Given all of Dino's comments have any of you given any thought that | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Given all of Dino's comments have any of you given any thought that

TD was not perfect but he becomes more valuable with every snap Rex takes. His return helps us for sure next year but I don't think it does enough to push us over 5 or 6 wins. That said Dino will want him back if _ IF - he is coaching for his survival (which I don't think he is for a variety of reasons).

Per McAllister at that new SI spot, SU hasn't even reached out to the Mississippi State transfer that we once recruited. That would lead me to believe that the Devitos aren't taking their show on the road.
There are 2 transfer QBs of interest though.

It's confusing.

For old time fans, (I can't believe it's been 30 years - thirty years!)

Is Tommy Bill Scharr when what we need is Marvin Graves?

I remember that there was a competition between Scharr, who was a big-time recruit but a pocket QB and who eventually left, Mark McDonald, Wendell Lowry, Warren Prisby and Graves for the job leading up to the 1990 season. graves was chosen to start against USC. We lost but Marvin played well and Bud Poliquin wrote "In life, there is Gladys Knight and there are Pips. Marvin Graves is Gladys Knight and those other fellows are Pips."

Last edited:
Here is the quote of what he said:

So, not looking to beat a dead horse, but that's not 100% that he's coming back.
It expresses dissatisfaction not only with the line, but with the offense.
I'd say that's more than a little wiggle room in his statement.
I think if they can find a "good enough" program, he'll leave. Just my gut feeling.
Things have not gone smoothly for Tommy so far, and it's hard to believe we will be a very good team next year.

P.S. - I am not saying we will be a better team if he leaves. Far from it. We are absolutely unprepared, and Dino's many recruiting misses at QB have been laid bare to see.

Last edited:
His dad has their side of the story, SU has the other. They both could be on different pages, like many relationships that go through growth or difficult times.

If Cuse brings in a transfer, especially a junior or senior, who knows what could happen.
Are we changing the baseline premise to back up the original argument?

I remember that there was a competition between Scharr, who was a big-time recruit but a pocket QB and who eventually left, Mark McDonald, Wendell Lowry, Warren Prisby and Graves for the job leading up to the 1990 season. graves was chosen to start against USC. We lost but Marvin played well and Bud Poliquin wrote "In life, there is Gladys Knight and there are Pips. Marvin Graves is Gladys Knight and those other fellows are Pips."
Mark McDonald saved the 1989 season and won the Peach bowl against Georgia.

I read that Scharr decided to leave prior to that preseason and never competed for the job in 1990. Graves was likely the better fit, regardless.

Scharr transferred, Lowery was academically ineligible, and McDonald got hurt in training camp.

RB, CB, LB are all infinitely easier to play at as freshman than QB unless they are super-special and even then full camp is that much more important. I think Dino is doing his best to ramp down expectations.

As I've said elsewhere - his job is to do what's best for the team 1st and that can and prob should be differ from what's most important to fans.

I read that Scharr decided to leave prior to that preseason and never competed for the job in 1990. Graves was likely the better fit, regardless.

Yeah, I remember some grumbles that Bill Scharr was not that popular with his teammates. That probably played a factor in his transfer.

A key statement in the Sunday paper:

"I'm always going to try to play for a winning season", Babers said. "The best way to have a winning season is to have as many upperclassmen as you can because those guys care more about winning than anyone else. No one wants to go out on a bad note."

At 1-5, we still had a shot at a winning season. At 1-6 they don't. Dino isn't going announced that he's going to play the younger guys because we no longer can have a winning season but I think that's what he's going to do now.

Yeah, I remember some grumbles that Bill Scharr was not that popular with his teammates. That probably played a factor in his transfer.
There was an article I read recently that said he requested to speak with Mac part way through 1990 spring practice. He concluded the run oriented style of offense didn't fit him, they weren't going to alter the offense to fit him, he was ready to move on, and he quit before spring practice was over.

RB, CB, LB are all infinitely easier to play at as freshman than QB unless they are super-special and even then full camp is that much more important. I think Dino is doing his best to ramp down expectations.

As I've said elsewhere - his job is to do what's best for the team 1st and that can and prob should be differ from what's most important to fans.
Exactly. The old adage that the closer you are to the ball at the time of the snap, the mor difficult it is to play as a freshman, has been true forever. There are exceptions of course, for extremely talented players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom