Generally when we're on the bubble... | Syracusefan.com

Generally when we're on the bubble...

RF2044

Living Legend
...we're limping toward the finish line, hoping that we've done "enough" to qualify, or that those around us lose to bump us up.

This year feels a lot different. We're 3-1 in our last four, including a couple of very impressive blowout wins against teams that beat us earlier in the year. We've won 7 out of our last 9. We took the #1 seed in the ACCT to the wire, and lost on a buzzer beater.

This team -- which was so awful defensively earlier in the year, and so inept for long stretches offensively -- has really peaked and gotten into a groove. We're going to be a dangerous team to face in the NCAA tournament, WHEN we qualify.

I'm massively opposed to later season games, records or streaks having more value than earlier ones. So many problems with that. What if S.U. tanks later on (which does happen in some seasons)? What if other teams benefit from it, to the detriment of S.U.?

if you looked at the 10-12/Bubble seeds right now

Gt is playing well

MSU/Rutgers/Lou are not

Maryland/UCLA Ok

Col St/Boise/Utah st./memphis Ehh

Xavier is out

I'm massively opposed to later season games, records or streaks having more value than earlier ones. So many problems with that. What if S.U. tanks later on (which does happen in some seasons)? What if other teams benefit from it, to the detriment of S.U.?
on the other hand, they are trying to find the best teams. What says more about your team, a win in November in the a tournament or a hot finish. I want the teams playing the best at the end of the season.

on the other hand, they are trying to find the best teams. What says more about your team, a win in November in the a tournament or a hot finish. I want the teams playing the best at the end of the season.

Yeah well if they did that we would have been out in 2016 and 2018.

I want SU to get in. I could care less how or why.

March Madness sucks when we’re not playing in it. These are not times for moral consistency.

Yeah well if they did that we would have been out in 2016 and 2018.
We would have to check what other teams did at the end of the year. It isn't just us.

In previous bubble years we had major swoons either early on or later in the season. This year we had a couple losses early then another small streak but overall nothing nearly as damning as in other bubble years. We have always been right there and finished the season on a solid note.

We found our groove and have the look of a team that can advance to the second weekend.

if you looked at the 10-12/Bubble seeds right now

Gt is playing well

MSU/Rutgers/Lou are not

Maryland/UCLA Ok

Col St/Boise/Utah st./memphis Ehh

Xavier is out
MSU has beat currently ranked #3 Illinois, #4 Michigan and #9 OSU.
They should be ahead of us. The rest I agree and Boise should be out too

It shouldn't be THE variable to determine who gets invited, but if/when the resumes of two bubble teams are roughly equal, the team that's doing better at the end of the season should get the nod. Seems like a no brainer...

added...
The idea that some Syracuse fans would argue for "the whole body of work" if their team is flailing at the end of the season (injuries, whatever) is indeed predictable, but it would be a flawed argument. We are not talking about two equally valid arguments.

The "whole body of work" argument is simply wrong IF your purpose is to bring together all the best teams in the country together in a season-ending tournament who are observably the best teams in the country at the time the tournament begins.

This makes sense if you acknowledge that all teams improve over the course of a season, some more so than others. The tournament is supposed to decide which of the Div 1 teams have improved so much that they are at the end of the season the best team in the land.

Can this be disputed?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom