giving up 570 yards in 3 straight games | Syracusefan.com

giving up 570 yards in 3 straight games

Millhouse

Living Legend
that has gotta be some kind of record. there aren't that many teams that have that many of those games in a season, how many can have 3 in a row like that

this should reduce the nervousness people might have over going to some high speed risky offense.

texas tech has allowed since 9.26

750 to tcu
700 to baylor

500 to iowa st
470 to kansas
620 to OK
650 to OK st
550 to WV
they shut down KSU allowing only 410 last week though

and they allowed sam houston to gain 670 in game one.

also we allowed over 550 3 times on 2002 twice in 2013 and 2007, 2004

this is rarefied air

750 to tcu
700 to baylor

500 to iowa st
470 to kansas
620 to OK
650 to OK st
550 to WV

as terrible as they are on defense and as crazy as the big 12 is, even they never hit 570 three weeks in a row!

and they've had crazy offense and play super fast

the average TT game this year has 1135 combined yards of offense. college football is nuts

if we're going to give up 570, let's do it the TT way

Look who we played and with a bunch of kids. It is to be expected

Look who we played and with a bunch of kids. It is to be expected
surely we can't be the only young defense who plays against good offenses. it shouldn't be expected to give up 570 to louisville

i think its all size and strength. look at the clemson game, they ran 1-2 plays most of the day for the bulk of yards. to stop that play you need DB's that can fight thru blocks and run with the WR. it was not about DB skill to swing hips and react to routes, add in most throws were right where they needed to be. i think our DBs have more skill than most the last 5-6 years, the question is will they get bigger faster too?

i think its all size and strength. look at the clemson game, they ran 1-2 plays most of the day for the bulk of yards. to stop that play you need DB's that can fight thru blocks and run with the WR. it was not about DB skill to swing hips and react to routes, add in most throws were right where they needed to be. i think our DBs have more skill than most the last 5-6 years, the question is will they get bigger faster too?

Every Clemson WR looked like Megatron next to our DB's. Hell, Clemson QB was bigger than our Secondary.

I agree with this. Too many of our guys are undersized AND playing as true frosh or even as R-S frosh. Bad formula. Hudson -- who has some talent -- looked like Lucas in that 80s movie. Same with Rodney Williams before he got hurt. Our defensive backs and even safeties are poor at pass defense. We know this. But they are even worse at tackling. Winfield combined the physique of Tony Scott with a Deion-esk attitude to tackle. I'll keep saying it, overall, we are playing too many kids too early in their careers. The severely sub-par results should not be a surprise on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree with this. Too many of our guys are undersized AND playing as true frosh or even as R-S frosh. Bad formula. Hudson -- who has some talent -- looked like Lucas in that 80s movie. Same with Rodney Williams before he got hurt. Our defensive backs and even safeties are poor at pass defense. We know this. But they are even worse at tackling. Winfield combined the physique of Tony Scott with a Deion-esk attitude to tackle. I'll keep saying it, overall, we are playing too many kids too early in their careers. The severely sub-par results should not be a surprise on the defensive side of the ball.
i don't want anyone to think I'm gasping in shock over this - most of us did realize it was going to be really bad on defense. i've felt all year long that we're doomed against any team that is willing to pass the ball. i just thought this was an exceptionally unusual little stretch

i don't want anyone to think I'm gasping in shock over this - most of us did realize it was going to be really bad on defense. i've felt all year long that we're doomed against any team that is willing to pass the ball. i just thought this was an exceptionally unusual little stretch

Somehow we managed to hold Clemson to three field goals in the last 43 minutes of the game.

I thought those D-backs grew up a lot in that game.

Somehow we managed to hold Clemson to three field goals in the last 43 minutes of the game.

I thought those D-backs grew up a lot in that game.

I agree, I thought they played really well. I've mentioned it before that I think some of the DB's have the physical tools to be better than they show. Against peer schools, WR's aren't physically beating them or out running them, for the most part. They are caught in the wrong position, missed assignment, etc. But even when they are physically outmatched like against Clemson, they've more than held their own.

I thought Hudson and Dowels played pretty well. Even Whigham got some compliments from the commentators.

750 to tcu
700 to baylor

500 to iowa st
470 to kansas
620 to OK
650 to OK st
550 to WV

Texas Tech scores like 50 points per game.

750 to tcu
700 to baylor

500 to iowa st
470 to kansas
620 to OK
650 to OK st
550 to WV

I'm not assuming you were using them as a "we don't want to be them" example. But imagine if their head coach was their former defensive coordinator.

They're also 6-5, will be favored in the finale, and are a fluke play at the end of the game from having beaten TCU.

Their 5 point loss in Morgantown is their only loss that isn't to a ranked opponent.

Oh to be having Texas Tech's season.

Texas Tech scores like 50 points per game.
I kinda feel like we should try that.

Actually, screw that. I'm concussed. Get me a fullback and some short side option RIGHT NOW.

I kinda feel like we should try that.

Actually, screw that. I'm concussed. Get me a fullback and some short side option RIGHT NOW.

This year, I've discovered that the short side option is my second least favorite play in football.

The least favorite, of course, is the pitch to your fullback on your own goal line.

This year, I've discovered that the short side option is my second least favorite play in football.

The least favorite, of course, is the pitch to your fullback on your own goal line.
My least favorite play in football is still the punt.

My least favorite play in football is still the punt.
my least favorite play precedes that - when hardnosed coaches trying to get first downs by making loud noises instead of playing football

my least favorite play precedes that - when hardnosed coaches trying to get first downs by making loud noises instead of playing football
That's another classic.

The best is when coaches admit that they spend time practicing that play.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom