Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 105 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

And, if wss only about the $, there wouldn’t have been a 2nd or 3rd call.

But we have posts above indicating above that it WAS all about the money, and he just took at offer that he couldn't refuse / we couldn't match.

So... both can't be true, so is it column A or column B? [not directed at you, asking the question aloud]

Last edited:
But we have posts above indicating above that it WAS all about the money, and he just took at offer that he couldn't refuse / we couldn't match.

So... both can't be true, so is it column A or column B? [not directed at you, asking the question aloud]
Other than Kadary, no one will know. But you would have to think it was a combo of things. The money, of course. To play for a Hall of Famer in NYC has to be in the mix. Who do you think will get a warmer reception..Kadary when they play at SH or Cooley when he goes back to Providence?

Here's how it's playing in NYC...and don't overlook this paragraph:

“He (Pitino) told me to do some research on the players he had that struggled shooting and take a look at jumps they made after being with him,” Richmond said. “They showed improvements in all areas. That really stood out to me as well.”

Nice sales pitch- it’s BS at this point in Pitinos career but is what it is. St John’s will struggle to score from the perimeter but will be lethal attacking the rim. Won’t have the interior presence they did this past year either. Good luck to Kadary with that roster.

And I’ll say this. For those who want info about money. Cuse has offered a player 600k for a year and they said no and went elsewhere. Don’t want to hear they aren’t trying to pay bc they are. But these kids are just taking the highest offer and some pockets are deeper than others
$600K a year isn’t much of anything for the real difference makers.

It’s not Reds fault. But clearly we don’t have the money that other NIL collectives do

If he’s a good practice player who makes the starters better, glad he’s here. Most good walkons consider the practices their “game time” and compete hard in practice.
The biggest question I have after reading the entirety of this thread up to this point is why did Day2 give the quoted post regarding Chaz Owens a dislike?

Last edited:
I buy tickets and bring my kids and others. I have seasons for football. That doesn’t come cheap. The university is getting my money. It needs to figure the rest out. That’s what they’re paid to do. It’s not joe smith’s responsibility.

I don’t care how they do it. Just figure it out.

I think we’re making this all about NIL and that’s a little too convenient of a cop-out like the AD has no say in those efforts. There are many ways to skin the cat. NIL. Salesmanship. Coaching ability. Facilities/amenities. Fan support. All of those matter. If deficient in one area then compensate in others.

And none of that goes to NIL. Nobody can tell you how to spend your money but IMO if you don’t give to NIL stop complaining about it and expecting others to foot the bill.

It’s not Reds fault. But clearly we don’t have the money that other NIL collectives do
I don’t think it’s very far off but just a matter of what they spend. Fran made recruiting promises IF he was given the resources. He’s pulled through on those promises. The situation in basketball is so different. I don’t really know how to explain it

I don’t think it’s very far off but just a matter of what they spend. Fran made recruiting promises IF he was given the resources. He’s pulled through on those promises. The situation in basketball is so different. I don’t really know how to explain it
So it doesn’t sound equitable.

I’m not gonna pretend to know whos offering what, but I wouldn’t trust everything you read about who’s offering what. And to take it a step further there’s a big difference between what’s offered and doing enough to actually see that full amount.

Who knows maybe it’s better to be one of these schools to throw out a huge number and hide behind the contract and not pay it out.

A) I think you can try to explain it.

B) $600K compared to $650K isn’t far off. $600K compared to $800-$1M is pretty far off.

Nice sales pitch- it’s BS at this point in Pitinos career but is what it is. St John’s will struggle to score from the perimeter but will be lethal attacking the rim. Won’t have the interior presence they did this past year either. Good luck to Kadary with that roster.
Pitino has sent a lot of guys to the league and is a HOF coach. Richmond wanted to stay in NYC. Don’t like Pitino at all but he out recruited us on this one without an under the table payment. I was under the impression that Red, Griff and Straughn are elite recruiters.. Really like the 2 freshman we added and generally the portal adds. However, not getting the Fran vibes and relentless at all cost type of attitude. Richmond is a nice player but flawed IMO (Not a great shooter, pounds the ball, gets winded, takes plays off). Very good player and can win a few games by himself but he should have been in the NBA by now and he did not lead SH to much success either.

The posters who complain the loudest about the lack of NIL funds are usually the ones who contribute the least.
I pay zero. I will never pay NIL. It’s a matter of principle. If the team never wins another championship or isn’t competitive at the levels that I like because I didn’t contribute, so be it. Maybe I’ll deal with that, maybe I’ll just have to find another passion—after 40 years…. I’m still going to discuss NIL, recruiting that involves it, and various other peripheral matters. I may gripe about the system and value and related concepts. I won’t complain about whether we are paying enough or whether we have enough to pay. But there’s a fine line between the two sides.

This is all just insanely stupid, but I recognize that stupidity very frequently becomes the natural order of things in ‘culture.’ Doesn’t mean that I have to fall in line with it. Just that I have to live with the consequences of choosing a different direction.

Amazing, that this started because schools were making money and players thought they had a right to a share in it. And now, it doesn’t matter how much the schools profit, it’s the fans who have to pay. Maybe it gives some of you a closer sense of participation in the program and some sort of bond to the people you buy, and if that’s it, good for you.

Was kadary seriously visiting this weekend or was that just speculation? …I keep hearing on Twitter about some secret visitor

And I’ll say this. For those who want info about money. Cuse has offered a player 600k for a year and they said no and went elsewhere. Don’t want to hear they aren’t trying to pay bc they are. But these kids are just taking the highest offer and some pockets are deeper than others
It’s just crazy that crappy St. John’s has more NIL money than Syracuse. Never in a million years would I imagine that to be the case. I get they now have Rick and the Vitamin Water guy but that’s still mind boggling.

It’s just crazy that crappy St. John’s has more NIL money than Syracuse. Never in a million years would I imagine that to be the case. I get they now have Rick and the Vitamin Water guy but that’s still mind boggling.
I don’t think that’s why we missed out. It was Pitino and NYC ties after basketball, kids hometown

I was under the impression that Red, Griff and Straughn are elite recruiters..
whether they are good or very good at high school recruiting, that’s maybe 25% of the equation. The other 75% is rebuilding the roster through the portal every year and they’re underperforming in this area.

Did you boost about not paying the $100 for Leffew? Figuring it out means we all pay.
How is NIL being raised at other schools? I seriously doubt it’s a crowdfunding campaign that moves the needle. Vitamin water, scrap metal it’s all the same. Billionaires are generally going to be shady characters, but that’s where the lion’s share of the $ comes from. John and Kent need to decide if they want to be big time or small time.

So let’s say you’re $50,000 short for a prized player - are you really going to tell him to hang on while your school does a 24-hour Jerry Lewis telethon for the John Does to call in and donate $100 apiece? That’s not how the big schools play.

The BE schools don’t have to worry about funding two major sports either. They can focus all their NIL resources on hoops.

A) I think you can try to explain it.

B) $600K compared to $650K isn’t far off. $600K compared to $800-$1M is pretty far off.
Depends on where to? In New York, the taxes are pretty rough on 600k. In Ga, where we lost Leffew to, the taxes are much less.