Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Definitely want a young guy who is all in on the new age of college football
Look at the gamble the Fins took on McDaniel or UT on Sarkisian … young great minds just had a little package to clean up

Thoughts on Matt Patricia?

Not saying he's high on my list - I don't really have a list he's just a guy that popped into my head. Has the Cuse roots. I think his head coaching style would be a MUCH better fit in college than the pros. Would definitely need a strong OC as was saw last year.

And because of his failure at Detroit, I don't think he's the kind of guy who will be gone in 3 years if he does well. Maybe 5 but if it's on the back of success, good luck to him.
I'd say he's worth a shot. Went to the same high school has him. I don't think he would hate moving back home to CNY. He's got a firey personality. Funny, when he was with the Lions I told my buddy, "he's got more of a college HC style."

It doesn't matter who the coach is if the coach is not given the tools to be successful. Unfortunately, this has not been the Syracuse way.

Tools for success:
  • Competitive HC salary
  • Competitive salary pool for assistants
    • And support staff; strength and conditioning, director of player personnel, director of football operations etc...
  • Competitive recruiting budget. Because of our location our coaches have to travel more than most other schools in the conference. There isn't enough talent in the northeast to work with so our coaches have to into enemy territory to recruit. Then flying recruits into Syracuse from all over isn't cheap either.
  • Competitive NIL opportunities
"Competitive" means competitive with the top third of the ACC, not just better than we had in the 1990's or early 2000's, but competitive with the current competition in the conference.

Is Syracuse capable of putting these types of tools together?

Timing is also key. The transfer portal will be open from Dec. 4, 2023, to Jan. 3, of 2024. If SU let's Dino go and does not have a replacement in place almost immediately the impact could be devastating. Last year Colorado fired Dorrell on October 2nd and following a national search, hired Dieon sanders on December 3rd. Two days before the transfer portal opened (Dec 5 - Jan 18).

Worst case scenario, Syracuse limps into a bowl game but can't field a team due to a mass exodus into the transfer portal following the dismissal of the HC and not having a replacement on board who can hold the roster together.

Top 3rd isn't realistic. If we are in the Top 3rd we should be competing for ACC championships. We don't need that. Third quartile is perfectly fine.

Good point on the portal. If we need a new HC in place by December, we should let Dino go no later than the Monday after the BC game. Which is even more reason to do it now. Can't let him go if we beat BC.

Mullen or Chesney would be home runs.
Has Chesney ever been even an assistant coach at the FBS level? HUGE risk IMO. Cignetti is 62. Fritz is 63. Was never a big Mullen fan, but he might be a palatable option,

I am leaning Shawn Clark at App State, Coached OLine at Purdue. Had two great years at App but last year and a half haven't been as successful. Always competitive in losses though - only one loss by more than one score.

Hire him as HC and bring back Nick Monroe as Associate HC and DC?

More importantly, I would also sell beer until the end of the third quarter.

I'm old enough to remember when this was the case. It changed, I want to say my first junior year, 1993. I recall it being some NYS crack down on alcohol, they were stopping the all you could drink for $X happy hours. But it could have also been because West Virginia fans highly over-indulged that year as they beat us 43-0. No joke, they announced at halftime they weren't selling beer to people in WVU apparel.

Anyway, you just have to do what we do now, which is take a couple of halftime trips, and line the row with enough to get you through the game and any potential overtimes.

I looked into him last week and he's got some messy off the field baggage which I didn't know about

On top of that why would we expect him to do any better here than he did at Arizona? The guy knows O for sure.

Just don't know that we can afford a successful P5 coach with any kind of shelf life especially combined with the buyout of Dino's last year. I think there are a number of success stories of succesfful G5 coaches making the step up.
Yeah I get it, I'm with you there. I think we will end up being bargain hunters once again. I was more speaking to if we actually spent what we need to spend to increase the likelihood of being successful.

It's very frustrating because the aspirations the Wildhack speaks to never line up to what we're actually willing to do to make that happen. If have to roll the dice on someone without proven P5 experience because we're going on the cheap again I guess Chesney is as good an option as any.

1. Sean Lewis (I'm dying on this hill, kick rocks ;))
2. Curt Cignetti (Enjoy what he is doing at JMU)
3. Jamey Chadwell (Chanticleers were a well-oiled machine under him)
4. Tyson Helton (Really like what his offense does and would be interesting in a dome)
5. Jeff Monken (Great at Georgia Southern and always has Army ready to go)

I believe any of these 5 can get the program turned in the right direction, some are older sure we would just need to have a plan for when they retire that would not cause a backslide.

I remember people on here wanting Babers and being all-in on Babers. It's an evil cycle. :(
100%, we will be doing the same thing in 3-4 years, which is fine but I just can't do the lists anymore, I just can't. Whoever it is just hope for the best. If it were me I would take a HUGE swing with somebody who is 2 steps from being on anyone's radar, I mean a HUGE swing.

I'd say he's worth a shot. Went to the same high school has him. I don't think he would hate moving back home to CNY. He's got a firey personality. Funny, when he was with the Lions I told my buddy, "he's got more of a college HC style."
I mean he could truly be HORRIBLE as a head coach at Syracuse and probably would be, however if he was OK here he would be very well liked, he's a CNY guy for sure

He hasn’t coached in college in 20 years. Easy pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom