Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Still New York's College Team, right? Why not the IBM Dome in part of a package that integrates IBM Watson with the new Sports Analytics program? Nothing wrong with a little two way partnership.

SU can't get anything moving but Dayton is putting $72 mill into their arena that is already considered one of the best basketball venues in the country

SU can't get anything moving but Dayton is putting $72 mill into their arena that is already considered one of the best basketball venues in the country
Relatively simple project compared to dome. Dome project may be the most complex in sports history given the goal of not impacting basketball and football schedules.

Relatively simple project compared to dome. Dome project may be the most complex in sports history given the goal of not impacting basketball and football schedules.

Could solve the logistics if they had the money from NYS, naming gift and major donors. Funding is the gating issue.

Could solve the logistics if they had the money from NYS, naming gift and major donors. Funding is the gating issue.
It's more than money. It's overcoming the complexity. Money will help because it is expensive to do but this is and unprecedented undertaking.

This may have already been asked and/or answered...but where is all the ACC money going? If SU was getting in the 3-5 mil/year range when in the Big East and is now getting 22-25 mil/year, that's roughly a 20 mil/year gain. In 10 years, that's approximately a 200 mil surplus. So, there's a slew of the needed coin right there for a lot of the aforementioned improvements. I realize that the math is not that simple, as there is the increase in expenses due to paying Baber's, his staff, expanding the staff, etc., but that seems relatively nominal in the scope. SU steadfastly needs to reinvest most, if not all of its ACC monies into the specific athletic departments and related infrastructure in which its fruit is reaped from.

This may have already been asked and/or answered...but where is all the ACC money going? If SU was getting in the 3-5 mil/year range when in the Big East and is now getting 22-25 mil/year, that's roughly a 20 mil/year gain. In 10 years, that's approximately a 200 mil surplus. So, there's a slew of the needed coin right there for a lot of the aforementioned improvements. I realize that the math is not that simple, as there is the increase in expenses due to paying Baber's, his staff, expanding the staff, etc., but that seems relatively nominal in the scope. SU steadfastly needs to reinvest most, if not all of its ACC monies into the specific athletic departments and related infrastructure in which its fruit is reaped from.

I'm sure travel costs for all sports has increased as well, but yeah, still doesn't account for most of that increase in conference revenue.

It's more than money. It's overcoming the complexity. Money will help because it is expensive to do but this is and unprecedented undertaking.

SU appears to be making it more complex. Taking on a project like this and remaining relatively rigid in the process (not wanting to displace its affected teams, etc.) will likely be far less economical in the end. Why would they even want to seriously entertain the notion of such an unprecedented scope that seemingly screams 'danger Will Robinson!'

SU appears to be making it more complex. Taking on a project like this and remaining relatively rigid in the process (not wanting to displace its affected teams, etc.) will likely be far less economical in the end. Why would they even want to seriously entertain the notion of such an unprecedented scope that seemingly screams 'danger Will Robinson!'
Because it is good for the fans if it can be done. Seasons playing home games outside of Syracuse would be awful. I give them credit for trying.

Spell out a little more why you see complexity as the issue here.

The scheduling of the preferred construction window, and finding alternative venues for all the sports & other activities, is a tad complex -- but not unprecedented. The proposed design, and construction steps, are complex but again -- these logistics can be addressed.

My sense is NYS has not made a commitment, and the other funding steps (naming gift, major donors) are highly dependent on getting NYS on board. And yes, "money will help".

Spell out a little more why you see complexity as the issue here.

The scheduling of the preferred construction window, and finding alternative venues for all the sports & other activities, is a tad complex -- but not unprecedented.
They plan to keep the current roof on until the new roof is installed. They have 2 sports that play there. They plan on no schedule impact. I know of no other renovation of its size that has done anything close to that. That's why it is unprecedented unless you know of one. Not sure why you mentioned "alternative venues for all the sports" because that is not part of the plan. Obviously that would make it less complex.

Move Lacrosse and Football one season to get the hardest stuff done. Put SU Basketball on the road until about Thanksgiving/ Dec 1st. Play the crappy NYS teams in Albany and Rochester. Shoot to be done by Veteran's Day and have 2 weeks of slop.

Because it is good for the fans if it can be done. Seasons playing home games outside of Syracuse would be awful. I give them credit for trying.

I get the fans are important and have to be valued, but hopefully our fans can see the forest through the trees. I would imagine that a "reasonable" person/fan could look at the big picture here and be inconvenienced for a season. Certainly, any fan that wants SU to be and/or remain relevant in the world of high end college sports well into the future.

I get the fans are important and have to be valued, but hopefully our fans can see the forest through the trees. I would imagine that a "reasonable" person/fan could look at the big picture here and be inconvenienced for a season. Certainly, any fan that wants SU to be and/or remain relevant in the world of high end college sports well into the future.
Maybe if they plan it right they can cover all the bases...reasonable price and low impact to schedules.

How long can they keep using the same excuses?

At a certain point a plan has to be made, agreed apone, funded and started.

And if not stop stringing not just the city but the region along.

Do you have a few million dollars lying around that you can donate to help move the plan along?

Do you have a few million dollars lying around that you can donate to help move the plan along?
No my job.

Also not the job of the school to string people along and sell fans, players, and coaches on a project that isn't moving along

No my job.

Also not the job of the school to string people along and sell fans, players, and coaches on a project that isn't moving along
I don't think they're stringing anyone along. If you can't afford to finance a project, then you can't do it.

They plan to keep the current roof on until the new roof is installed. They have 2 sports that play there. They plan on no schedule impact. I know of no other renovation of its size that has done anything close to that. That's why it is unprecedented unless you know of one. Not sure why you mentioned "alternative venues for all the sports" because that is not part of the plan. Obviously that would make it less complex.
Agree with you that SU is trying to do something unprecedented. They are attempting to mitigate risk with possibly the riskiest move ever in terms of managing sporting venues. I am surprised they are still considering it.

There are actually 5 teams that play there.

Mens basketball
Womens basketball
Mens lacrosse
Womens lacrosse
Football

The SU AD has said basketball and football will not be affected. He did not mention lacrosse, which surely will be.

Mens basketball
Womens basketball
Mens lacrosse
Womens lacrosse
Football

The SU AD has said basketball and football will not be affected. He did not mention lacrosse, which surely will be.
Might actually be a silver lining with lacrosse. We tend to end up with the home schedule being frontloaded presumably since we have an indoor facility. For us out of owners still making trips for hoops it's a challenge to catch more than a game or two. If we know we will be playing outside early enough perhaps we'll get more late April home games.

lax is minimal though.. they could play at cornell and still draw a pretty good crowd. how many go to womens games? can the soccer field hold games or can you do it at the sky chiefs venue? what does lemoyne hold?

Agree with you that SU is trying to do something unprecedented. They are attempting to mitigate risk with possibly the riskiest move ever in terms of managing sporting venues. I am surprised they are still considering it.

Mens basketball
Womens basketball
Mens lacrosse
Womens lacrosse
Football

Agree about lacrosse. I'd be interested in seeing if the home field advantage could be even better in a venue more fitting to the normal crowd size for lacrosse.

They need $$$$. That's the hold up.

Which is why it's stupid. The added cost of trying to do this without impacting anything is probably a 1/3 of whatever outlay it is to build a new venue elsewhere in conjunction with the I-81 renovation. The property that the dome and required parking lots sits on could be used much more efficiently by the university for other purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom