Gloom and doom over Mali... | Syracusefan.com

Gloom and doom over Mali...

bpo57

Living Legend
a lot of angst over MR's potential departure. Thirty years ago I remember similar concern over the early departure of a player (God rest his soul) far more accomplished than MR. The next year we came within a couple of late missed FTs from winning the National Championship.

a lot of angst over MR's potential departure. Thirty years ago I remember similar concern over the early departure of a player (God rest his soul) far more accomplished than MR. The next year we came within a couple of late missed FTs from winning the National Championship.

In 1996 we made the finals after had lost our best player and all time leading scorer after the previous season(Moten) as well as two other starters.

In 2013, we made the final 4 after losing 3 players to the NBA after the previous season(Waiters, Fab Melo, Joseph).

In 2016, we made the final four after losing our best player from the previous season(Christmas).

So Mali leaving clears a starting spot for Battle at SG. Next man up. Now get Diallo in 2017 to replace Battle. The NBA has a stupid business plan that pays 80% of these guys millions before they are ready to play or contribute. It is what it is. Elite college programs just keep the recruiting pipeline moving. That's what we have to do. Hey look at all the millionaires JB/Hop are minting. Come play a year for us and you too can be a millionaire.

maybe the psych majors out there can help with this query. say a guy declares and then decides to return. is he viewed more by the team as a leader or a guy just out for his own. what social dynamics come into play when someone "tests the waters"?

tbonezone said:
maybe the psych majors out there can help with this query. say a guy declares and then decides to return. is he viewed more by the team as a leader or a guy just out for his own. what social dynamics come into play when someone "tests the waters"?
Syracuse psych major here (although supplemented with an NYU MBA lol). My take is that members of the current team like Lydon, DC2, etc would be totally supportive of Malachi testing the waters. After all, it is probably their dream as well.

I would liken it to the movie Bull Durham when on the team bus Costner tells the team that he was once in the show. They would be eager to learn from him what it was really like. If anything the teammates he would be returning to would be all the more happy to have him back. Just my two cents. It's worth what you paid for it!

sounds rational

Lucy-van-pelt-1-.jpg

The released Guantanamo Bay prisoners are treated like Gods by their comrades.
if you survive an ordeal you get an esteem boost. If Mali returned from the NBA combine workouts and testing he would be esteemed. I am not a psychologist, but I slept in the old Holiday Inn in Anchorage. It was the pits.

I look at it like this:

If you have a McDonald's All-American - or, hell, even a consensus Top 50 recruit like Ennis was and Battle is - then you have to go into the season knowing that the player is at least eligible for one-and-done status.

If that player starts every game of the season, averages double figures and wins Regional MOP on a Final Four run, then he's an automatic one-and-done.

It's just how college basketball works nowadays.

Based on this criteria we have to go into 2016-17 knowing full well that Tyus Battle is one-and-done eligible and likely will be going unless he falls flat on his face - which hopefully will not happen. This mentality will prevent headaches and chest pains when he decides to forgo his final three years of eligibility.

The real trick is finding that great college player with a flaw that prevents him from immediately being a high projected draft pick (at least until his junior or senior season) - like a Shabazz Napier, Buddy Hield, Marcus Paige, Denzel Valentine, etc. But that's incredibly difficult and rare - especially at Syracuse where Boeheim places so much value on long, athletic freaks who NBA scouts salivate over.

The released Guantanamo Bay prisoners are treated like Gods by their comrades.

Where did that come from?

Speaking of non-sequitur, during my proctological exam I turned to the doctor and said, "Do you meet a lot of nice people in your line of work?" I was expecting her to say, "No, I only meet a holes." But she just smiled at me and said nothing.

In 1996 we made the finals after had lost our best player and all time leading scorer after the previous season(Moten) as well as two other starters.

In 2013, we made the final 4 after losing 3 players to the NBA after the previous season(Waiters, Fab Melo, Joseph).

In 2016, we made the final four after losing our best player from the previous season(Christmas).

Speaking of non-sequitur, during my proctological exam I turned to the doctor and said, "Do you meet a lot of nice people in your line of work?" I was expecting her to say, "No, I only meet a holes." But she just smiled at me and said nothing.
She didn't want to embarrass you. :D

"The real trick is finding that great college player with a flaw that prevents him from immediately being a high projected draft pick (at least until his junior or senior season) - like a Shabazz Napier, Buddy Hield, Marcus Paige, Denzel Valentine, etc. But that's incredibly difficult and rare - especially at Syracuse where Boeheim places so much value on long, athletic freaks who NBA scouts salivate over."

Nail on the head right here! It matters not what your numbers were or how many games you won, or how far you got in the tournament. The NBA draft is 100% based off future potential.

I prefer natural peanut butter to the brands that use preservatives which have too much sugar in them for my liking. Once you get used to the natural brands, you can't go back. But don't get the 'no salt' alternatives. They're terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom