Give me a 4 year Scoop over a 1 year MCW or Ennis | Syracusefan.com

Give me a 4 year Scoop over a 1 year MCW or Ennis

Dcuse

All Conference
Not because he's better,obviously,but to watch these guys grow and become part of us. I hate the rent a player age we're in. I never want to end up being Kentucky. I honestly think Tyler's legacy here will be more Donte Greene than anything else. But I guess you can't blame him.

Tyler Ennis is no where near a rent a player. He came to Syracuse with not even a fraction of the hype that Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Gordon had. No one, probably not even him, thought he'd be leaving after one season. He played well and put himself in a situation that was tough to turn down.

Not because he's better,obviously,but to watch these guys grow and become part of us. I hate the rent a player age we're in. I never want to end up being Kentucky. I honestly think Tyler's legacy here will be more Donte Greene than anything else. But I guess you can't blame him.
Donte Greene barely got his team to the NIT.

Fun thought - Scoop as the 2G on this season's team.

ennis was here one year and went 1-2 in postseason including a complete stinker to end the year against a double digit seed. scoop was a part of this community for 5 years (with some growing pains) and was a member on two of the best SU teams I have ever seen. in the college game, I will take a 4 year player like scoop that bleeds the program over 1 year of ennis all day long, 7 days a week and twice on sunday. I don't know how anyone can look at ennis career here and think anything but "meh".

I'll always remember Donte Greene at the NIT tossing that inbounds pass off the defensive player's butt in the second half of his final SU game. Donte thought he could jump out and get the ball but it didn't bounce back like he expected. The ball dropped straight down from the guy's backside and resulted in a turnover.

I have a lot of positive memories of Tyler Ennis to look forward to in the coming years.

orangehomer said:
ennis was here one year and went 1-2 in postseason including a complete stinker to end the year against a double digit seed. scoop was a part of this community for 5 years (with some growing pains) and was a member on two of the best SU teams I have ever seen. in the college game, I will take a 4 year player like scoop that bleeds the program over 1 year of ennis all day long, 7 days a week and twice on sunday. I don't know how anyone can look at ennis career here and think anything but "meh".

Ennis had a complete stinker? He's the only reason we had a chance to win at the end.

MCW was here two years. But even if he was a one-and-done your point stinks since he got us to a Final Four. Scoop was here five years and road Dion to the Elite Eight.

I agree in part. Disagree completely about Tyler's legacy and will always be a big fan of his, but, yes, the four year jardine career was more valuable without question. But that is one of biggest reasons for cuse's ascent last 5 years...the 3-4 year guys who are not good enough to go to ky duke unc and Kansas...but who can play with anyone at the end...Joseph Jackson pace fair etc.

I'd take Dion's 2 years over 4-5 years of Scoop and the 1 year of Ennis.

I don't blame Donte for that at all. Everyone forgets that his only year at SU was the year that Andy Rautins, Eric Devendorf along with Devin McBride went down for the season and Josh Wright left the team early during the season. Scoop also was suspended for a few games in late Jan and early Feb. Heck even walk-on Justin Thomas suffered an injury ending his season.

It was Flynn, Scoop and Rick Jackson's freshman season , Paul Harris' sophomore one, Arinze was a junior and Ongenaet's first transfer season. It's crazy to blame Donte for what happened that season.

Last edited:
I'm torn on it. I loved Melo's one season here and wouldn't trade his one and done for anything, obviously.

But guys like Ennis and Donte whose teams didn't ultimately achieve great heights and who appeared to have so much unrealized upside leave me with a negative feeling about their time at SU when they take off early. I would also throw Fab, Waiters and Flynn into this group.

On the other hand without those guys we likely don't have two Elite 8s, a Final Four and Sweet 16 appearance 4 of the last 6 years.

I think its hard for many of us to rationalize because these players are living OUR dream. They're insanely lucky to be able to play basketball at Syracuse. And I would guess I'm not alone in that thought. But they didn't grow up dreaming of college basketball. They all think they're good enough for the NBA. That is their dream.

I honestly find myself caring more about SU football than about SU basketball now for the first time in 15 years. I've always enjoyed "college basketball" but the age of the one and done has taken a lot of the joy out of it. I'm not talking about giving up on SU Hoops, but I'd be lying if I said recent seasons have given me as much pleasure as I used to get out of even a modestly successful season.

no way. i literally cant disagree more here.

I don't blame Donte for that at all. Everyone forgets that his only year at SU was the year that Andy Rautins, Eric Devendorf along with Devin McBride went down for the season and Josh Wright left the team early during the season. Scoop also was suspended for a few games in late Jan and early Feb. Heck even walk-on Justin Thomas suffered an injury ending his season.

It was Flynn, Scoop and Rick Jackson's freshman season , Paul Harris' sophomore one, Arinze was a junior and Ongenaet's first transfer season. It's crazy to blame Donte for what happened that season.
I don't blame him either. I just think he would have been better served by staying another year. Look, Flynn's NBA career didn't work out to well, but I think he left at the right time. His stock would never have been higher. I don't think this is the case for Donte. Green is probably the only player we've had that I feel left too early.

no way. i literally cant disagree more here.

That's OK. I'm a dinosaur. I like the Derrick Colemans and Sherman Douglas's. I like to know what I have coming back as opposed to putting hope on a kid coming out of high school which is how I see things trending. Not saying we wouldn't be good both ways but I think the stink of bad offense is largely due to more frequent personnel change.