"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12" | Syracusefan.com

"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12"

sufan

Scout Team
"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12" (link not working) (Go to Warchant homepage: football)

At Florida State Warchant based on exclusive interview.

"How do you not look into that option," asked Haggard. "On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."

"With the SEC making the kind of money it does it's time to act," said Haggard. "You can't sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn't 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in."

"Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."

"Haggard concluded that he will be speaking with FSU president Eric Barron and Athletic Director Randy Spetman about the best way to proceed in exploring options outside of the ACC."

Interesting detail -

“It’s mind-boggling and shocking,” said Haggard. “How can the ACC give up third tier rights for football but keep them for basketball? …"

Yeah, if Im FSU, I would be pi$$ed, too. FSU's 3rd tier media rights for football are the most valuable in the ACC...and they have to share that money. Meanwhile, UNC/Duke/SU have probably the most valuable 3rd tier media rights for bball and those arent shared with FSU.

Looks like we just went from a bball-centric conference to...a bball centric conference. Oh well. I'd still rather be in the ACC sans FSU than the Big East.

Interesting detail -

“It’s mind-boggling and shocking,” said Haggard. “How can the ACC give up third tier rights for football but keep them for basketball? …"

The term Providence Mafia can now be replaced with Carolina Mafia on this message board! The Carolina schools RUN the ACC, always have and always will. It's a basketball conference and football is a secondary sport to them that is only played when basketball season isn't going on. No matter how big football is and how much more money it brings in than basketball, they flat out don't care. Basketball is priority #1, 2, and 3 to them.

It looks as if FSU has finally had enough and is looking to move on. Can't blame them and I understand it from their point of view.

of course FSU can go to the Big 12...go get a new conference s...and after Oklahoma, Texas and others beat your ass in football you aren't coming back...fact is 3rd tier rights in Florida, a state with the oldest demographics in the USA do not give a damn about FSU football aside from its alums...think thats worth $5million in 3rd tier rights?

"FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door to Big 12" (link not working) (Go to Warchant homepage: football)

At Florida State ********** Warchant based on exclusive interview.

"How do you not look into that option," asked Haggard. "On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."

"With the SEC making the kind of money it does it's time to act," said Haggard. "You can't sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn't 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in."

"Haggard concluded that he will be speaking with FSU president Eric Barron and Athletic Director Randy Spetman about the best way to proceed in exploring options outside of the ACC."

---------------------

The current extremely long term ACC contract was signed at an extremely poor time, economy wise.

Additionally FSU and Miami were down for the last number of years.

FSU can blame itself for keeping Bowden on as coach to preside over the downfall of the football program.

Clemson who also prides itself as a "football school" won the ACC title once in the last 20 years, even with FSU and Miami down, and then of course lost to WVU in a blowout that made WVU look like some kind of powerhouse; meanwhile WVU lost to SU 49-23 on Oct 21, lost by 3 points to UL on Nov 5, and won its last 3 games against Cin, Pitt and USF by a grand total of 7 points: almost the definition of parity.

The renegotiation was not an open market renegotiation, and despite the significant increase, the ACC continues to be well behind the other 4 conferences and the contract was further extended for several additional years.

Wait till the SEC contract is announced.

In some ways, the timing of this extremely long term ACC contract may prove as damaging to the conference as the timing of the Big East contract signed in 2003 after Miami, VT and BC left.

of course FSU can go to the Big 12...go get a new conference s...and after Oklahoma, Texas and others beat your ass in football you aren't coming back...fact is 3rd tier rights in Florida, a state with the oldest demographics in the USA do not give a damn about FSU football aside from its alums...think thats worth $5million in 3rd tier rights?

You surely have some research to back this up.

You surely have some research to back this up.
several written documents have been done on this. Interestingly, Texas network has not been profitable as yet. Where will FSU get 18 hr content to place on a cable station--most cable networks have not taken the Texas network yet...I think we should hold on and maybe ESPN will do something to help the ACC here. Of course it is a big deal in the mind of FSU...do you think it is easy to build and maintain and run a tier 3 network...Big 10 has one for all teams...the Big 12 has given approval for single universities (TX only one) so yes, FSU may be pissed...so what? They leave and another team comes in. Way of the world right now.

What, is FSU blaming it's inability to win big on the field over the past 10 years, leading to low ratings and crowds in football, on the ACC? I guess their huge academic scandal, which tarnished the school's name, was the ACC's fault too, huh?

What a bunch of friggin whiners they are. I hope they go to the Big 12 and get their asses kicked every year by Texas and Oklahoma. The Semen-oles can be Texas' biotches for life. Are the third tier rights worth that much? FSU will suck more in the Big 12 than they do in the ACC.

Let's look at this on the bright side. A move by FSU and Clemson, if Clemson were to join them, would almost certainly close the Big 12 door on Louisville. The ACC turns around and offers Louisville and UConn, which kills the BE and locks up the East Coast. They then turn around and deliver the final ultimatum to ND...either you come now, with a school of your choice, or we are going to 16 and locking the door forever. Expanding to 16 with 4 new teams, especially if one is ND, would almost certainly open the door for renegotiating contracts and getting close to $24 million per school. And a conference with BBall like that could rake in millions on third tier rights.

Screw FSU. Let em go. I don't think anyone in Miami or NC is crying. FSU can have fun as third or fourth fiddle in the Big 12, and never smelling a national title chance again.

EDIT: I do think it was a lousy, underhanded move for the ACC to give up third tier rights to football when they kept basketball. However, we don't know what happened. ESPN may have had Swofford over a chair? I won't cry about it because the deal works great for SU, but it does suck for FSU. That said, let em leave. They might make more money in the Big 12, but they won't make their lives on the field any easier.

How many Tier 3 games does FSU have per year? Maybe 1 or 2 against some 1-AAs or a FAU/FIU type of team? NFW those are worth anything.

FSU really fits the profile of a Big 12 better than an ACC school. Not that I want to lose them, but this guy who purports to be the Chairman of the FSU Board sounds more like an NFL owner than the head trustee of an institution of higher learning. Nothing wrong with that in the SEC or Big 12 but I wouldn't expect to hear talk like that -- at least before too deep into the cocktail hour -- in the ACC, B1G or PAC.

What, is FSU blaming it's inability to win big on the field over the past 10 years, leading to low ratings and crowds in football, on the ACC? I guess their huge academic scandal, which tarnished the school's name, was the ACC's fault too, huh?

What a bunch of friggin whiners they are. I hope they go to the Big 12 and get their asses kicked every year by Texas and Oklahoma. The Semen-oles can be Texas' biotches for life. Are the third tier rights worth that much? FSU will suck more in the Big 12 than they do in the ACC.

Let's look at this on the bright side. A move by FSU and Clemson, if Clemson were to join them, would almost certainly close the Big 12 door on Louisville. The ACC turns around and offers Louisville and UConn, which kills the BE and locks up the East Coast. They then turn around and deliver the final ultimatum to ND...either you come now, with a school of your choice, or we are going to 16 and locking the door forever. Expanding to 16 with 4 new teams, especially if one is ND, would almost certainly open the door for renegotiating contracts and getting close to $24 million per school. And a conference with BBall like that could rake in millions on third tier rights.

Screw FSU. Let em go. I don't think anyone in Miami or NC is crying. FSU can have fun as third or fourth fiddle in the Big 12, and never smelling a national title chance again.

I think Syracuse fans should know as well as anyone that programs have down years that shouldn't define the program. So FSU has to run the table every year to make as much money as Vandy, Iowa State, Northwestern and Arizona? Why do they get held to this standard? I mean they do have the longest active bowl streak in the country. Not like they completely fell off the map. I like the ACC, but is it so crazy for FSU to be pissed off over ACC leadership dealing away football tier 3 rights (the ones where fsu can turn a sizeable profit) but keeping basketball tier 3's (where Carolina and Duke can turn profits and not share them)?

That's exactly what Tommy Amaker is saying to Drew Faust. The Big East would be awesome for the Crimson. Who needs Princeton or Yale when one can have Rutgers or UConn?

I think Syracuse fans should know as well as anyone that programs have down years that shouldn't define the program. So FSU has to run the table every year to make as much money as Vandy, Iowa State, Northwestern and Arizona? Why do they get held to this standard? I mean they do have the longest active bowl streak in the country. Not like they completely fell off the map. I like the ACC, but is it so crazy for FSU to be pissed off over ACC leadership dealing away football tier 3 rights (the ones where fsu can turn a sizeable profit) but keeping basketball tier 3's (where Carolina and Duke can turn profits and not share them)?

Is anyone making money of T3? Texas certainly isn't. For all the hype I hear the LHN isn't doing well.

The FSU BOT thinks they can make millions off a game against an FCS team and a handful of bball games against Colgate-caliber opponents? Good luck with that.

I wonder how much money FSU is making from coaches shows, advertising, and radio. Because those aren't covered in the ESPN contract and so come in addition to the 17M from that deal.

But hey go to the Big 12. Trade in the Carolina schools for Texas. Enjoy your 800 mile road games.

As long as the ACC doesn't add UConn or Rutgers I could careless what happens in conference expansion. If FSU did go to the Big XII then I would rather the ACC go after USF than either of the Northeast schools. I just want this crap over with and it won't now that the Pac-12 and Big 12 have long-term contracts. If the Big 12 would just take BYU and Louisville all of this garbage would go away or if Notre Dame would just declare their long term plans. However, Clemson and Florida State need to just make their decision 5 million more a year with more expenses is not lot like 10 million.

No, they should be mad. Mad as hell. But does anyone know what happened in those negotiations? Does anyone know what games ESPN played? Maybe Swofford was backed into a corner?

And a down period for SU is no where near the same as a down year for FSU. A down period for FSU should be like 2 seasons long. It's a decade or more for SU. FSU has no one to blame for their decreased revenues other than themselves. They picked a terrible economy to start losing in. And what happened to their alumni donations? Don't they know how to balance their books? A agree that the deal sucks for FSU, but they can't blame their $$$ situation on Swofford.

---------------------------

Dan Wetzel@DanWetzel on twitter
Big 12 source on whether league would be interested in Florida State. "I can't imagine how we wouldn't be interested in Florida State."

Maybe if FSU could find a way to not lose to Wake Forest the point would be moot.

Is anyone making money of T3? Texas certainly isn't. For all the hype I hear the LHN isn't doing well.

The FSU BOT thinks they can make millions off a game against an FCS team and a handful of bball games against Colgate-caliber opponents? Good luck with that.

I wonder how much money FSU is making from coaches shows, advertising, and radio. Because those aren't covered in the ESPN contract and so come in addition to the 17M from that deal.

But hey go to the Big 12. Trade in the Carolina schools for Texas. Enjoy your 800 mile road games.

Hey man. I'm not exactly happy about this. My two favorite schools are finally in the same conference and that is apparently in danger. I've also been a lifelong ACC fan. However, I do see where FSU is coming from. And yes, there is money to be made off of the t3 rights. Most FSU fans watch EVERY fsu game. I'm not sure I understand the hostility and the travel would be a bit of a bitch, you're right. Hopefully if it happens Clemson or someone closer comes along.

Maybe if FSU could find a way to not lose to Wake Forest the point would be moot.

Maybe. Are you saying FSU needs to go back to the Dynasty years for the ACC to get a competitive contract? If so, they should definitely leave. No one should have to carry that burden.

Not hostile. Just see a Big12 move as a short sighted decsion.

I know that FSU fans are rabid as hell but how many football games fall to T3? One or two? How much money is that? Does that validate a move?