Future opponents | Syracusefan.com

Future opponents

k cuse

Walk On
with very few future out of conference games scheduled other then the next three years with ND Im hoping that the athletic department schedules some lower D-1 programs. How about FAU or Fl intl or frankly any sun belt team. With 2 perenial top 15 teams in Clemson and FL St on the schedule every year they dont have to go out of conference to look for top teams like they had to in the big east. There is nothing wrong with trying to get easier games that are good for recruiting every year. I hate to say it but Rutgers has been very successful using that model (they took it some years way to easy) in getting wins and recruits. I hate Rutgers but I have to give them credit for that.

If we could fill the Dome I'd play 1 Big Boy OOC and 3 auto wins...reality is two auto wins. FIU or FAU only if we can get a 2 for 1

If we could fill the Dome I'd play 1 Big Boy OOC and 3 auto wins...reality is two auto wins. FIU or FAU only if we can get a 2 for 1

Unless the return trip for FIU or FAU is in a year we do not play at FSU or Miami, there is no reason to schedule mid-majors at their stadiums unless we cannot afford to simply buy the game.

Also, there is no reason our third game of the season should be the first at home. If SU has to play at MetLife, the second game should be a home game. Starting the season with two road games makes no sense. Since I am ranting, the ACC needs to stop scheduling a conference game the first week of the season. Not that it affected us this year, but allow teams to work out the kinks with a couple of games under their belt before meeting in conference. Also, it does not always reflect well on the conference as the first game of the year is not usually the prettiest.

Personally, I don't think we have to go to the basement to get wins. That said, I would like to see teams such as the service academies, old Big East teams and/or AAC teams. I realize others give wins more value but I would rather see a schedule that is competitive every week. I just think it will make us better in the long run.

we have
9-20-14 Maryland
9-27-14 Notre Dame @Metlife
Villanova TBD
1 Opening

we have 4 openings

Notre Dame @Metlife
3 openings

2017-2018
4 openings

@Maryland
@Nortwestern
2 openings

@Penn State
3 openings

Penn State
3 openings

Ugh, 2014 looks like another mess. Hopefully we can fill up on MAC teams in 2015.

Ugh, 2014 looks like another mess. Hopefully we can fill up on MAC teams in 2015.

Why is 2014 another mess? SU doesn't open with the BCS level teams for once. Find a lower level D-1 team for another home game and they're all set.

We should have
we have
9-20-14 Maryland
9-27-14 Notre Dame @Metlife
Villanova TBD
1 Opening

we have 4 openings

Notre Dame @Metlife
3 openings

2017-2018
4 openings

@Maryland
@Nortwestern
2 openings

@Penn State
3 openings

Penn State
3 openings

2019 already looks like hell. playing 2 Big Ten schools on the road. I just don't get this.

We need 3 auto wins, preferably at home, and 1 BCS opponent. Future opponents I would like to schedule if possible due to recruiting, travel, similiarities etc.

Nova
Temple
E. Michigan
Illinois
Navy
Army
N. Illinois
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Maryland
Rutgers
So. Florida
UConn
ECU
ODU
Buffalo
UMass
Georgia St

Why is 2014 another mess? SU doesn't open with the BCS level teams for once. Find a lower level D-1 team for another home game and they're all set.
A B1G team we'll probably lose to and an away game in N.J. we won't have a chance in. So we'll likely once again be 2-2 heading into October.

We should have

2019 already looks like hell. playing 2 Big Ten schools on the road. I just don't get this.

We need 3 auto wins, preferably at home, and 1 BCS opponent. Future opponents I would like to schedule if possible due to recruiting, travel, similiarities etc.

Nova
Temple
E. Michigan
Illinois
Navy
Army
N. Illinois
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Maryland
Rutgers
So. Florida
UConn
ECU
ODU
Buffalo
UMass
Georgia St

Agreed, this athletic department is nuts.

Last edited:
Since I am ranting, the ACC needs to stop scheduling a conference game the first week of the season. Not that it affected us this year, but allow teams to work out the kinks with a couple of games under their belt before meeting in conference. Also, it does not always reflect well on the conference as the first game of the year is not usually the prettiest.

The ACC openers on Labor day, and this year the BC-Wake game in the second week, were made for TV deals. Can't do much about it, and not really up to the ACC, they agreed as part of the TV contract. Same thing the SEC did with Vandy-Ole Miss.

Otherwise you shouldn't see any conference games the first week or two.

If you look at how the ACC schedule works out, especially compared to years past, the ACC is doing their part to work out their football schedule like a big boy conference. Two seasons ago the ACC scheduled the FSU-Clemson game, the likely division decider, in the third game of the year, and one week after huge OOC showdowns (OU and Auburn). It couldn't make less sense. They also love sending the conference favorites out for a Thursday night road game on four days rest.

Ever notice that in the end-of-year rivalry games with the SEC, the SEC schools always had a cupcake game? I bet you didn't. Meanwhile, the ACC would be sending FSU up to Maryland, and Clemson on the road to BC with the division on the line that weekend. So all our rivals had two weeks to prepare, while we were all travelling to try wrap up a division. Any wonder why the ACC has struggled in those games?

Well, take a look at this year...finally, the conference gets it. Clemson, GT, and FSU all have laughers the week before and will have wrapped up their conference slate.

It's a little thing, something not noticed nationally, but that gives me as an observer of this stuff a little bit of optimism that the ACC finally gets the importance of football and playing the "game" behind the game the way other conferences do. There are some indications that this conference is moving away from tolerating football as a pre-basketball diversion and actually intend to compete.

Next, we have to get the schools on board to do the same for their part.

Also, there is no reason our third game of the season should be the first at home. If SU has to play at MetLife, the second game should be a home game. Starting the season with two road games makes no sense. Since I am ranting, the ACC needs to stop scheduling a conference game the first week of the season. Not that it affected us this year, but allow teams to work out the kinks with a couple of games under their belt before meeting in conference. Also, it does not always reflect well on the conference as the first game of the year is not usually the prettiest.

With how insane our scheduling has been recently I'd rather open up with an ACC team, given the AD seems to think a B1G team is the only other option.

A B1G team we'll probably lose to and an away game in N.J. we won't have a chance in. So we'll likely once again be 2-2 heading into October.

I don't share your pessimism regarding the home game vs. Maryland, especially after starting the season 2-0.

We should beat Maryland, Villanova at home. Notre Dame will be coming off Michigan, Michigan State but should be a loss. Our 4th opponent will likely be a cupcake I think 3-1 in the OOC games next year.

Yeah, you're going to have to take your lumps again next year, I'm afraid. Especially since you'll be adding a pretty good Louisville team as well. Kind of frustrating that the Maryland game was just added, can't blame that as being scheduled 10 years ago.

But you really should load up that 2015 schedule with patsies. That will be the third year of the regime,and with your somewhat improved recruiting, and you should be targeting 2015 as the year you go from 5-6 wins to 8-9 wins. That should be the year to make the move. In the worst case scenario and you send your coach packing after two seasons, that's going to be a very attractive schedule to attract a good coach. He's going to look at that as an opportunity to make an instant impact.

I would be working to move that 2019 NW game to another season.

We should beat Maryland, Villanova at home. Notre Dame will be coming off Michigan, Michigan State but should be a loss. Our 4th opponent will likely be a cupcake I think 3-1 in the OOC games next year.

I would be shocked if you were not a touchdown underdog to Maryland. Expecting to win that is part of the problem.

Let's let the season play out though...maybe Maryland regresses and you guys are better than advertised. But as the programs stand now, Maryland looks to be the solid favorite, not a "should-win".

don't get the hand wringing about Maryland. They are worse than both NW and PED st., and SU gets the twerps at home.

I would be shocked if you were not a touchdown underdog to Maryland. Expecting to win that is part of the problem.

Let's let the season play out though...maybe Maryland regresses and you guys are better than advertised. But as the programs stand now, Maryland looks to be the solid favorite, not a "should-win".

Eh, maybe not a full touchdown favorite, I thought it was at Maryland. Anyways, that's still a team that should beat you.

Let's see Maryland next week when they play a bad West Virginia team in Baltimore. Maryland isn't a team on the cusp they a level above BC and Wake. I expect to beat Maryland at home.

Why in hell should we beat Maryland? We have not been good in forever and people are penciling in victories against B1G opponents?

don't get the hand wringing about Maryland. They are worse than both NW and PED st., and SU gets the twerps at home.
Agreed. This is Maryland we're talking about. They may be in the Big 10, but are not a Big 10 team the likes of Ohio St, Mich, or NW/PSU for that matter. If we're afraid of playing Maryland we have bigger issues than I thought.

Frankly I'd rather play OOC games with regional interest and not PAC 12 ones (and this come from someone in CA who went to both LA and Seattle the last few years)

Why in hell should we beat Maryland? We have not been good in forever and people are penciling in victories against B1G opponents?
Syracuse has won 21 games over the 3 past years. Maryland has won 17 games over the past 4 years. Maryland is not as good as Georgia Tech, North Carolina we should beat Maryland at home. They aren't a worldbeater jeez. If you don't expect to beat Maryland at home then I guess you don't expect to win any non-Duke ACC games.

Let's see Maryland next week when they play a bad West Virginia team in Baltimore. Maryland isn't a team on the cusp they a level above BC and Wake. I expect to beat Maryland at home.

Why would a team have to be "on the cusp" to be a difficult challenge for this Syracuse team? Do you not see being a level above BC and Wake to be a significant challenge for Syracuse?

Over the last five years, you've got all of 3 more wins than Maryland, and they started a linebacker at quarterback all last year. And you guys were playing in the Big East, and they were in the ACC. They should make up those three games this year.
Don't get me wrong, I hate Maryland, but where Syracuse SHOULD be vis a vis Maryland and where Syracuse is and has been vis a vis Maryland is not the same thing.

And I'm not saying you shouldn't play Maryland. Maryland is actually a perfect team for you to play. You could beat them. But you should be playing them ONLY, not also ND or NW.

Plus, you'll only have a week to prep for the Irish. You MIGHT go 3-1, but likelihood is 2-2.

Syracuse has won 21 games over the 3 past years. Maryland has won 17 games over the past 4 years. Maryland is not as good as Georgia Tech, North Carolina we should beat Maryland at home. They aren't a worldbeater jeez. If you don't expect to beat Maryland at home then I guess you don't expect to win any non-Duke ACC games.

Eh, I wouldn't pencil in a win against Duke just yet. I think they'll go to a bowl again.

You guys will win a few conference games this year I'm sure. You won't 0-fer. But I don't think any individual game is going to be a sure win.