Give the ball to Jerome, and we win more games | Syracusefan.com

Give the ball to Jerome, and we win more games

Pat Kelly

2nd String
It's that simple. I think the last game showed it. We have such strength at running back and yet we underutilize it.

Well its that, and get more creative with the running game plan. Maybe one of the Xs & Os guys can chime in better, but the running game is remarkably un-creative. These 1st down up the gut runs consistently yield next to nothing.

It's that simple. I think the last game showed it. We have such strength at running back and yet we underutilize it.
Wash ... Rinse ... Repeat!!!!! I agree. I was at the game and was asking most if the first quarter why he was not in there more. Was he in the dog house? We need to start our play makers and ride them to victory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Well its that, and get more creative with the running game plan. Maybe one of the Xs & Os guys can chime in better, but the running game is remarkably un-creative. These 1st down up the gut runs consistently yield next to nothing.

I'm all for running a play until the other team stops it but once they stop it it's time to move on. We had some very successful runs v Clemson but they never worked twice. Despite that fact we would run it 4 and 5 times until we moved on.

1st Down: Dive left or Dive right. I don't think switching up your WR placements was fooling anyone. Mix in a pass on first down. Might help the running game.

And for the love of god run some misdirection. Also use the slot not just as a runner but also as a decoy. Every time Estime goes in motion he gets the ball.

I think we need to stop running out of the shotgun. Like Pearl said, we are not creative at all. Run out of the I formation...or have Jerome in the backfield. Throw some screen passes to Estime...use more slant routes. I think we need to use more high percentage plays this Saturday. We definitely need to pick up the W to get back on track.

Even besides his big gain runs Jerome was getting 4 or 5 yard chunks. We have potentially the best rushing attack in the ACC between Smith, Hunt, PTG, McFarlane, and Morris II.

Smith needs to get 75% of the carries then in my opinion PTG and McFarlane fight each other for the rest. Morris should be given garbage time.

That's a flawed stat to look at, frankly. He's averaging 5.0 yards per carry with 5 rushing TDs. He only has 69 carries in five games. That is unacceptable. We need to give him the freaking rock and follow him to freedom. Just like Charlie Steiner:

7 rushing td's

I don't know about that. We certainly weren't beating Clemson or Northwestern giving him the ball more. Against Penn State, sure, maybe, but we still needed a QB that could move the ball.

They also need to run some running plays that don't take so long to develop. The play calling in the first half was deplorable. Slow developing runs to the outside will not work against the better teams in the ACC. The fact that fans can see this and the coordinators can't is a little disappointing.

I think we need to stop running out of the shotgun. Like Pearl said, we are not creative at all. Run out of the I formation...or have Jerome in the backfield. Throw some screen passes to Estime...use more slant routes. I think we need to use more high percentage plays this Saturday. We definitely need to pick up the W to get back on track.

I agree with this. I've never really been a big fan of consistently running out of the shotgun. Handing the ball off that far behind the LOS means the RB has that much further to go. I am not smart enough to have a solution to the overall problem. All I know is, you get the ball to your playmakers as often as possible and let them make things happen. Jerome is one of our playmakers and he needs to get more touches. PTG is getting too many snaps, IMO.

Run a couple of wheel routes to Broyld. If the CB and safety play soft, pump fake and hand it off to him. We need to get our players the ball in space.

In the 2nd half every first down looked like a zone read play, but Hunt wouldn't keep the ball and we went nowhere. Then finally the one time he did keep the ball he went for like 15 yards. Hunt needs to be part of the running attack IMO, it will eventually open more holes for Smith.

In the 2nd half every first down looked like a zone read play, but Hunt wouldn't keep the ball and we went nowhere. Then finally the one time he did keep the ball he went for like 15 yards. Hunt needs to be part of the running attack IMO, it will eventually open more holes for Smith.

I noted the same thing. It almost seemed like he was instructed not to run even though it looked like he could have broken several long ones. I was screaming at the TV several times "Run @&^$#". Very strange

This team doesn't have the personnel to run this type of offense. We should be lining up under center with multiple running backs in the backfield for most plays.

Even besides his big gain runs Jerome was getting 4 or 5 yard chunks. We have potentially the best rushing attack in the ACC between Smith, Hunt, PTG, McFarlane, and Morris II.

Smith needs to get 75% of the carries then in my opinion PTG and McFarlane fight each other for the rest. Morris should be given garbage time.

Actually Smith had a 3.47 YPC average if you take away his longest run. You take away his 2nd longest run and the average drops to 2.625.

Actually Smith had a 3.47 YPC average if you take away his longest run. You take away his 2nd longest run and the average drops to 2.625.

The man has 7 rushing touchdowns and broke off a 66 yard touchdown against a superb defense. He's averaging 5 yards a carry thus far in the season...

If he should not be our go to on offense I don't know what is.

This team doesn't have the personnel to run this type of offense. We should be lining up under center with multiple running backs in the backfield for most plays.

This isn't the '50s or '60s, and we aren't going to run the triple option.

The overreaction really has to stop.

we could have given him the ball 100 times against clemson, we were still going to get murdered.

This isn't the '50s or '60s, and we aren't going to run the triple option.

The overreaction really has to stop.
I never said anything about the triple option. I also don't think suggesting a different playing style is overreacting. This team's greatest strength is its running game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom