Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

I don't want Golden he failed in the ACC already. With way more resources.

I think White is fine and has enough upside the OC hire will be the big one.

Syracuse keeps doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Hire Robinson because of NFL ties, but no connections to Northeast. Hired Marrone which showed promise. But he was also an NFL guy, who didn’t realize how much he would hate the college game and recruiting. Not to mention the lack of facility promises. Then he was offered an NFL head coaching job. So we settle for Shafer. A lifelong coordinator. Again, no head coaching experience. So then we hire Babers who didn’t stay at jobs for more than 2 years. His offense was something that we loved, but he never had to sustain success at a school, he would always be successful with the prior coaches players and then jump ship. Never having to sustain success with recruiting.

We need to start from the ground. This job needs an experienced head coach that has built a program in the northeast before.

This program is not ready for another first time head coach or a coach that jumps program to program.

We need someone that is familiar with the disadvantages that the north east presents. We need someone that has relationships in this area. Someone who can hit Jersey, Pennsylvania, DC hard. Someone who has faced challenges building a program from nothing into something.

Once that guy has come and put in the work. Maybe he will leave, but then we can hire someone to take over and keep the train rolling. I just believe this job is too much for a brand new coach right now, we need more.
The primary reason I say that you should not make it close to a requirement to hire as next HC a guy who has built a program before in the northeast is that you limit possibilities to almost 0, unless you count building Ivy League or other 1AA or D2 or D3.

If Mora had UConn humming, he would fit that bill. If Temple were humming, there would be another possibility.

I think ties to the northeast are important, but I do not think those ties be having rebuilt a program in the northeast.

I think my revised list at this point without doing any homework is (no order)

Cignetti
Chadwell
Paul Chryst (currently working as a Texas analyst)
Mullen
Malzhan

Tom Herman is also a name of interest to me especially for what he did at Houston

Chadwell is intriguing.
He has NO ties whatsoever to the northeast. He is a TN native who played CFB in TN and has coached in only 4 states: TN, MS, SC, and VA.

I think my revised list at this point without doing any homework is (no order)

Cignetti
Chadwell
Paul Chryst (currently working as a Texas analyst)
Mullen
Malzhan
I like the list, but Cignetti won't be coming here. I spoke with a good friend in the AD @ JMU, and he laughed when I mentioned Syracuse as a destination. JMU is losing their longtime athletic director to retirement, so maybe? I doubt it, though - Cignetti is about to get a truckload of money from JMU.

Syracuse keeps doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Hire Robinson because of NFL ties, but no connections to Northeast. Hired Marrone which showed promise. But he was also an NFL guy, who didn’t realize how much he would hate the college game and recruiting. Not to mention the lack of facility promises. Then he was offered an NFL head coaching job. So we settle for Shafer. A lifelong coordinator. Again, no head coaching experience. So then we hire Babers who didn’t stay at jobs for more than 2 years. His offense was something that we loved, but he never had to sustain success at a school, he would always be successful with the prior coaches players and then jump ship. Never having to sustain success with recruiting.

We need to start from the ground. This job needs an experienced head coach that has built a program in the northeast before.

This program is not ready for another first time head coach or a coach that jumps program to program.

We need someone that is familiar with the disadvantages that the north east presents. We need someone that has relationships in this area. Someone who can hit Jersey, Pennsylvania, DC hard. Someone who has faced challenges building a program from nothing into something.

Once that guy has come and put in the work. Maybe he will leave, but then we can hire someone to take over and keep the train rolling. I just believe this job is too much for a brand new coach right now, we need more.
So Randy Edsall

I like the list, but Cignetti won't be coming here. I spoke with a good friend in the AD @ JMU, and he laughed when I mentioned Syracuse as a destination. JMU is losing their longtime athletic director to retirement, so maybe? I doubt it, though - Cignetti is about to get a truckload of money from JMU.

If you said cignetti laughed that’s a different story. He’ll never win anything at JMU so assuming the money is right you can get in the playoff at Syracuse.

A quick Google search says he makes 546k base salary so he would be leaving a ton of money on the table to not even take the phone call

Here's a couple more names to chew on. Not the regional connections some folks are looking for but proven winners.

Jason Candle - HC Toledo
Matt Entz - HC NDSU
Brent Vigen - HC Montana State

I don't think regional fit is an issue with Chadwell, I think money might be. Liberty pays him 4M a year right now and would likely pay more than that to keep him. I also think he could hold out for a better gig than Cuse, tbh. He's only 46, his team is 9-0 right now and he's gonna get bigger offers very soon.

How about Will Stein, Oregon's offensive coordinator?

- Former Louisville QB
- Co-offensive coordinator for UTSA in 2022. 12th ranked offense in the nation there which is impressive. They've taken a huge step back this year without him
- Current Oregon OC. #2 ranked offense in the nation
- 34 years old

If we're going the route of potential good upcoming coaches I think he should get a look. He has a good track record so far of having explosive offenses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom