Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Do we look at Cincinnati as a peer school?

Look at the run they had hiring successful MAC Coaches or those with Ohio ties……can we not mimic that at Syracuse?

Mark Dantonio
Brian Kelly (as much as it pains me to say)
Butch Jones
Luke Fickell

All 4 of those guys left for “bigger gigs” but killed it at their stint at UC. When’s the last time we had a successful coach leave for a more prestigious college job? We would clamor for that knowing we had some great football seasons!

PS they screwed the pooch with both the Tuberville and more recent Satterfield hires

They just put a graphic up about all the transfers Georgia tech brought in. A guy from Texas A&M just threw a TD pass to a guy from Georgia. Maybe the key requirement for our next coach is experience working the portal and a willingness to to take a deep dive into it.

We can’t switch coaches. It’ll take any new coach at least 5 years to figure how to log into the portal.

You want a northeast guy, HC experience, OL experience, cup of coffee in the NFL, coached around some of the brightest minds in college football, understands our recruiting footprints as well as anyone, one guy is like that.

You'll all go nuts but Kyle Flood fits that bill.

Looking at teams who are really putting up points brought me to SMU. Casey Woods is their offensive coordinator. I don’t believe in the regional experience thing anymore. High school recruiting isn’t nearly as important as it used to be.

You want a northeast guy, HC experience, OL experience, cup of coffee in the NFL, coached around some of the brightest minds in college football, understands our recruiting footprints as well as anyone, one guy is like that.

You'll all go nuts but Kyle Flood fits that bill.

His recruiting stunk. Rutgers went down hill talent wise on his watch. Also the RU OLs always stunk while he was in charge. On top of that he was suspended for off the field stuff. If 2015 didn't happen it might have been a decent idea.

His recruiting stunk. Rutgers went down hill talent wise on his watch. Also the RU OLs always stunk while he was in charge. On top of that he was suspended for off the field stuff. If 2015 didn't happen it might have been a decent idea.

They rang him up for going straight to a professor instead of through academic support. He had a better four year record than Marrone (his last year stunk).

He's pushing 2 bills at Texas so might not need it.

what about Pat Fitzgerald? NW and SU have similar profiles (dont tell USnews that).

We have been floundering for 25+ years. I am totally ok with someone on a redemption tour. I dont care about personal character or history on this hire. Just hire someone who can coach/teach/produce good football. Wildhack can say in the press conf, this is strictly a football decision.

Last edited:
Al Golden. Deep NJ and northeast ties. Brought back Temple...again...Temple... from the pits of dispare.

Was clearly not a fit in Miami, and has had sucessfull stints in the NFL and now at ND.

Would need to spend $$ on the assistants, but I would hope due to his age wouldn't bolt in 2-3 years for another gig.

Al Golden. Deep NJ and northeast ties. Brought back Temple...again...Temple... from the pits of dispare.

Was clearly not a fit in Miami, and has had sucessfull stints in the NFL and now at ND.

Would need to spend $$ on the assistants, but I would hope due to his age wouldn't bolt in 2-3 years for another gig.

He hits a lot of boxes. But he had a lot of boneheaded moments as a HC and only has 10 guys on the field the 2 biggest plays on the year this year. I think he deserves an interview.

He hits a lot of boxes. But he had a lot of boneheaded moments as a HC and only has 10 guys on the field the 2 biggest plays on the year this year. I think he deserves an interview.
Well it feels like we only have 10 guys on the field most of the time so…..

For those who don't want to read through 10 pages, here are the coaches whose names have been mentioned so far, (some more seriously than others):

Steve Addazio
Stephen Belichick “or Bill”
“Bologna Burps” (who I assume to be Greg Schiano)
Art Briles
Troy Calhoun
Pete Carroll
Jamey Chadwell
Bob Chesney
Curt Cignetti
Frank Cignetti Jr.
Shawn Clark
Liam Coen
Tom Coughlin
Chris Creighton
Ryan Day
Manny Diaz
Kirk Ferentz
Willie Fritz
Jason Garrett
Nathaniel Hackett
Jim Harbaugh
“Brain” Hartline
Clay Helton
Tyson Helton
Tom Herman
Jimmy Johnson
Paul Johnson
KC Keeler
Chip Kelly
Kliff Kingsbury
G.J. Kinne
Andy Kotelnicki
Ted Lasso and Coach Beard
Lance Leipold
Sean Lewis
Phil Longo
Andy Ludwig
Gus Malzahn
Doug Marrone
Bronco Mendenhall
Jeff Monken (0-62)
Joe Moörehead
Sherrone Moore
Dan Mullen
Urban Meyer
Bill O’Brien
Ed Orgeron
Justin Outten
Paul Pasqualone
Matt Patricia
Bo Pelini
Joe Philbin
Chris Peterson
Ricky Rahne
Tommy Reese
Rich Rodriguez
Lincoln Riley
Nick Saban
someone from the Shanahan tree
JaMarcus Shephard
Ryan Silverfield
Kirby Smart
Bob Stoops
Dabo Swinney
Jeff Traylor
Ben Weitzman
Ken Whisenhunt
Tony White
Balogna burps should be Marrone.

All I care is that we have someone with an offensive identity who leverages being the only team with a dome. Exciting offense. Scheme our way to points.

Dino was that at one point. He lost it.

Go for that identity and if he does well and moves on, replace him with someone else like that. Rinse and repeat.

If Sean Lewis was willing to come here, I’d take that as a huge endorsement. But I don’t expect it to be him.

What other outside the box Cuse guys are we overlooking? Outen as a good one. There must be others.

All I care is that we have someone with an offensive identity who leverages being the only team with a dome. Exciting offense. Scheme our way to points.

Dino was that at one point. He lost it.

Go for that identity and if he does well and moves on, replace him with someone else like that. Rinse and repeat.

If Sean Lewis was willing to come here, I’d take that as a huge endorsement. But I don’t expect it to be him.

What other outside the box Cuse guys are we overlooking? Outen as a good one. There must be others.
When you posed that question, it made me think of how great the running game was in 2021. I think it was the best in recent Orange history as far back as I can remember.

When you posed that question, it made me think of how great the running game was in 2021. I think it was the best in recent Orange history as far back as I can remember.
Didn’t realize he followed Hackett around as much as he did. Could see him being his OC again should Nate take a HC job somewhere.

If you want a quick turnaround, hire Mullen. If you want to rebuild the program hire Chesney. Personally, I would hire Chesney as he would rebuild the ties to the recruiting base and he has done the rebuild 3 times.
Go through the Holy Cross roster and look at where the kids come from: NJ/New England/PA/NY as well as Florida and Texas. He is already in the schools that Syracuse needs to recruit.

The only downside is he doesn't have P5 or NIL experience and he would have to build a P5 coaching staff.

If you want a quick turnaround, hire Mullen. If you want to rebuild the program hire Chesney. Personally, I would hire Chesney as he would rebuild the ties to the recruiting base and he has done the rebuild 3 times.
Go through the Holy Cross roster and look at where the kids come from: NJ/New England/PA/NY as well as Florida and Texas. He is already in the schools that Syracuse needs to recruit.

The only downside is he doesn't have P5 or NIL experience and he would have to build a P5 coaching staff.
He’s a great choice indeed, I think the downside is outweighed by all that he brings. Cignetti first, Chesney 2nd, get one of them

He’s a great choice indeed, I think the downside is outweighed by all that he brings. Cignetti first, Chesney 2nd, get one of them
I think you need to keep in mind that for Holy Cross, the NE is a great recruiting ground. Outside of PA and NJ, for Syracuse, not so much. And I’m not saying that in the context that there isn’t talent here. I’m saying it in the context that there is a lot more talent in this region to support a FCS program than there is a P5 program. And the kids a guy like Chesney really needs to land to move the needle from the NE largely haven’t been coming here for the better part of 20 years.

So I personally think we’re better off with a proven P5 guy who can turn the program around and have the juice to start landing some of the kids that we’ve struggled with and then when he’s ready to move on hand the keys to a guy like Chesney who is hungry and can continue the path, with Syracuse already being a winner and a known name.

I like Chesney but I just don’t think it’s the right time for a coach like him.

I think you need to keep in mind that for Holy Cross, the NE is a great recruiting ground. Outside of PA and NJ, for Syracuse, not so much. And I’m not saying that in the context that there isn’t talent here. I’m saying it in the context that there is a lot more talent in this region to support a FCS program than there is a P5 program. And the kids a guy like Chesney really needs to land to move the needle from the NE largely haven’t been coming here for the better part of 20 years.

So I personally think we’re better off with a proven P5 guy who can turn the program around and have the juice to start landing some of the kids that we’ve struggled with and then when he’s ready to move on hand the keys to a guy like Chesney who is hungry and can continue the path, with Syracuse already being a winner and a known name.

I like Chesney but I just don’t think it’s the right time for a coach like him.
These are fair points but I’m at the point where wildhack has to be courageous

A courageous pick that could pay dividends if it works out. Sets a tone for the school and the country that SU is back to being a beast of the northeast w a northeast guy

James Madison has not had a losing season since 2002, 3 coaches ago. CC has done a good job of maintaining success but it’s a lot easier to win there than here. Cignetti may be up to the task but his results at Jmu don’t really translate to Syracuse. I’m all in on Bob Chesney but would be very happy with Al Golden, Justin Outten, Bill O’Brien or maybe Tony White. Tony and Justin are the “roll the dice” candidates.

After going through the Dan Mullen thread I have to add him to the list.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom