tourney team.

I think quality opponents is his biggest enemy.

I think quality opponents is his biggest enemy.

Maybe.. it was his play against quality opponents in his freshman year that raised eyebrows on his potential though. He struggles to maintain focus and composure when things aren't going well. To me that is internal even if that happens more vs certain opponents.

Also last year was a mess all around. Frank wasn't the only example of things going wrong. Not by any means an excuse but there was a lot of chaos and poor play to go around.

There is little if anything that can be said about Frank and/or his place on the team that hasn't already been written many different ways. Let's let it play out and see what we have.

I promise I will, in 2 or 3 more pages...

This is a great point. Let's also remember that Frank has been playing in this defense for two years. He has a rapport up there with Battle. It will take some time before Washington is there. And JB values defense more than offense.

But ... but ... but this is a discussion board! ;)

Frank has been a detriment to the team the last two seasons and I am talking about much more than his play. In terms of his play he has only played well against cupcakes so far in his career, so I have not seen much of those quality flashes you allude to when it really counts.

HW appears to be a kid with a fantastic attitude.

If the two play similarly I am going with HW due to attitude and more future time on the roster for improvement.

So, yes, to answer your question, Frank has to earn his minutes by being significantly better than HW and/or GT. Approximately equal isn't good enough in my mind. Also, I would not tolerate any more shenanigans from Frank, he simply isn't good enough to be worth any more baggage.

In one of the many other FH-related threads, I've made a very clear point - Howard's advanced defensive stats (in conference) are right up there with recent guard play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom