FSU Tailgate Trip Report | Syracusefan.com

FSU Tailgate Trip Report

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
The Fine Mess had a small tailgate on Saturday but actually it was kinda refreshing to do an easy one.

The Tucker Civic Center parking lot is a "no brainer" to go there again in '17. I arrived about 0740 for the Noon kick. You have to enter on the north side (Pensacola). The lot was open and I paid my $10. He asked if I had a canopy to put up and seeing the empty lot with grassy strips free I said no. I figured he wanted another $10...might be in play if we have a night kickoff in the future to get a spot for a canopy. I asked when the lot opened and he said Friday night for the RVs (that is nice to know). There were about 12-14 RVs there when I arrived. About 5 -10 more arrived after I arrived. There was maybe 5-7 cars already there when I drove in. I parked down at the SW corner as I had my pick of anywhere. The nice thing is there are permanent parking spots so you don't have parking nazis telling you where to park. Our SW parking lot spot was actually not a bad spot but kinda hidden behind the RVs that congregate down there. The north side was the busier area.

It was cloudy and refreshingly cool at around 58-60 degrees to start so we never did set up a canopy. Only three porta-potties were seen at the huge lot. They were located up by the north side of the Civic Center. It was about a 300 yard walk from our tailgate location. You could catch a shuttle there. So this location is perfect for our tailgates as you can either walk or take a $5 shuttle to the stadium. The stadium was 7/8ths of a mile to our west...it was a straight shot. Very hard to get lost. When you leave the stadium just look for the 20 story State Capital building and head that way.

The tailgate menu was simple: Coneys, donuts, cookies, sausage ballz...and AirForce Orange's wife made Apple Pie Moonshine...taste similar to apple cider but made with everclear and Capt Morgan...and delivers a kick. We had a very small turnout...I'd say 20-25 at the most at any one time. The FSU fans were really subdued and not welcoming at all. They left us alone but no interaction despite my invites. Reminded me of NCSt in '13. Once again thanks to Tara and Brooke for the assist.

This location is ideal for out of town fans. Those that like walking before the game you have an easy mile walk down either St. Augustine or Pensacola Avenues. It was down through the Greek Area...let's just say the architecture of most frat/sorority houses was early 70s blah...most were kinda dumpy. Walking in and out was easy...our seats were on the East (sunny side of course) so it was a quick exit after the sh!tshow. Real key to be able to walk out and beat the traffic. I only waited maybe 5 mins in traffic total as I left heading back to the Tampa Bay area.

It was Parent's weekend and the crowd is always a bit more eclectic. Lots of 'rents walking with their kids with us to the stadium. I only saw 2 scalpers and they were losing money. I had 2 tix to sell for a fan who couldn't go and I couldn't even get anyone to buy them for $10.

The stadium was basic erector set but very large and upgraded with a brick facade. Entering was pretty efficient...no wanding...just bag checks. It was one huge enclosed stadium...went 86 rows high. We sat in Row 79 just past the end zone. Sightlines were good though. The video board and sound were good. We walked up a long ramp to get to our seats...pretty efficient. The seating was really uncomfortable. Hard to do...but these aluminum bench seats were even more uncomfortable than the Dome. Bring a cushion next time. We sat on the sunny east side and baked...but not as bad as USF. It was probably 75 when we entered the stadium but the clouds quickly broke at kickoff and the temp rose into the low/mid 80s. Passing clouds and some occasional breezes did bring some relief. Late arriving crowd...maybe 55k at kickoff...it did fill to probably 75k eventually. Lots of folks left early though due to the blowout and parents weekend...Parents Weekend is like that everywhere I suspect in the ACC. We had a sorority sit in front of us...they spent the whole game taking selfies...sigh...

I didn't try the concessions but no beer was being sold. The food looked kinda blah. The bathrooms were small and cramped...no stainless steel beauties to speed things up.

As for the game...well we led 7-0 at one time and our time out calls looked as dumb 79 rows up as it did for you guys on the TV. That is all I have...

Last edited:
Forgot to add...with Parents weekend..rooms were going for $150 to $600 a night. I stayed in Perry (50 miles SE) on Friday night (SarasotaPaul also stayed there) and we both paid around $60.

Wanna plug this restaurant in Yankeetown, FL. The food was above average but it was a real interesting location. The town looked like a throwback to Florida in the 50's I imagine. It is the perfect spot to stop at driving up from Tampa and points South/east. BTW, SarasotaPaul and I ran into a CNY transplant there (from Homer).

http://www.izaakwaltonlodge.com/

38060023.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to add...with Parents weekend..rooms were going for $150 to $600 a night. I stayed in Perry on Friday night (SarasotaPaul also stayed there) and we both paid around $60.

Wanna plug this restaurant in Yankeetown, FL. The food was above average but it was a real interesting location. The town looked like a throwback to Florida in the 50's I imagine. It is the perfect spot to stop at driving up from Tampa and points South/east.

http://www.izaakwaltonlodge.com/
Need to put that on your site.

Not s stadium for northacuse.

The bathrooms were small and cramped...no stainless steel beauties to speed things up...

Ahem! Absolutely correct! The sound of a urine stream bouncing off stainless steel is music to my ears. Can't do that with porcelain.
(Gotta find some source of humor after this game.Oh Lord)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom