Georgetown just lost their star Ike to transfer...should be easy pickins for the Orange now? | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown just lost their star Ike to transfer...should be easy pickins for the Orange now?

eagle54

Walk On
Thinking the 6'9" Ike Copeland who might be the best recruit Hoyas have had since Otto leaving the school is not what the Hoyas needed with the turmoil that surrounds this program. Seems to be playing straight into the Orange's hands. Peak and Pryor will still be there but no Ike could mean tough sledding for the Hoya team.

I'm thinking it's a at least a Cuse cover if not a bludgeoning.

Not really, he has not been a factor this year at all and has been disappointing to Hoya fans. Hoyas match up well with us and will be a close game if our shots fall. They killed us in the paint last year and we actually look worse defensively this year.
He's their glue and you don't get it. Broke a bone in his eye in Maui but can't argue the athleticism as he'd be a star on the Orange or the Hoyas if healthy.

I love it when new people to the board get snippy with people who have been on this board for years...

I hear you brother, but I can understand it at least, and go with the flow when in the right mood. You then get to see the person evolve as a poster, possibly similar to myself of anyone on here. I seem to recall that in the beginning I was a more typical poster, but for some reason changed into someone who likes to share when I have a different perspective. Give the new guys(and peace lol) a chance, AFO! LGO!

EDIT: I just noticed there were 2 posters in the thread that were brand new, and I welcome it! Im often the suspicious type, but they seem enthusiastic enough...and are putting out new perspectives to dissect, so I give this thread a thumbs up(even if the premise is rejected, maybe we can "turn" these guys! ;) ). I was hoping to see more replies to the title, which to me is clickbait until more members weigh in!

Last edited:
He hasnt improved at all since his freshman year, him transferring doesnt hurt them at all tbh. Derrickson , Agau, Johnson have taken his minutes. The guys we have to contain are Pryor, Peak, and Govan ( who scares the crap out of me against the zone). Will be a very close game

Thinking the 6'9" Ike Copeland who might be the best recruit Hoyas have had since Otto leaving the school is not what the Hoyas needed with the turmoil that surrounds this program. Seems to be playing straight into the Orange's hands. Peak and Pryor will still be there but no Ike could mean tough sledding for the Hoya team.

I'm thinking it's a at least a Cuse cover if not a bludgeoning.

I have seen absolutely nothing from this team yet this year to think that this game is a layup. Georgetown is quite possibly a better team then UConn, and they gave us fits last year in the paint. Can we win this game? Yes. Can we lose this game? Definitely. There are no absolutes in rivalry games.

Hayes is 7'0" and weighs 275. Too quick for Coleman and too big for Lydon. He killed SU last year and could do the same this year. SU is more talented than Georgetown but they hit us in our Achilles heel -- rebounding.

Hayes is 7'0" and weighs 275. Too quick for Coleman and too big for Lydon. He killed SU last year and could do the same this year. SU is more talented than Georgetown but they hit us in our Achilles heel -- rebounding.
eh I hear you but Hayes is not too quick for anyone - he was just bigger/stronger than anyone on the court last year and had a career game, hopefully won't happen again. now Govan on the other hand is actually somewhat athletic, almost as big as Hayes and is the real inside threat against us

I have seen absolutely nothing from this team yet this year to think that this game is a layup. Georgetown is quite possibly a better team then UConn, and they gave us fits last year in the paint. Can we win this game? Yes. Can we lose this game? Definitely. There are no absolutes in rivalry games.

The needed elements are there for this to happen naturally, or for the Cuse to win big. Like often, Im hoping to see JB spark some magick, and the team to shift gears to a new level of play like in a video game. Right now the level has been so low it's pathetic for SU tradition, but all of the necessary elements are there for a DEEP run, if Boeheim and the team can discover what works for them. Im sticking to my semi-obvious statement that this team will be a product of JB, and his adjustements. Come on JB, keep us proud and let's get this done.

In the team's current state, this would be a big win regardless of Georgetown's RPI/ect value. The team could really use the taste of winning. If the older fans who still hate Georgetown were able to somewhat impart their emotion to the players who are too young to remember the rivalry and then lay a beating on Georgetown, that could be what gets things started. Sometimes it just takes that first taste of blood, and Georgetown would be a great victim, in my opinion!

Last edited:
I hope you are all right but personally I am at a loss to see how any game against any level of the "big boys", can be seen as an easy win with the sample size we have seen. I hope I'm wrong, but I am sensing an ugly dog fight where neither team can demonstrate any type of skilled offense.

I hope you are all right but personally I am at a loss to see how any game against any level of the "big boys", can be seen as an easy win with the sample size we have seen. I hope I'm wrong, but I am sensing an ugly dog fight where neither team can demonstrate any type of skilled offense.

Yup. 0-3 in games against major schools. UConn was missing people too. No such thing as easy pickings for us at this point. I'll be thrilled with a win of any type.

Yup. 0-3 in games against major schools. UConn was missing people too. No such thing as easy pickings for us at this point. I'll be thrilled with a win of any type.
Heck I'd almost settle for a moral win at this point seeing as we came away feeling like crap in those other 3 games.

Heck I'd almost settle for a moral win at this point seeing as we came away feeling like crap in those other 3 games.

Im sure at some point if a prophet told fans of an imepending loss, that they would still relish a quality loss for the tournament resume. It's amazing to me how this game has become a living science, ever evolving for fans and others. I guess in some rating systems moral victories DO account for something?

who in this thread (or anywhere else, really) besides the OP (who I'm sensing might just be a troll) is saying this is an easy win?

Are you implying Georgetown is a 'big boy'?

I hate the Hoyas but...they are still a physical team (as GT always is) and our recent record against physical teams is not good.

Is there a decent H.S. in the area (J-D?) who can come in this week so we can scrimmage to practice against a decent M2M? JB has said the team cannot play man so one would think the M2M we are going against in practice is garbage. Every time we see good M2M the past few years they can't score or they look shell-shocked. It's unreal.

Do they still have that big stiff who does nothing against everybody but dropped 20 on Lydon?

I don't see this one being a walkover.