G at the point | Syracusefan.com

G at the point

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Could go down as 1 of the best coaching decisions in boeheims career. I think hes gonna have a monster year. Hes our best player, i love hes gonna have the ball in his hands most of the time.

Its all about guard play in march, and by the time march rolls around G at the point all year is gonna pay huge dividends.

If im boeheim i tell him to attack the rim immediately. Get the inbounds pass, push the ball up the court, drive and kick for an open 3. He can take anyone off the dribble. 7 seconds or less cuse style baby!

Could go down as 1 of the best coaching decisions in boeheims career. I think hes gonna have a monster year. Hes our best player, i love hes gonna have the ball in his hands most of the time.

Its all about guard play in march, and by the time march rolls around G at the point all year is gonna pay huge dividends.

If im boeheim i tell him to attack the rim immediately. Get the inbounds pass, push the ball up the court, drive and kick for an open 3. He can take anyone off the dribble. 7 seconds or less cuse style baby!
Hope you are right. I am still iffy on G as our lead point guard. He is a great scorer but his ball handling still needs some work from what I have seen so far. Let's see how he does against real competition bringing the ball up and then pass judgement. I would still prefer a true point guard so G could focus on scoring.

Cuse House said:
Hope you are right. I am still iffy on G as our lead point guard. He is a great scorer but his ball handling still needs some work from what I have seen so far. Let's see how he does against real competition bringing the ball up and then pass judgement. I would still prefer a true point guard so G could focus on scoring.

Yea his handle isnt the greatest but its good enough right now and by march it will be fine.

JB is swinging for the fences with this move. He could have easily put kaleb back as the pg and hoped he improved. But he sees the potential with G and if it works out, having a pg with his size and explosiveness and scoring ability will be a huge advantage for us, especially in march.

you saying' our best player is a Duke castoff ? great.

G with the ball in his hands is the way for this team to go. However the nice thing about this team is that G is not the only one who is capable on manning that spot. We've already seen Joseph and Howard spend time there as well. I think based on the match ups, it could be point guard by committee with G spending at least 25+ minutes there and the rest at the 3. Fortunately that seems to be one of the strengths of the team.

Only thing I am worried about with G is can he dribble 6-7 dribbles in the halfcourt I don't want him to hit a point where its 2-3 dribbles then pass caused by pressure D.

And if he does I Hope he can force advantage on those days by forcing and scoring on his man off the dribble and maybe Kaleb, Cooney, or Howard can play point.

It's not so much his handle as his strength and athleticism on drives that will pay off. I'd even like to see boeheim run some action to get him post up opportunities ala triche against Jordan Hulls a few years back. I'm most concerned about whether G has the vision to be a great pg. he's got enough to be at least good, but can he be an actual pg too?

NYCorange said:
It's not so much his handle as his strength and athleticism on drives that will pay off. I'd even like to see boeheim run some action to get him post up opportunities ala triche against Jordan Hulls a few years back. I'm most concerned about whether G has the vision to be a great pg. he's got enough to be at least good, but can he be an actual pg too?

That last part is why its such a ballsy move by JB. Nobody knows the answer, but coach is confident (desperate?) enough to think the answer is yes. I think its yes too, G is gonna lead this team to the dance...and beyond??

That last part is why its such a ballsy move by JB. Nobody knows the answer, but coach is confident (desperate?) enough to think the answer is yes. I think its yes too, G is gonna lead this team to the dance...and beyond??
Whether he has an NBA future depends on it.

G only had 9 attempts today was 3 for 3 from three and 1-6 outside of that but he got to the line for a few, and hes making them this year.

We have had teams where our lead guy gets up in/near the 20 shots per game range. I am curious to see how many shots per game gbinije will be taking the next few weeks running the point.

We didn't slow it down and really pass around and run the offense much at all today, but I liked to see Gbinije be overly aggressive looking to score to make up for it. When teams pressure defend if your Point Guard is your first or second scorer, hes got to make them pay and hoping to kickout to him off motion is not the way.

We didn't really have a 2nd option tonight.

Last edited:
Not a ballsy move. He's got no one else.

Yes. We have 5 effective players (Lydon, G, Cooney, Roberson, Richardson). G becomes a point, and Cooney and Richardson as combo guards supplement G. Lydon with his forward skills and size becomes our center. Same idea -- got no one else.
The role as PG has developed G's skills and made him more assertive.

Capt. Tuttle said:

Hes got the guy who started there last year.

He's not just the best all around player he is the best shooter.. I wish JB would give Joseph a little more run in these early games with G at the 2. That way we can see if Joseph has gotten any better..

I do not think Cooney is worth having on the court 35+ minutes. He isn't playing good D or hitting open shots

Only thing I am worried about with G is can he dribble 6-7 dribbles in the halfcourt I don't want him to hit a point where its 2-3 dribbles then pass caused by pressure D.

And if he does I Hope he can force advantage on those days by forcing and scoring on his man off the dribble and maybe Kaleb, Cooney, or Howard can play point.

Good points and it's a concern with all of the guards, frankly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom