Class of 2024 - G Elijah Moore (NY) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/23) | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 G Elijah Moore (NY) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/28/23)

I think Moore is going to be the biggest surprise this year and an all conference type player as a soph.
I don't want to put too much on him but I agree with you. He's a shooter which is very different than someone that can shoot. Players that can shoot might struggle shooting as freshman. Shooters shoot and don't care who it is they are shooting over. How many minutes he'll get is impossible to guess right now. But players that make shots find their way onto the court. He is not a SF by any means but his height would help in a 3 G lineup. He'll have plenty to work to improve on his freshmen year. But he already knows how to shoot.

I don't want to put too much on him but I agree with you. He's a shooter which is very different than someone that can shoot. Players that can shoot might struggle shooting as freshman. Shooters shoot and don't care who it is they are shooting over. How many minutes he'll get is impossible to guess right now. But players that make shots find their way onto the court. He is not a SF by any means but his height would help in a 3 G lineup. He'll have plenty to work to improve on his freshmen year. But he already knows how to shoot.

I agree, I won't put huge expectations on the kid though. I feel like not only is he a shooter but he has already started to develop his offensive game to exploit the threat of his shooting. I think one he gets enough opportunity in real games he will earn more playing time.

The trick is to keep him engaged and interested enough that he actually comes back for year 2 and doesn't just portal after not playing much his freshman year like we see a lot of these freshman do. He seems mature enough to realize there are several veteran guards on this team that have paid their dues and will command a lot of minutes. We will really need him in 2025 when we have potentially 2 freshman guards coming in.

That's why six guards is too many. If Leffew decides on a bigger bag (which is how the delay looks to me, like he's shopping our number), I would prefer another PF, anyway. Ideally, a stretch 4 who is about 6-8 or 6-9, weighs about 240, and can hit 34% from three. Enough to be a threat, and draw opposing big men out of the lane, to create driving lanes. That's the one piece we are still missing, now that we have a pass-first PG.

That's why six guards is too many. If Leffew decides on a bigger bag (which is how the delay looks to me, like he's shopping our number), I would prefer another PF, anyway. Ideally, a stretch 4 who is about 6-8 or 6-9, weighs about 240, and can hit 34% from three. Enough to be a threat, and draw opposing big men out of the lane, to create driving lanes. That's the one piece we are still missing, now that we have a pass-first PG.
Which PFs in the portal fit into your description?

Did you forget about our 6'9" 220lb All American freshman power forward coming in...? I think if you look around, he has his own thread.

He can shoot the three a little bit too.

EDIT: sorry for the snark, I was trying to be funny, and failing.

I think the problem with finding a guy like you are describing is that he'll need to worry about playing time with Lampkin, McLeod, Freeman and Davis already in the rotation at his position... We'd need a young guy willing to be the fifth guy in a four man rotation, or somebody good enough to drive one or more of them to the bench. Then THAT guy might change his mind about Syracuse.

Last edited:
Did you forget about our 6'9" 220lb All American freshman power forward coming in...? I think if you look around, he has his own thread.

He can shoot the three a little bit too.

EDIT: sorry for the snark, I was trying to be funny, and failing.

I think the problem with finding a guy like you are describing is that he'll need to worry about playing time with Lampkin, McLeod, Freeman and Davis already in the rotation at his position... We'd need a young guy willing to be the fifth guy in a four man rotation, or somebody good enough to drive one or more of them to the bench. Then THAT guy might change his mind about Syracuse.

Yeah, he's ONE GUY. We don't have any others. You need 2 just for practice.