Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

Well, I guess he didn't win "anything"...but he went to the tourney and won the NIT.
We went sub .500, basically got JB fired, and haven't gone to the tourney in 3 years.

Which would you prefer?

fwiw, I think if Quincy and Kadary came back in 21 with Buddy, Cole, and a more experienced Jesse with Joe and Jimmy used properly off the bench... that would have been a big time team. Wasn't meant to be though.
If Jesse didn't break his wrist at BC, that team was ready for a deep run in the NCAAT.

Our offense was at its best when both were on the floor. I liked Kadary as a freshman but I stand by the fact that he was no world beater. He transferred to Seton Hall and saw a decline in basically every advanced statistical measure the next year, despite playing more minutes. His junior year was basically the same as his freshman year (he still only played 27 minutes per game). He didn't really come into his own until last year. Oh, and he never won a damn thing (which probably would have been the case if he stayed at Cuse too).

Normally, I find myself agreeing with your posts on most topics. Surprised to see that we differ so much on this one.

Kadary was far from perfect. But he was also a freshman, not a finished / polished / experienced product at that point. Even so, he was our best lead guard, a great defensive fit for our zone system who generated a lot of steals through anticipation, and a plus rebounder for a backcourt player [which was of benefit, since we were such a generally poor rebounding team].

He was also [and is today] an exceptional ball handler, and terrific passer.

In terms of his developmental opportunities, he wasn't [and isn't] a knock down shooter from three. And his conditioning wasn't top notch.

But it was clear even from that one year that he was the best lead guard on that team -- by far -- and that our top performance throughout that year occurred with the ball in his hands. I believe that's what a lot of posters were frustrated about, when he was told in his end-of-season debrief with JB that he wouldn't start the following year and opted to leave.

I think some posters take it as an anti-Joe sentiment, when at least for me, it isn't. But it is a recognition that Joe was playing out of position and being mis-utilized, and it was hurting the team's ceiling [which was not Joe's fault, that he was being mis-used].

I also think that's why some posters try to rationalize away the significance / impact of Kadary's departure. He was out of shape... he was never going to start anyway... he didn't improve sophomore year... JB was right after all...

In this case -- no, I don't think he was. It was a poor decision that led to the decline we saw over JB's final two seasons. Would have loved to see Kadary at the 1, passing to shooters like Buddy, Joe, and Cole on the wings [and Jimmy the following year]. IMO, that was the impetus for us struggling to be around .500, instead of on the other side of NCAA tournament eligibility.

Well, I guess he didn't win "anything"...but he went to the tourney and won the NIT.
We went sub .500, basically got JB fired, and haven't gone to the tourney in 3 years.

Which would you prefer?

fwiw, I think if Quincy and Kadary came back in 21 with Buddy, Cole, and a more experienced Jesse with Joe and Jimmy used properly off the bench... that would have been a big time team. Wasn't meant to be though.

Both are basically the same thing, IMO. And I assume that Cole only came to SU after Kadary left, so I'm not sure that would have been the lineup. My ideal roster that year (assuming Cole didn't come and Kadary and Quincy stayed) would have been Kadary, Joe, Buddy, Quincy and Jesse. I think Jesse, Quincy and Kadary could have made up for Buddy's lack of rebounding at the 3 and that would've been the ideal offensive lineup.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the conversation about Kadary portaling back to Syracuse (which of course is not going to happen).

Normally, I find myself agreeing with your posts on most topics. Surprised to see that we differ so much on this one.

Kadary was far from perfect. But he was also a freshman, not a finished / polished / experienced product at that point. Even so, he was our best lead guard, a great defensive fit for our zone system who generated a lot of steals through anticipation, and a plus rebounder for a backcourt player [which was of benefit, since we were such a generally poor rebounding team].

He was also [and is today] an exceptional ball handler, and terrific passer.

In terms of his developmental opportunities, he wasn't [and isn't] a knock down shooter from three. And his conditioning wasn't top notch.

But it was clear even from that one year that he was the best lead guard on that team -- by far -- and that our top performance throughout that year occurred with the ball in his hands. I believe that's what a lot of posters were frustrated about, when he was told in his end-of-season debrief with JB that he wouldn't start the following year and opted to leave.

I think some posters take it as an anti-Joe sentiment, when at least for me, it isn't. But it is a recognition that Joe was playing out of position and being mis-utilized, and it was hurting the team's ceiling [which was not Joe's fault, that he was being mis-used].

I also think that's why some posters try to rationalize away the significance / impact of Kadary's departure. He was out of shape... he was never going to start anyway... he didn't improve sophomore year... JB was right after all...

In this case -- no, I don't think he was. It was a poor decision that led to the decline we saw over JB's final two seasons. Would have loved to see Kadary at the 1, passing to shooters like Buddy, Joe, and Cole on the wings [and Jimmy the following year]. IMO, that was the impetus for us struggling to be around .500, instead of on the other side of NCAA tournament eligibility.

I don't disagree with most of this (was it confirmed that Boeheim really did tell him he wouldn't start the following year, though?). What I take umbrage with is the idea that he wasn't given a fair shot in Syracuse. He played over 25 minutes in 1/3 of the games that season. If he came back the following year and didn't play a larger role (or if he really was told in his "exit interview" by JB that he wouldn't be starting the following year) then that would be more cause for outrage, IMO.

I don't disagree with most of this (was it confirmed that Boeheim really did tell him he wouldn't start the following year, though?). What I take umbrage with is the idea that he wasn't given a fair shot in Syracuse. He played over 25 minutes in 1/3 of the games that season. If he came back the following year and didn't play a larger role (or if he really was told in his "exit interview" by JB that he wouldn't be starting the following year) then that would be more cause for outrage, IMO.

He should have started. This wasn't close. Post from 03/30/21:

Also, copy and paste:

Let's just get this over with:

Category: Kadary / Joe
PER: 18.4 / 13.6
TS%: .527 / .484
eFG%: .478 / .453
WS/40: .128 / .078
OBPM: 1.7 / 0.8
DBPM: 4.6 / 1.5
BPM: 6.2 / 2.3

More traditional shooting percentage stats:
FG%: .453 / .357
2PT%: .475 / .389
3PT%: .333 / .333

SHOOTING? OVERALL? DEFENSE? COOKING PANCAKES?

What is the question, here. Honestly, the only thing that Joe is better at him than is being from Glens Falls as far as I can tell.

He should have started. This wasn't close. Post from 03/30/21:

Also, copy and paste:

Let's just get this over with:

Category: Kadary / Joe
PER: 18.4 / 13.6
TS%: .527 / .484
eFG%: .478 / .453
WS/40: .128 / .078
OBPM: 1.7 / 0.8
DBPM: 4.6 / 1.5
BPM: 6.2 / 2.3

More traditional shooting percentage stats:
FG%: .453 / .357
2PT%: .475 / .389
3PT%: .333 / .333

SHOOTING? OVERALL? DEFENSE? COOKING PANCAKES?

What is the question, here. Honestly, the only thing that Joe is better at him than is being from Glens Falls as far as I can tell.

That's just it -- the difference was stark.

And I readily acknowledge that Joe was a streak scorer / shooter who could intermittently get buckets in a hurry when he got infrequently hot.

But while JB was waiting for that potential to actualize between those rare occurrences when it infrequently happened, Kadary was better at everything else. And Joe was a liability as a 1, playing out of position, when he wasn't hitting shots.

That's just it -- the difference was stark.

And I readily acknowledge that Joe was a streak scorer / shooter who could intermittently get buckets in a hurry when he got infrequently hot.

But while JB was waiting for that potential to actualize between those rare occurrences when it infrequently happened, Kadary was better at everything else. And Joe was a liability as a 1, playing out of position, when he wasn't hitting shots.
Kadary's ability to handle/break pressure doesn't show up in those stats either. There were several games where him being on the court more could have helped in this area (some have already mentioned the tourney game vs WVU as a perfect example of this).

The idea that he should have been happy with 21 minutes per game is silly. First that number is inflated to some degree by three games early in the season in which Buddy missed games and Kadary played 35, 31 and 37 minutes. Playing that much also argues against JBs assertion that he didn't play much because he was out of shape and couldn't handle more minutes.

Kadary's ability to handle/break pressure doesn't show up in those stats either. There were several games where him being on the court more could have helped in this area (some have already mentioned the tourney game vs WVU as a perfect example of this).

The idea that he should have been happy with 21 minutes per game is silly. First that number is inflated to some degree by three games early in the season in which Buddy missed games and Kadary played 35, 31 and 37 minutes. Playing that much also argues against JBs assertion that he didn't play much because he was out of shape and couldn't handle more minutes.
Buddy should have been the small forward on that team.
The one year rent was not a very good player at small forward.
Didn't rebound or score enough to get all the minutes he got.

He is Kwaqi Leonard on defense too

I guess my question is, if he was this great difference maker, then why did he go to Seton Hall and put up essentially the same/worse numbers while only playing 5 more minutes per game on a 14-13 team?

Interesting discussion (ancient history). But as of now, I'd be thrilled to have KR transfer back, if he's even available. He's 6-6, a plus defender and a gifted distributor. The other portal possibility (Evans) is also impressive.

Last edited:
Organized Crime Nbc GIF by Law & Order

Not that this discussion isn't interesting (it is certainly nostalgic), the point now is that, if he's even available to us given NIL and long-ago forgotten issues, Karary would make this team better. The other guard transfer we brought in looks decent. But KR is an NBA talent. He's 6-6, a plus defender and a gifted distributor. I do like the other portal possibility (Evans) but I'd be thrilled if Kadary came back . . . notwithstanding the artifacts of his old beef with JB, the manipulations of his mother, tampering by sleazy SH, etc. If we don't have the coin, fine, but ancient history shouldn't be a factor.
Kadary might be an NBA talent but he still isn't on any draft board. If the NBA wanted him, he'd be playing there. But, I wish he played for Syracuse and hoped he played his way into the draft.

I remember about 48 hours ago when the roster was broken beyond repair when Leffew picked Georgia. Now all I’m reading is about Kadary and Kenny
Well, according to Dashers droll comments, Syracuse has no will to make a run at Kadary. Evan's is good, but he is not on the same level as Richmond.

Do you know how good this team would be with him?

Regardless, why would the national media care, beyond a couple tweets and maybe (maybe) a bottom line mention on ESPNU?

Regardless, why would the national media care, beyond a couple tweets and maybe (maybe) a bottom line mention on ESPNU?
Syracuse would be a contender for the National Championship, that's why. The dome would rock again and the Syracuse brand would be back. If Richmond was running the point, he would get the ball down low to the bigs which would blow open the offense and this team would score 87 points a game.

Is there actually any mutual interest here? I can’t imagine KR would be interested in coming back.