Girard vs P5 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Girard vs P5

Honest question about Girard. Was he a decent defensive player in high school? Many offense minded guys like him only pretend to play defense.

I'm worried he's not all that interested in the D.

Honest question about Girard. Was he a decent defensive player in high school? Many offense minded guys like him only pretend to play defense.

I’m not pretending to know the answer to this question but I think he’s an opportunistic defender. That’s neither compliment nor insult, necessarily. But in high school in upstate ny you can use quick hands and good instincts to pile up steals but maybe not play great overall defense. In high level d-I they obviously expect more.

I actually think he’s ok but struggling with transition defense in particular. Think he’ll be fine but we’re getting torched by better teams (sadly they’re better).

Bottom line is he’s got a big adjustment and it hasn’t gone great against better teams. Hopefully it improves ...

I’m not pretending to know the answer to this question but I think he’s an opportunistic defender. That’s neither compliment nor insult, necessarily. But in high school in upstate ny you can use quick hands and good instincts to pile up steals but maybe not play great overall defense. In high level d-I they obviously expect more.

I actually think he’s ok but struggling with transition defense in particular. Think he’ll be fine but we’re getting torched by better teams (sadly they’re better).

Bottom line is he’s got a big adjustment and it hasn’t gone great against better teams. Hopefully it improves ...
I'd like to see him just keep his arms extended, not hanging by his sides.

I'd like to see him just keep his arms extended, not hanging by his sides.
We have guards who have a bad habit of that. Tyus was good but people shot over Frank all the time the past couple years. Moving shooters off spots is a constant problem for some reason.

I think Cappy should play PG. Let's see what ya got sport!

It was quite recently that many here were raving over Girard because he had a couple excellent games. I suggested to be cautious because he will basically come back to earth at times. Such is the case. Us fans should not get too excited over the highs or too frustrated over the lows. Stop being fair weather fans. I admit, I fall into this trap at times myself, but have learned over the years. Embrace the team and its players. That means a range of play quality and associated emotion. Girard and the others will bounce back.

I think there are too high expectations for one, I work with a UVA alum who has a couple of SU friends that pounded him about how good Girard is, If you asked JB in August would he be running point for 30+ minutes a game, regardless of Careys injury the answer is no, Gurrier needs to start instead of Sidibe, if you are gonna have a big touch the ball from 20ft out it has to be Marek, might as well play Edwards, he will get destroyed physically but maybe it will instill just how strong he needs to be to succeed and it gives us 5 more fouls at the position, and he does have some offensive skill. They may take their lumps now, but this is the type of team we need to get back too, players who stick around and develop.
It is hard to watch after all these years, but I stay optimistic that we beat Iowa and keep moving forward.

Sorry if facts upset you guys so much. Name calling and infantile jokes are a great way to refute actual facts.

i think girard will be fine. he's learning like most frosh that he's not the best athlete on the floor anymore. hopefully he'll learn to play smarter not harder and use his unique talents to create his own advantage.

Sorry if facts upset you guys so much. Name calling and infantile jokes are a great way to refute actual facts.
lol yes. Pick out a few stats from a kid that has played a few games and you stating actual facts. Girard will be fine. Be honest, did he eat your lunch in high school and you just can't get over it?

This thread (and board) are descending into chaos.

With that said, -- and I am not saying I don't think JGIII can't develop into a nice player -- but we can see why he was rated as low as he was even with the prolific, mind blowing H.S. stats.

Was not great, but certainly decent. He looks much better in college and is improving. Shows above average lateral movement at the top of the zone. As critical as some have been about JG3 and Buddy defensively the primary responsibility of the guards in the Syracuse zone is to stop the dribble penetration, particularly splitting the guards and penetrating from the top. Watch the games from Brooklyn. That was not our issue at all.

Was not great, but certainly decent. He looks much better in college and is improving. Shows above average lateral movement at the top of the zone. As critical as some have been about JG3 and Buddy defensively the primary responsibility of the guards in the Syracuse zone is to stop the dribble penetration, particularly splitting the guards and penetrating from the top. Watch the games from Brooklyn. That was not our issue at all.

Rebounding is our biggest issue and it’s not close. You will never win getting outrebounded by 30 and we stopped PSU sometimes 3 times and just could not grab the ball. I do not see this getting better at all.

I think Girard and Buddy would be a solid backcourt were they playing with a better front line. We are counting on them to be our second and third options. That really is not fair to them at this point in their careers.

If we had another elite forward and a solid center they would be fine, but those are the two weakest positions we have and I don’t think we get much better there this year IMO.

i think we can kick buddy out of the "young guards " club.
he's started how many games and played how many minutes ?
sophomore is the new senior for most collegiate NBA talent. he's logged mucho minutes and
is quickly approaching his upside i would guess. it'd be great if he was surrounded by better players.
i think he might shine as a 5th option like matt roe . but hey that's on his pop. he built this team.

Last edited:
lol yes. Pick out a few stats from a kid that has played a few games and you stating actual facts. Girard will be fine. Be honest, did he eat your lunch in high school and you just can't get over it?
Simply pointing out that, for all the raving here when he had a big game against mid-major competition, he’s been pretty terrible offensively vs P5 competition. Unless you think under 20% fg and around 12% from three is promising.

Seems to hustle on defense to me. He’s short which hurts him on that end but he seems like the kind of player and competitor who will develop good awareness on that end and play very hard. He’s averaging 1.9 steals per game which leads the team and is a very respectable stat line.

For all the complaints about his athleticism and lack of ability to get in the lane...I feel like he’s already quicker off the dribble than Howard was. He’s no Jonny Flynn. He’s not as good as freshman GMac. I’m very confident he’ll be a good college PG though.

*How many realize that Gerry shot 12-50 over his last 4 NCAA tournament games, after the first round 2004 BYU explosion? We all remember 6 threes in the national title game and 43 points against BYU. Small guards who mostly take 20-25 footers aren’t going to light it up every game - especially when they can’t get open looks because their team mostly stinks on offense.

i think we can kick buddy out of the "young guards " club.
he's started how many games and played how many minutes ?
sophomore is the new senior for most collegiate NBA talent. he's logged mucho minutes and
is quickly approaching his upside i would guess. it'd be great if he was surrounded by better players.
i think he might shine as a 5th option like matt roe . but hey that's on his pop. he built this team.

Disagree and agree. He’s still a very young player, regardless of the college b-ball landscape.

Matt Roe is a good comparison.

Matt Roe averaged 17 ppg as a 5th year senior at Maryland. He was significantly better then, than he was in early December of his sophomore year.

Buddy has some natural limitations, but he still can and will get better IMO.

i think girard will be fine. he's learning like most frosh that he's not the best athlete on the floor anymore. hopefully he'll learn to play smarter not harder and use his unique talents to create his own advantage.

he looked out of place in the beginning of the OSU game - they pressured him and he looked dazed and confused because he was not fast enough to get past anyone - I do like his dribble and the way he tries to get up the court - he'll probably be fine long term

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom