FWIW, from ND hoops board re ND/ACC | Syracusefan.com

FWIW, from ND hoops board re ND/ACC

Chris02M

Football Schedule Maven
found on ncaabbs board from nd fan TerryD:

I don't know if any of this is true, but here is the post:

"Result of meeting Sunday between Swofford and Louisville/ND

1. Louisville and ND will likely join for basketball next season.

2. Because of litigation, Maryland will still likely be in ACC until 2014.

3. Because of #2 and #1 above, the 2013-14 ACC basketball season will have 16 teams.

4. Unfortunately, Louisville will be playing one more "BE" football season next year. I put "BE" on quotes because the league might not have that name...

5. ESPN is pressuring Notre Dame to add a 6th ACC game per year in football, so the ACC will get three games every year on ESPN instead of every other year. Notre Dame may opt to play Pitt and BC every year and rotate through the other 12 teams once every three years. This gives the ACC 6 games per year with ND. ND is thinking hard about this. Pitt and BC would alternate in South Bend.. with the other hosting ND every year.

6. Notre Dame has agreed to join the ACC full time when "the time is right" ... but the time is not currently right. The time will be right when playoffs go to 8 teams with an autobid for conference champs, but not before."

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo.....655;d=this&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13558670356262

You think the BE and the ACC will allow Louisville to have a split season ... 2013-14 Football in the BE and Basketball in the ACC?

Where does Louisville Soccer, Baseball, etc... play?

I don't see this happening. I also don't see Louisville playing $20 million to leave the BE immediately for only 1 sport.

Unless the BE votes to dissolve, the Louisville for Maryland swap will take place in 2014-15. If the BE no longer exists, then Louisville can become a full ACC member tomorrow ... there would be no need for a split season.

It all sounds plausible.

I suspect #1 won't happen and that UL & ND will remain in the BE until July 1st, 2014. The immediate need for a new BE hoops TV contract could change that.

There is ALOT of meat in that post. Not saying its all true, but someone needed to be really creative to come up with this.

There is ALOT of meat in that post. Not saying its all true, but someone needed to be really creative to come up with this.

THE DUDE!!! He's on our side now.

I have seen that posted on a few boards now.

1. I only think that happens if the C7 are gone next year. Which is possible.

2. I believe will drag out.

3. Depends again on C7. No need to take UL right away unless they are stuck. You can add them in all but FB and just not pay them a share. It would be like a one year entrance fee. They are getting what $5 million now from the BE? If they play just FB next year and get half that would it kill their Athletic Dept? Of course not. They rather play one year in the ACC for free than be left playing ECU, UCF, etc.

4. They are s"stuck" for a year but at the same time they have a great chance at the BCS game.

5. I like this. It is fair as the ACC and ND each get 3 home games. It also leaves ND 3 free OOC games after adding USC, Stanford, and Navy to the 6 ACC games.

6. It would be an easy transition to only add 2 more ACC games down the line. However why would a playoff change things? Currently there are two playoff spots which are at large. When we go to a 4 team playoff there will be 4 playoff spots at large. If the Big 5 have auto bids to an 8 team playoff then that leaves 3 at large bids (maybe 2 if the G5 have a requirement like be in the Top 10). So how would this really change in ND eyes? They said no to joining when there were two at larges. They said no when there will be four at larges. But if/when we move to 2-3 at larges they will say yes? Why?

1. With two eight-team divisions, seven games would let ND play a complete divisional schedule. Interdivisional games dominated by historical rivalries could be optional. With divisions formed from rotating 4 teams pods, everyone would play each other at least once every three years. If Navy gets added to the ND pod, then 6 games + Navy =7. Coaxing six games out of ND and then adding Navy just might get 'er done.

2. If it is commonly known that ND joins the ACC if certain conditions are met then isn't within the realm of possibility that the B1G will work against those conditions for precisely that reason? ND joining the ACC just might be what triggers an eight team playoff.

3. Because of #2 and #1 above, the 2013-14 ACC basketball season will have 16 teams.

4. Unfortunately, Louisville will be playing one more "BE" football season next year. I put "BE" on quotes because the league might not have that name...

5. ESPN is pressuring Notre Dame to add a 6th ACC game per year in football, so the ACC will get three games every year on ESPN instead of every other year. Notre Dame may opt to play Pitt and BC every year and rotate through the other 12 teams once every three years. This gives the ACC 6 games per year with ND. ND is thinking hard about this. Pitt and BC would alternate in South Bend.. with the other hosting ND every year.

6. Notre Dame has agreed to join the ACC full time when "the time is right" ... but the time is not currently right. The time will be right when playoffs go to 8 teams with an autobid for conference champs, but not before."

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=1686da1044273e8a4540f89500b72810&loc=http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=608185&v=1&libid=1355866469230&out=http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=thepit;pid=225655;d=this&ref=http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=637&title=FWIW, from ND hoops board re ND/ACC&txt=http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost...655;d=this&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13558670356262
Chris, good post and get. Let me add a few points here that may help shed more light on what is going on at this point.
1. ACC-ESPN negotiations are moving toward culmination
2. The ACC will have an increase in TV revenue based on Notre Dame association
--ESPN is willing to up the dollars even more to the ACC if Notre Dame goes to 6 games rather than 5...giving ESPN 3 games a year with Notre Dame against ACC opponents...how much more...up to $5 million per game...plus dollars for other Notre Dame teams in BBall, and olympic sports...may add more than $2,000,000 per ACC team/year
3. The ACC team success in NCAA may add as much as $2,000,000 per team with addition of 'Cuse, Louisville, Pitt and Notre Dame
4. The ACC digital network and ACC network moving forward quickly...could add significant dollars

#2--#4 is reason for CBSsports to indicate that the ACC is positioning itself to make more dollars per team than the Big 12 and potentially the PAC 12 (see yesterday's post). I should have more information from source soon. It is good to be 'Cuse right now and in the future!!!

Generally speaking, what might an ACC Network look like? I'm confused about that. I know there is the Raycom arrangement and games are / will be available online on the ACC site. What might it look like in terms of reach and content & Raycom vs. ESPN?

Chris, good post and get. Let me add a few points here that may help shed more light on what is going on at this point.
1. ACC-ESPN negotiations are moving toward culmination
2. The ACC will have an increase in TV revenue based on Notre Dame association
--ESPN is willing to up the dollars even more to the ACC if Notre Dame goes to 6 games rather than 5...giving ESPN 3 games a year with Notre Dame against ACC opponents...how much more...up to $5 million per game...plus dollars for other Notre Dame teams in BBall, and olympic sports...may add more than $2,000,000 per ACC team/year
3. The ACC team success in NCAA may add as much as $2,000,000 per team with addition of 'Cuse, Louisville, Pitt and Notre Dame
4. The ACC digital network and ACC network moving forward quickly...could add significant dollars

#2--#4 is reason for CBSsports to indicate that the ACC is positioning itself to make more dollars per team than the Big 12 and potentially the PAC 12 (see yesterday's post). I should have more information from source soon. It is good to be 'Cuse right now and in the future!!!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo.....655;d=this&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13558670356262

Not sure what makes a ND poster any more valid than anyone here or the dude or Swaim. Must be this poster is saying things SU fans want to hear.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't believe that guy at all, but if it annoys Big 12 fan boys, then it's worth it.

Right. This is phsychological warfare against WVU and the Big 12 Boosters, nothing more. There are a couple of plausible scenarios certainly, but I think the poster who has been spamming multiple boards (or whose OP is being picked up and rebroadcast on additional boards) knows no more about the confidential discussions of Swofford and Swarbrick and Jurich than I do. Yep, he's an Anti-Big 12 Dude. And that's OK as long as you remember he's a Dude.

6. It would be an easy transition to only add 2 more ACC games down the line. However why would a playoff change things? Currently there are two playoff spots which are at large. When we go to a 4 team playoff there will be 4 playoff spots at large. If the Big 5 have auto bids to an 8 team playoff then that leaves 3 at large bids (maybe 2 if the G5 have a requirement like be in the Top 10). So how would this really change in ND eyes? They said no to joining when there were two at larges. They said no when there will be four at larges. But if/when we move to 2-3 at larges they will say yes? Why?
Their criteria for getting one of those playoff spots doesn't change with the addition of more playoff teams - they need to be undefeated or have only one loss (with some luck). That's a difficult route, but everyone else has the same situation too. If autobids to the playoffs are awarded, that opens another route for teams that are in conferences - actually two teams per conference if they have a championship game/defacto opening playoff round.

ND could remain independent and continue vying for a similiar amount of at-large spots (still likely requiring one loss or less) as they are now. Or they could join a conference and open another avenue up by simply winning a division (and subsequent championship game). Keep in mind that they play USC every season in a game where losing could immediately put them on the playoff bubble and out of the picture with another loss. It makes sense to hedge by joining a conference - particularly when they are already within a couple of games of playing an ACC schedule already.

If there are AQs, then there is some benefit to being in a conference with an AQ. If there are at-large bids, then there is advantage to having an easier schedule. If there are AQs AND at-large bids, then being in an AQ conference that also provides a relatively easy schedule is win-win. The B1G and the SEC fear the awesome mediocrity of ACC football.

If true, great. But you would have to think that Swofford and ESPN would have pushed for 6 ACC games in their prior negotiation with ND and ND was only willing to agree to 5. What's different now?

Not sure what makes a ND poster any more valid than anyone here or the dude or Swaim. Must be this poster is saying things SU fans want to hear.

Well, this is an SU board, so it probably is more interesting to believe the pro ACC fake rumors than the pro Big 12 fake rumors.

Wouldn't you think?

Well, this is an SU board, so it probably is more interesting to believe the pro ACC fake rumors than the pro Big 12 fake rumors.

Wouldn't you think?

Yes I would.

Right. This is phsychological warfare against WVU and the Big 12 Boosters, nothing more.

ad-iyh10.jpg