Here is a question and a thought | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Here is a question and a thought

Red has to change the culture to rebuild the program.
That means no more guys who talk and complain endlessly instead of playing defense.

But can Red "change a culture" that seems to have evolved under his leadership?

Whatever our issues with Boeheim were, they weren't these. Even with many of the same players last year.

But booing former players who’ve transferred out is unacceptable!
These are professional athletes who’ve entered a profession where decisions have loud consequences.

Im sure they’d not hesitate to air it out and seek sympathy on social media post L

Well, the team was flawed. badly flawed. We had three guys playing out of position. We had only 1 guy who could make a 3 pt shot for most of the season. We had zero low post scoring. We had no depth. And we were changing defense for the first time in close to 30 years. And with all of that, we won 20 games. Ken Pom, who everyone loves, had us winning 12 before the season. And we even beat UNC. Who had two guys that are older than me. We beat older teams. And we sucked. Red did a terrific job with this group. Anyone that has ever coached, and I have, know, your opponent is your potential. Not the team you are playing.
I totally agree with everything you've stated. Most would agree this team exceeded expectations. With that said, this team quit during several games this season. Effort on defense got worse, that's not debatable. Isn't this a reflection on the coaches? You can't tolerate poor attitudes/lack of effort. I want to make it clear, I support the entire staff. There are far more positives than negatives from the past season, but this is concerning to me.

I totally agree with everything you've stated. Most would agree this team exceeded expectations. With that said, this team quit during several games this season. Effort on defense got worse, that's not debatable. Isn't this a reflection on the coaches? You can't tolerate poor attitudes/lack of effort. I want to make it clear, I support the entire staff. There are far more positives than negatives from the past season, but this is concerning to me.
I agree with everything you just wrote. The problem was not having guys that we could go to that could replace the quitters. Our bench was just too short.

Yes the bottom of the roster needs to be improved. Along with the top of it. We used to have a First rounder. Haven't had one for a while. We have guys who are the focal point who used to be 6-8 man on the roster on good teams.

These are professional athletes who’ve entered a profession where decisions have loud consequences.

Im sure they’d not hesitate to air it out and seek sympathy on social media post L
Do you remember all the issues with the HS kids going to the NBA? It was a staggering %, nothing wrong with making big bucks when you’re young, but it can have so many bad effects.

2 other guards with as many 2pa and 3pa that shot that poorly from 3 in their fresh and soph years since 92-93
My perspective on the season is that Mintz was probably the least impactful 19 ppg scorer I’ve ever seen in my life. There wasn’t a single time the entire season when I thought “ok, this is when Mintz steps it up and closes out this game.” Not once. The games we did win, it felt like it was either Bell shooting out of his mind, Q making key defensive plays and getting to the line because the other team couldn’t handle his size, or Starling stepping up. The one game he had 13 assists was the one time I felt that he controlled the game and brought home a victory. When I think of this year, the lasting image in my brain will be Mintz driving towards the basket, firing a line drive laser beam at the front of the rim, diving on his ass and begging the ref for a foul while the other team scores on a fast break.

I agree with everything you just wrote. The problem was not having guys that we could go to that could replace the quitters. Our bench was just too short.
Gene Hackman would’ve played the walk-ons. And the fans would want Red to be fired if we went 6-25. Red could have leverage if Freeman coming here was attached to his tenure.

My perspective on the season is that Mintz was probably the least impactful 19 ppg scorer I’ve ever seen in my life. There wasn’t a single time the entire season when I thought “ok, this is when Mintz steps it up and closes out this game.” Not once. The games we did win, it felt like it was either Bell shooting out of his mind, Q making key defensive plays and getting to the line because the other team couldn’t handle his size, or Starling stepping up. The one game he had 13 assists was the one time I felt that he controlled the game and brought home a victory. When I think of this year, the lasting image in my brain will be Mintz driving towards the basket, firing a line drive laser beam at the front of the rim, diving on his ass and begging the ref for a foul while the other team scores on a fast break.
Bingo on everything! And I’ve written about your last scenario multiple times!

You didn’t think he ever “closed a game” because he was the only consistent player, whenever anyone else did anything good it was like the team won the lottery

Last edited:
Here's my question and thought. It seems to be confirmed that we have/had several cancers on the team throughout the season. Other than Benny, there didn't seem to be an issues coming into this season with attitudes on the team. The disrespect that Red allowed on the court this season (yapping at players, opposing coaches, refs, etc) has never occurred in the past. According to our insiders, it appears it was much worse behind the scenes. At some point, isn't this a reflection on Red and the staff?
Confirmed?

This thread is interesting to read again. From Nov 22

If they were to end up at GTown, I would love to watch Red have his defense sag off of them to a disrespectful extent and make them shoot threes. We’d win by 30.
32-2? That’s solid defense by the Orange.

I agree with him being the least impactful 19 ppg scorer. The problem with his game is that if he's not getting fouls called, he's largely ineffective. He doesn't have much else he can do reliably (although his mid range is pretty good). He shoots only 28% from 3pt and doesn't make many plays for others (and he's a PG).

That all said, not sure how you could say that he didn't close out some games this year. He was very instrumental in many of our wins.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom