Getting to know the Final Four: Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Getting to know the Final Four: Syracuse

Real Radio

Walk On
My name is Nick Rizner, and I am a March Madness beat writer for a website called On Campus Sports. As one of their top writers, I have been selected to do extensive Final Four coverage, specifically focusing on the Syracuse Orange. For my first article, I rank the top five greatest teams in Syracuse history, as well as the top five greatest players of all time. I also break down how this year's squad stacks up with the best of the best. Please check it out by hitting the link below, and feel free to comment with your own opinions, whether you agree or disagree with my analysis. Thanks in advance for your support!

"Getting to know the Final Four: Syracuse": http://oncampussports.com/2013/04/getting-to-know-the-final-four-syracuse/

My name is Nick Rizner, and I am a March Madness beat writer for a website called On Campus Sports. As one of their top writers, I have been selected to do extensive Final Four coverage, specifically focusing on the Syracuse Orange. For my first article, I rank the top five greatest teams in Syracuse history, as well as the top five greatest players of all time. I also break down how this year's squad stacks up with the best of the best. Please check it out by hitting the link below, and feel free to comment with your own opinions, whether you agree or disagree with my analysis. Thanks in advance for your support!

"Getting to know the Final Four: Syracuse": http://oncampussports.com/2013/04/getting-to-know-the-final-four-syracuse/
based on your choices for best team and players, im going to go ahead and assume you are under 20.

nice puncuation though.

spell check works.

Certainly an interesting article. Today's a big day and I have some things I need to get done so I can't get into all the things I disagree with right now, but I definitely appreciate the effort and find it interesting to see an outsider's look at our all time top teams and players. I'll give it a better looking over later, but wanted to thank you now and quickly say it was "top-heavy" in it's rating toward relatively recent teams and players, in my opinion.

Top 5 Greatest Syracuse Teams (Boeheim Era, not counting this season)

1. 1988-89 (Sherman Douglas' senior season, Lost in Elite 8)
2. 2009-10 (before Onuaku injury)
3. 1986-87 (Lost in national championship game)
4. 2002-03 (National champions)
5. 1995-96 (Lost in national championship game)
5b. 2011-12 (before Melo suspension)

I just noticed you don't have Sherman Douglas in the top 5 Syracuse players.

Dude...

Top 5 Greatest Syracuse Teams (Boeheim Era, not counting this season)

1. 1988-89 (Sherman Douglas' senior season, Lost in Elite 8)
2. 2009-10 (before Onuaku injury)
3. 1986-87 (Lost in national championship game)
4. 2002-03 (National champions)
5. 1995-96 (Lost in national championship game)
5b. 2011-12 (before Melo suspension)
yeah, those are probably the finalists. i want to put the 78-79 louie and bouie show in there, but the S16 end makes it tough.

i think the 12 team is better than the 10.

id go

1. '03
2. '89
3. '12
4. '87
5a. '10
5b. '96
5c. '79

as far as players go...im going DC, but if one throws Bing at me, ive got nothing. throw Melo at me and i counter with 4 years.

Gerry overall???? Hak, but no Billy??Flynn, but no Sherm?? ever hear of PEARL WASHINGTON?? jeesh.

Oh Lord

Appreciate the time and effort. As you will learn in this thread, your top 5 players is off by quite a bit ommitting some greats and your top 5 teams are off as well.

But again, thanks for the time (especially as a UConn fan) and I'm sure we can all agree on one thing... Georgetown sucks.

Mr.Rizner is UConn class of 2013.

Now it all makes sense ... since nobody in CT ever heard of hoops until 1999.

Nick, you need to do serious examination of your 5 best players. Start with the numbers retired in the Dome and go from there.

Yeah it's a nice effort for a young non-fan but man, that top 5 players is a bit ridiculous. I love GMac but #1 overall, ever? He doesn't crack the top 5.

Bing
Melo
DC
Pearl
Sherm
Billy O
Rony
John Wallace
Moten

These among others belong ahead of Mac, Hak, and Flynn (nice little law firm there).

1. Carmelo Anthony
2. Derrick Coleman
3. Dave Bing
4. Sherman Douglas
5. Pearl Washington

Most Under rated : Lawerence Moten

1. 2003
2. 1989
3. 2010
4. 1987
5 2012

under rated 1991. would have been #5 if not for inexplicable choke job against Richmond

A decent stab which conveys a mostly neo-centric perception of the program. That is understandable based on the age of the writer. The Syracuse program is steeped in tradition over what seems an infinitely longer period of time than that of the Connecticut Huskies. To rank GMAC as #1 is just silly. The most spirited to ever wear Orange, or the grittiest, perhaps. It takes the passage of time or a commitment to researching the programs history to write an article with any semblance of gravitas. All that having been said, it was well written.

I just noticed you don't have Sherman Douglas in the top 5 Syracuse players.

Dude...

Don't worry, I'm rectifying this injustice by wearing my Sherman Douglas jersey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom