Geno Smith - what did John Idzig think he knew that everyone in the Big East didn't? | Syracusefan.com

Geno Smith - what did John Idzig think he knew that everyone in the Big East didn't?

Crusty

Living Legend
I am constantly surprised how much NFL GM's stretch to find lightening in a bottle. They seem to ignore such obvious things. All Idzig had to do was look at our games. We beat Geno 3 times in a row because of our blitzing style of play. He so clearly got rattled by the pressure that it was obvious to even casual observers. The Jets would have been better off with Nassib.

I am constantly surprised how much NFL GM's stretch to find lightening in a bottle. They seem to ignore such obvious things. All Idzig had to do was look at our games. We beat Geno 3 times in a row because of our blitzing style of play. He so clearly got rattled by the pressure that it was obvious to even casual observers. The Jets would have been better off with Nassib.

Aw come on! Three interceptions in the first quarter ain't so bad! :rolleyes:

Is it true that if you hit what you are aiming at it really isn't an interception, but more like a completion?

I don't know. He had good games against other teams.

I kind of think NFL teams should try more guys at QB, not less. Sometimes you get a Kurt Warner or Tony Romo or Tom Brady.

I kind of think NFL teams should try more guys at QB, not less. Sometimes you get a Kurt Warner or Tony Romo or Tom Brady.
They paid next to nothing to try both those guys. I'm all for that.

As a die hard jets fan, I have to admit that Idzik is not doing a great job. Failing to pick up a corner in the free agent market is inexcusable and I think he just wanted to get Rex out of here (Rex has the support of Woody Johnson) and replace him with Darrell Bevell. Drafting Milliner who can never stay healthy and Geno who plummeted for a reason were huge mistakes. The jets season coupled with the underwhelming Cuse season has me hating football at the moment.

The NFL is, and will be for the foreseeable future, a league for the pocket passer. Yes, there have been flashes of QB's that use their mobility for short-term success (Peete, Vick, Newton and a couple others come to mind), but long-term success comes with a QB that can sit in the pocket, read a defense and deliver the ball (even the Eagles with their go-go offense have a pocket passer run it). Geno can't do any of those.

i don't think they were nuts for giving him a shot last year. but they were nuts for giving him another shot this year.

i was like a jets fan rooting for smith to stop sucking so much - if he doesn't stop sucking they're going to have to pull him!

i don't think they were nuts for giving him a shot last year. but they were nuts for giving him another shot this year.
I don't know. How could you not give him another shot? They were a little better than expected last season. He made a few plays. The leash should have been short, but I don't think you pull the plud.

I don't know. How could you not give him another shot? They were a little better than expected last season. He made a few plays. The leash should have been short, but I don't think you pull the plud.
that sounds way too dirty for this board

he sucked last year.

teams would be better off benching players that stink, even when they're young

hes a 2nd rounder. its not the end of the world, sanchez sucking was.

nassib, imo, at least wouldnt have missesd team meetings and would seem to be more engaged into making himself into a better player, but he was further from ready than geno was/is.

marcus mariota...id give archie a call on how to work the draft, otherwise...

When you’re a Jet,
You’re a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin’ day.

Group hug for Geno
12054254-large.jpg

That's why you don't hire a bean counter as GM, you hire a proven evaluator of talent who has successfully built a team before. Bad move by Woody Johnson to hire Idzik.

That is still fewer turnovers than Pitt had in the first quarter this weekend.

Geno has all the physical skills to be an NFL quarterback. It amazes me he scored above average on the wonderlic but what do I know. I'd probably do worse.

Many felt Geno had his best game as a Jet the week before against New England.
The Patriots literally played that game on fumes 4th game in 18 days. I realize all teams will play on Thursday night, but there was no game plan and the Jets ran the ball really well to make it easy for Geno Smith. The Jets should keep playing him so they end up 3-13 and can choose from Mariotta, Winston or Connor Cook. If you suck then you want to bottom out mediocrity is the worst thing you can be.

Geno Smith has played in 24 games and thrown 31 INTs. That is just not an NFL starter in this you can't touch a QB or its penalty ERA. Maybe 10-20 years young QBs struggled like that early even Peyton Manning's rookie year, but nowadays QBs can play decent if they have talent.

Hell Geno Smith makes Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder or Jake Locker look decent.

I think Tahj Boyd is 1-2 in the FXFL

#goACC
I had to look up what the FXFL was.

I can say right now it's going to fail like other feeder leagues, because it's competing directly with NFL markets. There needs to be teams in semi-large cities with no pro football option. They need to model themselves after the NBA D-League.

I would definitely pull the plud.