Get a grip people | Syracusefan.com

Get a grip people

SU2NASA

All American
I'm amazed that this has all blown up to the ridiculousness it has. Actually, I'm not.

One moron on a West Virginia message board throws out a "rumor", one blog runs with it, people that read the blog run with it on twitter, multiple blogs pick it up, the mouthbreathers of the mainstream media take it as "multiple confirmed reports", and then one moron connected with a school says something stupid, and then you have a blazing fire and everyone freaking the out.

In the offseason, with little else to discuss, let's all hail the end of the world. Screw logic.

- Florida State had no interest in Texas coming to the ACC, so now they're supposedly ready to jump-ship and go to the Big 12, where they'll go from being a big fish in a little pond to being a smaller fish than Texas or Oklahoma.

- The only person from Florida State that has said anything which people are using as confirmation is someone who was easily proven to have no idea what he was talking about, and the only person from Clemson is the coach, who also said nothing about any discussions.

- There is a zero-percent chance that Virginia Tech leaves without Virginia given the history of what the Virginia legislature did for them, and the even greater power that UVa wields in the state.

- Now we have everyone throwing things at the wall hoping they stick. I see crap like on MGoBlog of rumors and ideas of Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia to the Big Ten; Miami to the Big 12 with FSU; the crap commuter school Louisville to the ACC; NC State to the SEC; Baylor to the ACC on here? seriously?!?; Boise State to the Pac-12; and so on.

- The power of the ACC is concentrated with FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, and you can argue Clemson. With the Big 12 it's Texas and Oklahoma, and with Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, and Texas A&M leaving, how the hell is this is a better football conference top to bottom?!?

- Florida State and Clemson are supposedly going to give up playing conference games in all sports in the eastern timezone to take their baseball, volleyball, swimming, track, and every sport to Ames, IA, Waco, Texas, Stillwater, Oklahoma, Manhattan, Kansas, Lubbock, Texas, Lawrence, Kansas, Dallas, Texas, Norman, Oklahoma, and Austin, Texas. If this is supposedly for money, the cost to take every team out there instead of having a good number of bus trips is going to be insane - the closest school is WVU at 830 miles from Tallahessee, and the next closest is friggin' Dallas.

I'm still waiting for all of those confirmed reports last year of Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech to the Pac-12, and Missouri to the Big Ten, and Rutgers to the Big Ten, and Texas to the Big Ten. This is the Frank the Tank and PurpleBookCat game plan. Throw enough crap at a wall that maybe something will stick.

This is all mind-boggling that everyone is acting like the sky is falling. The Big 12 and SEC have an agreement to have their champions play in a bowl game... if there was a four-team playoff with the conference champions in the top-6 format, this would have happened how many times in the past 10 years? zero?

We are far better off in the ACC, and with its number of large state schools, and ones with significant football tradition, it'll always have a seat at the table.

i hope you are right.

im on team su2nasa... although is nasa still alive?

I'm amazed that this has all blown up to the ridiculousness it has. Actually, I'm not.

One moron on a West Virginia message board throws out a "rumor", one blog runs with it, people that read the blog run with it on twitter, multiple blogs pick it up, the mouthbreathers of the mainstream media take it as "multiple confirmed reports", and then one moron connected with a school says something stupid, and then you have a blazing fire and everyone freaking the **** out.

In the offseason, with little else to discuss, let's all hail the end of the world. Screw logic.

- Florida State had no interest in Texas coming to the ACC, so now they're supposedly ready to jump-ship and go to the Big 12, where they'll go from being a big fish in a little pond to being a smaller fish than Texas or Oklahoma.

- The only person from Florida State that has said anything which people are using as confirmation is someone who was easily proven to have no idea what he was talking about, and the only person from Clemson is the coach, who also said nothing about any discussions.

- There is a zero-percent chance that Virginia Tech leaves without Virginia given the history of what the Virginia legislature did for them, and the even greater power that UVa wields in the state.

- Now we have everyone throwing things at the wall hoping they stick. I see crap like on MGoBlog of rumors and ideas of Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia to the Big Ten; Miami to the Big 12 with FSU; the crap commuter school Louisville to the ACC; NC State to the SEC; Baylor to the ACC on here? seriously?!?; Boise State to the Pac-12; and so on.

- The power of the ACC is concentrated with FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, and you can argue Clemson. With the Big 12 it's Texas and Oklahoma, and with Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, and Texas A&M leaving, how the hell is this is a better football conference top to bottom?!?

- Florida State and Clemson are supposedly going to give up playing conference games in all sports in the eastern timezone to take their baseball, volleyball, swimming, track, and every sport to Ames, IA, Waco, Texas, Stillwater, Oklahoma, Manhattan, Kansas, Lubbock, Texas, Lawrence, Kansas, Dallas, Texas, Norman, Oklahoma, and Austin, Texas. If this is supposedly for money, the cost to take every team out there instead of having a good number of bus trips is going to be insane - the closest school is WVU at 830 miles from Tallahessee, and the next closest is friggin' Dallas.

I'm still waiting for all of those confirmed reports last year of Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech to the Pac-12, and Missouri to the Big Ten, and Rutgers to the Big Ten, and Texas to the Big Ten. This is the Frank the Tank and PurpleBookCat game plan. Throw enough crap at a wall that maybe something will stick.

This is all mind-boggling that everyone is acting like the sky is falling. The Big 12 and SEC have an agreement to have their champions play in a bowl game... if there was a four-team playoff with the conference champions in the top-6 format, this would have happened how many times in the past 10 years? zero?

We are far better off in the ACC, and with its number of large state schools, and ones with , it'll always have a seat at the table.

Excellent Rant! Nicely Done!

Amen. The only angle that should concern anyone is the FSU deficit problem in their athletic department. But if they can't figure out how to balance their budget, and end up chasing money - no matter what, to the exclusion of every other consideration - then they are just plain stupid stupid stupid stupid. And you can't argue with stupid.

Nice rant SU2NASA. I must, however, quibble with this:

"The power of the ACC is concentrated with FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, and you can argue Clemson. With the Big 12 it's Texas and Oklahoma, and with Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, and Texas A&M leaving, how the hell is this is a better football conference top to bottom?!?"

You appear to have forgotten that the Big 12 acquired TCU and, more importantly, West Virginia University. Need I say more?

...and there in is the concern...this all makes sense!! So why should it be the outcome?

You appear to have forgotten that the Big 12 acquired TCU and, more importantly, West Virginia University. Need I say more?

You appear to think TCU is worth alot more than they are. There is a reason they were going to the Big East and the SEC took A & M rather than TCU. What they are now is decent team that is glue so UT and OU can keep their conference together.

What was WVU before 2004? Adding them doesn't account for the departure of aTm, Nebraska or Missouri. It may be a wash with Colorado.

So essentially they've added Colorado back and another Texas tech and lost 3 big programs in the meantime. That's a big net loss.

You appear to think TCU is worth alot more than they are. There is a reason they were going to the Big East and the SEC took A & M rather than TCU. What they are now is decent team that is glue so UT and OU can keep their conference together.

What was WVU before 2004? Adding them doesn't account for the departure of aTm, Nebraska or Missouri. It may be a wash with Colorado.

So essentially they've added Colorado back and another Texas tech and lost 3 big programs in the meantime. That's a big net loss.

I'm not positive, but I think that was a sarcastic post by MaxwellCuse. At least, that's the way I took it.

Pretty sure he was kidding.

I'm not positive, but I think that was a sarcastic post by MaxwellCuse. At least, that's the way I took it.

Apologies if so. I've seen people honestly trying to make this arguement though which is bizarre to me.

We are far better off in the ACC, and with its number of large state schools, and ones with significant football tradition, it'll always have a seat at the table.

i agree it is all insane, however the people who come up with the rumors are on the same idiotic level as the ones who get to make the decision. throw at a dartboard and you have better luck predicting what will happen vs trying to read and think logically.

the thing i have always been confused about is why all this chaos is being caused for such marginal gains. is the difference between 16, 17, or 18 million really going to change a school that much? some of these schools have hundreds of millions in endowment where one bad day on the stock market can cause a $20M+ change.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=188199

This video sez it is legit...we'll see if cooler heads prevail.

You can take the Board of Trustees meeting in one of two ways:

1) Clemson wants to pursue moving to the Big 12 so they're getting the ball rolling, or

2) With all of the mass panic and idiocy coming from the FSU BoT, Clemson wants to get together, see where everyone is at, and discuss it so they're all on the same page and will put out a unified statement affirming their lack of interest or not.

I'm choosing the second. If Clemson did have the intention to leave, they would already know where they were going and would be doing a procedural vote to give the President the authority to move conferences.

But that isn't interesting and is too logical given the way universities do business.

simpsons-kent-brochman-hail-ants-welcome-overlords.jpg

How many hours have been wasted debating different conference alignment scenarios over the past 6 or so years?

Bottom-line, financially its nice being in a power conference but on field success for programs like SU is going to be based more on coaching than conference alignment.

Look at BCU - they are cashing bigger checks but their football and bb suck right now.

We call those people "West Virginia fans" couchburn

Could be but I've seen it written alot of places online and there can't be that many WVU fans with "the internet" or that can read and/or write.

Could be but I've seen it written alot of places online and there can't be that many WVU fans with "the internet" or that can read and/or write.

You might be surprised at the number of West Virginians who can more or less read and/or write. How would you expect a romantically inclined young Mountaineer to be able to carve the name of his cousin into an old hickory tree if he was a total illiterate?

It makes me laugh you all assume it is instantly WVU fans who concoct this whole scheme to get things going. There seems to be a lot of hostility towards West Virginia on this board for some odd reason. I've been born and raised Syracuse but I am missing that whole connection and yes, I have checked out their message boards because of this. They seem to have taken and ran with the stories just as everyone here has. There are only 2 things I've heard that I believe so far out of the hundreds

You might be surprised at the number of West Virginians who can more or less read and/or write. How would you expect a romantically inclined young Mountaineer to be able to carve the name of his cousin into an old hickory tree if he was a total illiterate?

True but look at your keyboard. Even if they know the ABC song, the order of the keys will frusterate them into submission.

There seems to be a lot of hostility towards West Virginia on this board for some odd reason.

My hostility towards WVU has nothing to do with these rumors. They're the closest thing we've had to a meaningful conference game since 2003 and the only BE team that has been consistanly good enough to care about (thanks to Pat White and co). I've wanted to beat them every year as far as I can remember though specifically due to Bulger and Amos Zereoue. Also, their fan behavior has been well chronicled and deserving of both critism and admiration depending how you look at it. Rabid fanbase that shows up no matter what... and drags folks out of their cars, burns couches, wears tasteless shirts, etc.

Shame their academics are so poor or they would be in the ACC with us right now. i enjoyed playing them and disliking them.

It makes me laugh you all assume it is instantly WVU fans who concoct this whole scheme to get things going. There seems to be a lot of hostility towards West Virginia on this board for some odd reason. I've been born and raised Syracuse but I am missing that whole connection and yes, I have checked out their message boards because of this. They seem to have taken and ran with the stories just as everyone here has. There are only 2 things I've heard that I believe so far out of the hundreds

F!_!ck West Virginia.

You're assuming he can actually spell his cousin's name and that his cousin is actually his cousin as opposed to his sister or brother-in-law. Not so fast.