Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

Any impression of whether the SU coaches would prefer bringing in Huerter in '16 or '17? I assume we need to have a better grasp of the scholarship situation and our appeal?
Right now I'm sure they would prefer 2017 because of the numbers, but know the kid is too good to spend two more years in HS. I think it'll depend on what happens with Gilbert and Simmons. I don't think Huerter is in any rush to make a college decision yet. So that should give the staff some time to see how things will shake out with the other guards and the appeal/scholarship situation.

Didn't i already post hurts so good for Moyer?

Crap, I'm a song klepto? :oops: I think it works better for Huerter, considering his name. Mea Culpa on the unintentional theft.

Crap, I'm a song klepto? :oops: I think it works better for Huerter, considering his name. Mea Culpa on the unintentional theft.
No worries at all, and you're right. It does work better for Huerter!

Hey Kevin, I bet that's a fine prep school. You should look into...preparing...for an extra season there. Ahem.
I was thinking if they negotiated a 2-4-1 special

I just want to say this again... I would be more than fine with KH if things fall through with TB. I really think this kid will be a stud college player wherever he goes.

In fact, I think he realistically could be at least as good as Battle as a freshman.

Best player to come out of Shen since Greg Koubek in 87... Dominated the Public High School AA State Tournament and was the MVP scoring 25 each against Mount Vernon in a 60-52 win and then Brentwood 76-63.

Huerter will be no lock to come to Cuse either. Maryland seems very interested, and if we get Battle, Huerter is also on Michigans wish list.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Kevin-Huerter-rallies-Shenendehowa-boys-6150520.php

http://poststar.com/sports/basketba...cle_c9e72f34-cbf7-11e4-a02f-3be567d56b2c.html

Measureables came in at 6'6 with a 6'6 wingspan at Nike Elite camp. Wish there were more reports about the camp to see how our targets are fairing...

I just posted this in the Duval thread.

"I'd love to get Duval but I'd not be bothered at all if we took Huerter in 17 if he was willing to prep, even if that meant we didn't get Duval. We would likely still have Howard around and possibly Joseph. At least one of those 2 as an experienced upperclassman PG. Duval is likely a 1nD.
Huerter would be around for a while and can play either guard spot while providing a huge shooting threat and his length is a perfect fit for our system. Imagine a kid coming in and playing like Andy Rautins did late in his junior season. If Huerter preps he's going to be coming in much more like an upperclassman Andy who could fit and play well with any combination of players.

I also get the impression that Duval will be hard to beat Lville out for."

I think Huerter if he came in 17 he would be able to contribute day one and be a star in our system as he progressed.

Last edited:

"I'd love to get Duval but I'd not be bothered at all if we took Huerter in 17 if he was willing to prep, even if that meant we didn't get Duval. We would likely still have Howard around and possibly Joseph. At least one of those 2 as an experienced upperclassman PG. Duval is likely a 1nD.
Huerter would be around for a while and can play either guard spot while providing a huge shooting threat and his length is a perfect fit for our system. Imagine a kid coming in and playing like Andy Rautins did late in his junior season. If Huerter preps he's going to be coming in much more like an upperclassman Andy who could fit and play well with any combination of players.

I think Huerter if he came in 17 would be able to contribute day one and be a star in our system as he progressed.

He came in at 169 lbs which is painfully thin, but he's still 16, so he may be still growing. My concern about waiting until 2017 for him is Michigan, Maryland, and Virginia are involved so it's not like we are the only P5 going after him like we were with Rautins. Hopefully our lead recruiter Matthew Moyer can work his magic.

He came in at 169 lbs which is painfully thin, but he's still 16, so he may be still growing. My concern about waiting until 2017 for him is Michigan, Maryland, and Virginia are involved so it's not like we are the only P5 going after him like we were with Rautins. Hopefully our lead recruiter Matthew Moyer can work his magic.

Agreed it would be a major win to get him to prep and come in in 17 especially with some really quality teams offering him in 16. Some of those teams would likely redshirt him however because of the weight and body development so at that point prepping and playing in 16 to be able to go to the school you really want in 17 makes sense. It comes down to how much he wants to play next season and if their is a good program that would put him in a good situation to get a lot of PT.

Agreed it would be a major win to get him to prep and come in in 17 especially with some really quality teams offering him in 16. Some of those teams would likely redshirt him however because of the weight and body development so at that point prepping and playing in 16 to be able to go to the school you really want in 17 makes sense. It comes down to how much he wants to play next season and if their is a good program that would put him in a good situation to get a lot of PT.

Yep. I think our sales pitch could be that no matter where he goes next year he more than likely red-shirts or at the very least sees limited minutes due to his size. He needs about 40 lbs of muscle which takes a few years to pack on. Our only chance I think, is if he really wants to come to cuse and is willing to bide his time. He has great schools after him, top academic institutions. Gonna be hard to get him to pay for a year of prep school.

It'll be interesting to see where he's ranked after the summer. Right now hes in the mid-70's, but the City Rocks qualified for the Peach Jam, and he's in LA now playing against all the top kids. Chances are if he is growing, that ranking is going to increase.

Yep. I think our sales pitch could be that no matter where he goes next year he more than likely red-shirts or at the very least sees limited minutes due to his size. He needs about 40 lbs of muscle which takes a few years to pack on. Our only chance I think, is if he really wants to come to cuse and is willing to bide his time. He has great schools after him, top academic institutions. Gonna be hard to get him to pay for a year of prep school.
Does top basketball talent generally pay to attend prep school (at hoops oriented schools)? I ask because IDK.

Does top basketball talent generally pay to attend prep school (at hoops oriented schools)? I ask because IDK.

I dont know either. Perhaps he gets a scholarship. I was only guessing too.

Notre Dame worries me the most. He fits the bill there perfectly.

I think Huerter if he came in 17 he would be able to contribute day one and be a star in our system as he progressed.

I agree with your line of thinking. I'm also inclined to think that if Tyus Battle goes elsewhere, the staff may make the offer to Huerter in '16, if they haven't already? I think Huerter's size and skill set make him a great get in either class, although, with our current scholarship situation, '17 would be ideal.

Agreed, that Duval has one and done written all over him, which isn't all bad given that 2017 he could have a really strong team around him to make a serious run:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom