Garrett Williams and Field Turf | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams and Field Turf

Sure, it could start earlier and likely does with the way artificial surfaces have filtered down.

To look at the differences between sports, you'd have to analyze how the athletes move. I can't say for sure, but I suspect football has more hard cutting than the others you mentioned. That would place more stress on the joints. We know that football players are significantly bigger and more powerful than those other sports (maybe not as big a difference with lacrosse, but I think the movements are different). That has to be factored in.
Football being a full contact sport makes a huge difference, from other sports.

Football being a full contact sport makes a huge difference, from other sports.
I think people are talking more about the non-contact injuries. Despite that, it's easy to see how even the contact that doesn't result directly in an injury could contribute to the trauma that leads to one.

An article from Fox News on 11/12 discusses different types of field turf and relationship to injuries.

NFLPA calls for 'immediate replacement and ban' from slit-firm turf fields​

Travis and Jason Kelce recently called out NFL for the issue​

What type of turf is in the JMA Dome?

An article from Fox News on 11/12 discusses different types of field turf and relationship to injuries.

NFLPA calls for 'immediate replacement and ban' from slit-firm turf fields​

Travis and Jason Kelce recently called out NFL for the issue​

What type of turf is in the JMA Dome?

I believe Fieldturf plus is a slit firm turf surface

The NFL is questioning replacing a certain turf that is being blamed for the cause of non hit injuries. Do we have the same turf. With some of the Cuse players injuries without a hit makes me wonder

But, they so play away games on artificial. The key isn't what type their home field is, but what type of field were the injuries incurred on.
While that is certainly true that data would be better but is less easily obtained. if you automatically play half your games on one surface there should be a good correlation to observe.

Can we just use a concrete tarvia next year? I mean didn't we all play football in parking lots during recess in grade school right? I'm ok losing a player for a few weeks, but we just can't afford the season-ending ACLs like some other teams.
I mean I assume you are joking around, but I remember a CFL game, one they played indoors where the surface was concrete. They lay down this thin layer of rubber/foam, <1/4" thick, you could see it at the back of the end zone when the concrete stuck out, thin, and then the old fashion plastic turf on top.

Only problem was there was a head impact that day, ambulance, spine board, whole nine yards. I remember thinking damn, that is practically like an impact on concrete. Whatever they are paying them, it ain't enough.

ACL injuries, suck, especially for a short-career athlete, but they do beat paralysis all day long.

ACL injuries, suck, especially for a short-career athlete, but they do beat paralysis all day long.
So true. I remember the competition between those two on Wide World of Sports in 1973. It was while I was waiting for Evel Knievel to jump the Snake River Canyon.

Figured this belongs here, more discussion and evidence of what seems to be becoming obvious.

Figured this belongs here, more discussion and evidence of what seems to be becoming obvious.

The logic is sound of course

I always wonder why they don't just start with the footware. For example make the 7 cleat screw-in’s illegal on turf. Make them 1/8 inch molded cleats or less.

We could make this change much easier and quicker than overhauling fields

more slipping, less injuries (not to mention what we would do with in door facilities)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom