Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 170 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Look at the west end of the Dome!
Yup.

It looks like Watson Hall is also planned for
replacement with a large modern looking building with mostly glass walls. Looks kind of like the Veterans Center. You can get a good look at it looking from the north a little earlier in the linked pdf.

Also note the parking lots west of the dome have been converted into playing fields. Which would be a really impressive achievement given the slope of that hill. To make that happen will require moving a ton of dirt.

Note also the just announced dorm on the west side of Ostrom.

I assume the plan to for most everyone to park on South Campus, and take buses to the dome. Or maybe we can fly in on drones? ;)

Last edited:
Yup.

replacement with a large modern looking building with mostly glass walls. Looks kind of like the Veterans Center. You can get a good look at it looking from the north a little earlier in the linked pdf.

Also note the parking lots west of the dome have been converted into playing fields. Which would be a really impressive achievement given the slope of that hill. To make that happen will require moving a ton of dirt.

I assume the plan to for most everyone to park on South Campus, and take buses to the dome. Or maybe we can fly in on drones? ;)

Hopefully they have a little more forward thinking than that.

If people are forced to park on south for football and basketball, they’re going to lose some people

Hopefully they have a little more forward thinking than that.

If people are forced to park on south for football and basketball, they’re going to lose some people
I think the people that do these things are not the most practical or realistic people in the world.

Guessing those athletic fields on the sides of steep hills are an artsy concept from a clueless dreamer.

Also, that futuristic glass building I was talking about last post might be the replacement for Marion and Kimmel. It sounds like SU is planning a bigger single dorm on the land Marion and Kimmel occupy now. Take a look, it looks pretty funky.

And the glass extension that they have in front of Bird Library on Waverly is very bold. But I think I like that too.

Campus.jpg

Last edited:
As somebody with more than a passing interest to that area of Comstock
(as one might easily glean from my handle)

I can tell you that Sig Ep is going to boot the current brotherhood out of the house, and apparently plans to rent it out to another fraternity for a few years.

My educated guess is - since Zeta Psi's house is on the register of historical places, it cannot be torn down.
But 721 Comstock is a fairly new construction from the early 80's, so I'm sure that our National would be more than happy to sell it to the University (for the right price), to facilitate either the construction of a new dorm,

and/or

as pass-thru conduit to access Ostrom behind Comstock.

At this point, I'd be shocked if 721 Comstock (the building, not me ;) )
is still standing 5 years from now.
Pretty sure the fraternity house at 727 Comstock (which SU now owns) is coming down or being completely gutted. Structural it's a mess after years of abuse. The plan is to create a portal/gateway to the new dorms being planned on Ostrom.

Pretty sure the fraternity house at 727 Comstock (which SU now owns) is coming down or being completely gutted. Structural it's a mess after years of abuse. The plan is to create a portal/gateway to the new dorms being planned on Ostrom.
Interesting. Always was curious why SU didnt buy the frat house at 101 college place too. Perfect spot for a faculty center, etc. I think OttoMets would agree :)

Yup.

I think the people that do these things are not the most practical or realistic people in the world.

Guessing those athletic fields on the sides of steep hills are an artsy concept from a clueless dreamer.

Also, that futuristic glass building I was talking about last post might be the replacement for Marion and Kimmel. It sounds like SU is planning a bigger single dorm on the land Marion and Kimmel occupy now. Take a look, it looks pretty funky.

And the glass extension that they have in front of Bird Library on Waverly is very bold. But I think I like that too.

View attachment 238179
These plans are always fun but a fraction becomes reality. The housing piece has definitely been a focus of the school though -- they had to work on the real estate around Ostrom for a while and it's clearly a priority for this Chancellor to get students on campus all four years. And to have them all on the same campus (aka no south). There's also lots of financial reasons to do it that way.

They can certainly do this without getting rid of the parking lots in the Dome, too. I know at some point that land will become more valuable for something else but it wont be for athletic fields. It needs to be something that makes money for the school.

Interesting. Always was curious why SU didnt buy the frat house at 101 college place too. Perfect spot for a faculty center, etc. I think OttoMets would agree :)
That house is my personal favorite on campus. The crow's nest!

I have never been in it but I have always been a fan of it and give it a good look whenever I pass by that area.

I would like to think it has been saved from the wrecking ball by my liking it so much so there might be other forces at work here.

Again, my my opinion, but these old frat houses are beautiful, are historically significant and I think there is value in saving some of the old buildings on campus and keeping them around for as long as possible.

It retains a modicum of the way things were. Just a small tip of the hat to the past. Gives the older alums some comfort that not everything has changed.

I am just a big fan of old distinguished buildings like this. They don't build them like this any longer.

Marion dates to 1954. Kimmel to 1962. I think these are two of the oldest dorm buildings at SU still in service.

Let's just say they have bad locations on the side of the great Thornden drumlin and are undistinguished architecturally. I can't say I will miss them.

I think a dorm near the top of the hill on Ostrom will provide nicer views, a location closer to the main campus and a facility that is 60 or 70 years newer than these old dorms. Guessing it will be well received.

It looks like it will be opposite the street from the Life Sciences building. Hopefully it will not take up the whole block (and also border Comstock) so the sororitys and frats on Comstock can survive.

View attachment 238159
Kimmel held an important place on Campus when I was an undergrad. Spent some great nights listening to live music at Jab back in the 70’s. James Taylor played there as well as his brother Livingston. David Bromberg. Bonnie Raite. James Brown. Jackson Browne (no relation to James). Even Talking Heads, though I was gone by then. Lots of others. Great place in the day. SU’s version of Cafe Lena.

Last edited:
PSI U owns both house and the land.

Otherwise that house would have suffered the same fate as Phi Psi and all the Comstock houses on the science center side.

That house is my personal favorite on campus. The crow's nest!

I have never been in it but I have always been a fan of it and give it a good look whenever I pass by that area.

I would like to think it has been saved from the wrecking ball by my liking it so much so there might be other forces at work here.

Again, my my opinion, but these old frat houses are beautiful, are historically significant and I think there is value in saving some of the old buildings on campus and keeping them around for as long as possible.

It retains a modicum of the way things were. Just a small tip of the hat to the past. Gives the older alums some comfort that not everything has changed.

I am just a big fan of old distinguished buildings like this. They don't build them like this any longer.
NYCFan, BrianOrange and SU’s AD are just a few of the illustrious brothers of 101 College place.

Absolute dump, should've been knocked down 15 years ago. The DO & WAER houses should've outlived Psi U
Am I misremembering or was WAER in a Quonset hut on the quad near Carnegie before they moved to Ostrum? This was early 70’s. Programming was much looser then and the station was totally student run. My brother in law did a blues show for a while and I used to sit in there with him and whoever else showed up while he did the show.

Look at the west end of the Dome!
Wouldn't surprise me if they are just reusing images from the leaked concepts, given that there was no mention of anything for the west end in the pdf. That blueprint looks similar to the early proposal where a hotel was attached there. Or who knows, maybe they're going to put a new dorm there instead and students can literally roll out of bed and into the bleachers.

Last edited:
The band I was in played an Annual frat party called "Finnegan's Wake." Can't remember what house it was at, but I think one of the brothers was our lead tenor sax player. Also can't remember much about the name or the theme other than I think it had something to do with putting a highly served partygoer on a bus and seeing if he could find his way back.

The band I was in played an Annual frat party called "Finnegan's Wake." Can't remember what house it was at, but I think one of the brothers was our lead tenor sax player. Also can't remember much about the name or the theme other than I think it had something to do with putting a highly served partygoer on a bus and seeing if he could find his way back.
I vaguely remember this party, but never attended. I assume it is a direct reference to the James Joyce book that while I never read it, is often assumed to stylistically represent the chaos of dreams or a dream state, or just plain “the guy who wrote this must have been SOOO WASTED!” either way probably works

I lived in Marion sophomore year and thought it was an undervalued gem.

Close to classes, m street and my frat

Loved it there

Sad day
I helped "un-stick" a window and my hand went through it. Single-pane glass and absolute crap.
Happy to see it go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom